PDA

View Full Version : Using California Seller's Permit as 2nd proof of residency?

deviljon
02-16-2012, 4:37 PM
I have a Seller's Permit issued by the California Board of Equalization. Is this acceptable as a 2nd POR? Couldn't find anything on this..

Lives_In_Fresno
02-16-2012, 4:48 PM
I have a Seller's Permit issued by the California Board of Equalization. Is this acceptable as a 2nd POR? Couldn't find anything on this..

I doubt it, honestly.

You can have a business here and live in Nevada.

kemasa
02-16-2012, 4:59 PM
I don't think so either, in part because it does not expire. From Wes' residency key, it is required to have a date (utility bill, lease) or expire (other documents). It says it must be valid and not be expired, but the seller's permit does not expire.

ke6guj
02-16-2012, 5:03 PM
I don't think so either, in part because it does not expire.

it might not be acceptable as CA POR, but I think it should it be acceptable for federal "alternative documentation" for when your DL doesn't have your current address on it.

Lives_In_Fresno
02-16-2012, 5:22 PM
it might not be acceptable as CA POR, but I think it should it be acceptable for federal "alternative documentation" for when your DL doesn't have your current address on it.

I understand that you said "should", and therefore that what you said above is your opinion.

I disagree, though, since a seller's permit is a CA doc and requires no proof of anything, really. You can get one of those from sending in a form. I do not believe any verification is done.

ke6guj
02-16-2012, 6:39 PM
I understand that you said "should", and therefore that what you said above is your opinion.right, I specifically used the word "should" and not "would" since YMMV depending on the FFL and what he would accept.

I disagree, though, since a seller's permit is a CA doc and requires no proof of anything, really. You can get one of those from sending in a form. I do not believe any verification is done.

the seller's permit is a .gov-issued document with your name and address on it, which is what ATF says is needed if your photo ID doesn't have your current address on it.

There are many .gov documents that you can can get that would satisfy ATF that don't require any verification be done.

deviljon
02-16-2012, 7:41 PM
So... no solid answers huh?

SVT-40
02-16-2012, 9:26 PM

So you do business out of your home but don't have any billing for your business utilities at that address with your name on it? Or car registration with the same address?

The only issue I can see is the sellers permit is for a "business". The second proof of residence is to establish where you reside not your "business" address.

tenpercentfirearms
02-17-2012, 5:50 AM
The solid answers is:

California: no

Federal: yes

For handguns, California requires the government issued document to have an expiration date or a period of validity. The BOE permit does not have this. So you cannot use it for handguns.

It is a government issued document for the feds so if your DL address does not match your 4473 address, it will satisfy that while a utility bill will take care of the handgun portion.
I disagree, though, since a seller's permit is a CA doc and requires no proof of anything, really. You can get one of those from sending in a form. I do not believe any verification is done.Let's nip this in the bud immediately. PLEASE DO NOT GET IN THE ADDRESS DOCUMENT VERIFICATION GAME! Our jobs as dealers are to simply follow the law. It is none of my business nor do I care if the BOE properly verified your address or not. I am not in the business of deciding if I think the government agency who issued the document is doing a sufficient job or not. That is ludicrous. I am in the business of selling guns and doing so in a professional and smooth manner.

So no way should a dealer be saying, "Well did they verify your address properly? I don't think so, so I won't accept this." I mean do that if you guys want, it is just more business for me.

Learn the residency rules and follow them. The more creative government issued document a customer brings in, the better. As long as it is typed out and not hand written, I don't care. A government issued document is a government issued document.

Well apparently except medical marijuana cards now.

kemasa
02-17-2012, 9:21 AM
The solid answers is:

California: no

Federal: yes

Don't argue with Wes with respect to this issue.

Well apparently except medical marijuana cards now.

Hmmm, well, perhaps, except then you have to deny the transfer.