PDA

View Full Version : Backup sights.. Magpul, Troy or MI

duc748bip
02-16-2012, 4:43 PM
Which one will be enough to hit 12" at 200 yard? best sight picture, crisp aperture, adjust-ability, and returns to the same position when deployed.

I hope the answer will be that all are capable. so i don't have to spend money on equipment and just keep buying bulk ammo and practice.:43:

MXRider
02-16-2012, 4:47 PM
Troy and MI are certainly capable. The Magpul, eh. I had a gen 1 MBUS and thought it was a POS cheesy toy of a sight. My new build has the MI SPLP sight.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MI-Low-Profile-Rear-Sight-SPLP-p/mi%20splp.htm

Also look at KAC micro sights, they are very cool.

wikioutdoor
02-16-2012, 4:53 PM
as a backup sight they are all capable - as a primary sight you may wish to spend more for metal sights for a thinner frame or for micro sights depending on cheek weld or you may decide instead of back up more like mission specific like cqb ect instead.

http://s17.postimage.org/hnqt3v38d/Al0_QMFQCIAAct5.jpg

gun toting monkeyboy
02-16-2012, 4:58 PM
The MBUS are great if you are on a tight budget, or don't plan on using them that much. I have them on a couple of range guns. But metal ones by a decent manufacturer (Not NcStar, UTG, or any of the airsoft ones) will work much better. In terms of value, YHM and MI are probably your best bang for your buck. They are good to very good at a lower price point than the others.

-Mb

ejhc11
02-16-2012, 6:31 PM
You can't go wrong with the rear folding Troys. For rear and front fixed I like the Daniel Defense. I use the Magpul Gen2 under a scope since it'll never fold-up again.

rareair
02-16-2012, 6:59 PM
There's a reason Troy is an OEM supplier to firms such as Ruger, POF-USA, Smith & Wesson, LWRC, Noveske, Spike Tactical, H&K and LaRueTactical.

1 SIG fan
02-16-2012, 7:01 PM
^Not for Lwrc anymore. My first few had Lwrc logod Troys. My last few havent

Arkangel
02-16-2012, 7:03 PM
There's a reason Troy is an OEM supplier to firms such as Ruger, POF-USA, Smith & Wesson, LWRC, Noveske, Spike Tactical, H&K and LaRueTactical.

+1 more for Troy. I use HK front/ DOA rear and I couldn't be happier.

Sniper3142
02-16-2012, 7:05 PM
Troy

/Thread

Dhena81
02-16-2012, 8:34 PM
The Troy Di-Optic rear are absolutely amazing IMO.

For fixed rear I really like LMT.

I personally dislike HK style front sights.

Agent Tikki
02-16-2012, 8:37 PM
Diamondhead.

motorwerks
02-16-2012, 9:27 PM
I have a set of the A.R.M.S. Plastic, a set of gen 1 Magpul, and a set of troy. They all do what they were designed for, they back up an optic. Of them I think I like the AMRS the best. I dig the XS style Handgun style slot and the peep. It has more options. I keep meaning to buy the XS troy replacement but I always find something else to spend that money on.

cwin
02-17-2012, 12:00 AM
+1 for Troy. I'm not really a fan of Magpul sights. They just don't do it for me.

s4alex
02-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Just finishing up my first "budget" build.

I am holding off on the glass and just going to just shoot iron sights for now.

I ALMOST just went with the lemmimngs and went Magpul. But after playing with them on my friends' gun, I really did not like the way they felt or looked.

So, I bit the bullet and went with something substantial. Purchased Troy. DOA with HK front. Will probably not use the front and save it for my next build as I think I am changing out my front post with a Troy Alpha 13".

FrankDux
02-17-2012, 12:13 AM
+1 TROY

pyro3k2
02-17-2012, 12:13 AM
MI or troy and never look back

Target19
02-17-2012, 12:28 AM
All are fine for what your asking.
Don't be cheap when purchasing a RDS or scope though.

robtech
02-17-2012, 1:01 AM
Troy

Doa flip rear and fixed hk front = amazing...even my friends with diff setup ars jock my sights

Ruiner
02-17-2012, 1:27 AM
What do my KAC, Troy and Magpul backup sights have in common?? I've never used them again since zeroing them. :p If these are going to be truly "backup sights" then any one of them will work and I'd be inclined to go with magpul since they are much cheaper. If they are going to be your primary sights for a while then I'd go with the Troy. Fixed sights? The DD ones are solid are are relatively cheap.

Uxi
02-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I think Magpuls are fine, though the tritium Troys dioptics are the Cadillac models if you wanna drop a couple benjamins for something so infrequently used.

duc748bip
02-17-2012, 1:24 PM
I think we all love red dot and optic on our rifles. but last trip I found out how rewarding it feels to shoot group at longer ranges with iron. But I’m not going to switch to A2 upper or get rid of my red dot to do that. So my best option if to put capable backup iron sight and go with that. I had Magpul, never shot with it yet, I don't know the rubber aperture will be clear for precision shooting. I had MI on most of my guns. which is what I use most, But I picked up a set of Troy last week on sale. Going to try that out next time.

SDS-Ruger
02-17-2012, 2:20 PM
The people who don't like MBUS, Why? feel, function, durability. Which gen are you talking about 1 or 2?

s4alex
02-17-2012, 2:35 PM
The people who don't like MBUS, Why? feel, function, durability. Which gen are you talking about 1 or 2?

For me it was the feel of it. I have nothing against Magpul. I use their mags and stock. But the MBUS didn't seem as solid as I would like. It ofcourse may just be my own head playing with me. Plus I didnt like the way the small/large aperture felt, nor did I like that did doesn't lay quite flat.

Just all personal stuff. I may get it for another rifle that I build, but for my current build, I picked Troy.

speedrrracer
02-17-2012, 2:47 PM
The timing on this thread is perfect. Thanks to all

jsr3313
02-17-2012, 3:22 PM
The MagPul Gen2's are supposed to lay flatter than the Gen 1s. As I have never tried the Gen1's I wouldn't know. But my Gen2's seem to be just fine for me. I agree with the large/small aperture on the rear sight, it is kinda...meh. But it does fine for me.

I do have a relatively inexpensive RDS (TruGlo) mounted that I still have to zero (probably set it for cowitness), so I will have less need for the mbus. I will however eventually get a decent close/mid-range (distance) scope.

IF I had to do it again though, I'd probably be more inclined to get the Troy's

kotton
02-17-2012, 3:28 PM
Just sighted in my gen 2 rear MBUS this weekend, and it worked great.