PDA

View Full Version : Transporting weapons to range in a Jeep...

jloffermann
02-16-2012, 4:44 PM
Hi,
I have a small issue.

From what i've read/been told you need to have your firearm unloaded (unless hunting) in a locked container (glove box does/mostly does not count?) and the ammo in a separate container so you can't load your firearm quickly etc...

Well My jeep only has one locking compartment the glove box. and I can't put a locking center counsel because its a Canadian model with the e brake between the front seats and I have no trunk plus its a soft-top... so far I have only taken my handgun to the range by myself and barrow my friends car with a trunk when I take my ar-15 for some practice. so far he doesnt mind haha.

what can I do to prevent getting in trouble when traveling with my firearm? I go to the range around every 2 months and shoot clay pigeons often. I haven't been pulled over "knock on wood" but I just want to avoid making any LEO angry etc...

thanks for any info I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

jchappies
02-16-2012, 6:28 PM
get yourself a pelican case (or something like it) and lock it when your transporting your guns

stilly
02-16-2012, 6:28 PM
I have an 84 CJ7 hard top with a locking center console and none of that matters because when we go to the range we put our stuff behind the rear seat. What model is this again? Year?

I think that if you were to be pulled over and your gun and ammo are behind the back seat in what is considered the trunk space that it is physically impossible for you to reach them while driving then you should be okay. HOWEVER. Some cops are 2A friendly and some are not and will enforce the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law. If you do all that you can do to make certain that you can not actually get to your guns then if you were to go to court for anything I think you could have a strong case. HOWEVER, your case would not have to be a case if you purchased an accessory or two for your jeep. Have a look at tuffy products. http://www.tuffyproducts.com/

See if you can find something there that you can get to give yourself some added security and then get it and install it or have a competent installer install it for you. Maybe if you even had a locking gun rack that might be acceptable. I am no expert in this field and you get what you pay for though so with that said, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

ojisan
02-16-2012, 7:13 PM
1. No guns in the glove compartment or center console.
2. Handguns must be unloaded and in locked containers. Rifles must be unloaded and in locked containers if passing within 1,000' of a K-12 school. Since you may not know where every school is, I suggest locking all up.
3. Under CA law, ammo can be in the locked container with the gun, just no ammo in the gun. Fed law is different, they want the guns and ammo seperate and out of reach of the occupants. Using the ounce of prevention theme, I keep guns and ammo in seperate containers.

For jeep transport, just have all the guns in locked containers, which could be soft or hard gun cases.
A locked car trunk does qualify as a locked container but it is not the only locked container that can be used.

Librarian
02-16-2012, 7:37 PM
see also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Hunt
02-16-2012, 7:51 PM
do it the easy way get 2 containers, I use a zippered case for each gun put a small lock on it and you are GTG even in when driving through school zones. Keep everything unloaded, locked and ammo seperate. I think you can keep magazines in the same case as the gun but I don't, saves a possible pro
blem with overzealous LE.

Big O
02-16-2012, 9:07 PM
This is a rule of thumb I use for myself. Put a lock (key or combination lock) between you and your weapons. If access can be gained without the use of a key or combination (or a tool to destroy the case or lock itself) you're ok.

Fyathyrio
02-16-2012, 9:26 PM
I carry in my Jeep every time I go shooting, top is off in summer, usually the windows at least are off. I have a variety of hard and soft cases that I lock, I cover my stuff with an old blanket, and I don't stop enroute. Glove box is a no-no, and since the definition of a utility compartment in the vehicle is legally vague, I don't store them in my Tuffy box. Don't drive stupid, go to and from directly, and you're good. Only issue I've had is once at BP checkpoint the drone asked some questions not necessarily pertaining to my citizenship status, but no problems. He was mainly just racial profiling since I'm white and my friend I as shooting with was black.

Oh, and ammo does not have to be stored in a separate container, just don't have it loaded in the weapon. As long as chamber and mag well or cylinder are empty, you're fine with loaded mags or speed loaders in the same locked case as the weapon.

jloffermann
02-17-2012, 4:22 AM
thanks for all the info. I drive a 97 tj only a 4cyl 5spd but only 73k on it when i got it last yr! I'll look into the tuffy cases I plan on ordering 2 pelican cases when i get back to fly to Idaho with my toys. I guess I was doing it right just didn't want any reasons at all to be given hard time.

thanks for all the info anyone have any exp. with the pelican storm i3220 case its not as long as i like only 44in interior but its 14in wide and 8.5in deep I was going to order 2 for when i fly to idaho etc...

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/78/products_id/1756

SAR_boats
02-17-2012, 5:46 AM
3. Under CA law, ammo can be in the locked container with the gun, just no ammo in the gun. Fed law is different, they want the guns and ammo seperate and out of reach of the occupants.

Um, I think you mean this? :::
18 of USC 926A
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Notice that it says not accessible and if the vehicle does not provide for that, THEN locked container. And it doesn't say anything about ammo and gun being separate. (Otherwise you would be breaking federal law when you drive to the AIRPORT to fly with firearm!)

To the OP: Locked container (I prefer Pelican cases) and the ammo can be in the container, as per CA and Fed law.

caboom
02-17-2012, 7:48 AM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/yv4me/Jeep/DSCN1305.jpg
I don't need the rear seat in my TJ, so I bought this at Walmart and bolted it down using the seat bolts. AR's, AK's, range bag, ammo, etc., all fit in no problem. Any rifle up to about 41" long will fit. Anything longer goes in a locked rifle case behind the front seats and covered with a towel. Since the front seats go all the way back against the container, the rifle is all but invisible, even with the top off. Handguns I still lock in ther own case and then put in my "trunk".

Fyathyrio
02-17-2012, 8:23 AM
For my long guns I have a Pelican 1750 that fits perfectly across the back on the wheel wells in my TJ. Works like a shelf, I have room underneath it for targets, ammo, ect. This is with the rear seat removed, I've never tried it with the seat in.

renardsubtil
02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
This is how I travel to and from my range in Livermore in my Jeep. If you're extra paranoid, just take the firearm apart.

CA law pertaining to transport in an SUV is ridonkeylous :rolleyes:

*Btw, you frakkers in your JKs need to wave more :P

I carry in my Jeep every time I go shooting, top is off in summer, usually the windows at least are off. I have a variety of hard and soft cases that I lock, I cover my stuff with an old blanket, and I don't stop enroute. Glove box is a no-no, and since the definition of a utility compartment in the vehicle is legally vague, I don't store them in my Tuffy box. Don't drive stupid, go to and from directly, and you're good. Only issue I've had is once at BP checkpoint the drone asked some questions not necessarily pertaining to my citizenship status, but no problems. He was mainly just racial profiling since I'm white and my friend I as shooting with was black.

Oh, and ammo does not have to be stored in a separate container, just don't have it loaded in the weapon. As long as chamber and mag well or cylinder are empty, you're fine with loaded mags or speed loaders in the same locked case as the weapon.

jloffermann
02-17-2012, 1:11 PM
Haha love it! thanks for all the info. I think im just going to use the pelican case since I travel by airline with them 2 times a yr.

thanks for all the info and pics!

ja308
02-17-2012, 2:43 PM
get yourself a pelican case (or something like it) and lock it when your transporting your guns

The Ziegel engineering company makes case's from aircraft aluminum.
He is at nearly every gunshow and can make cases to the dimensions you require .

His off the shelf cases are less money than you would think and he will discount ,if you ask !

Just offering another option for your consideration . I have nothing to do with this Long Beach, California company.