PDA

View Full Version : CALL TO ACTION: Sac City Ammo Tracking & Firearm Theft Reporting!

DrjonesUSA
03-31-2007, 3:38 PM
PLEASE CLICK ON THIS LINK TO SEND A ONE-CLICK EMAIL TO THE SACRAMENTO CITY COUNCIL ASKING THEM TO OPPOSE BOTH PROPOSED ORDINANCES. PHONE NUMBERS ARE ALSO PROVIDED BELOW!!!

YOU SHOULD REMIND THEM THAT THEIR OWN RESEARCH INTO THE FIREARMS LOSS/THEFT REPORTING ISSUE CONCLUDED THAT IT HAS HAD ZERO BENEFIT AND HAS NOT BEEN USED TO SOLVE A SINGLE CRIME EVER, ANYWHERE.

LINK TO ONE-CLICK EMAIL:
http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?year=2007&aex=sacammosales#sacammosales

On Tuesday April 3 at 12:30pm, the Sacramento City Council Law & Legislation Committee will consider two ordinances:

1) Mandatory Maintenance of an Ammunition Sales Log by Firearms Dealers in the city of Sacramento.

2) Mandatory Reporting of Loss or Theft of Firearms.

CONTACT INFO FOR THE LAW & LEGISLATION COMMITTEE MEMBERS:

Sandy Sheedy: (916) 808-7002

Lauren Hammond: 916-808-7005

Steve Cohn: 916-808-7003

Robbie Waters: 916-808-7007

The full staff reports and agenda can be seen here:

http://sacramento.granicus.com/DocumentViewer.php?file=e7a1dc72392ea69d54bd0d5293 7c7aee.pdf

The staff report for Ammunition Sales Tracking begins on page 39 of the above-linked document, and the report for Firearms Loss/Theft Reporting begins on Pg. 49, right after Ammo Sales.

DrjonesUSA
04-01-2007, 1:54 PM
Are you freakin' kidding me???????

M. Sage
04-01-2007, 3:26 PM
My letter might have been a little mean... I felt like a good rant right now anyway...

DrjonesUSA
04-01-2007, 3:28 PM
My letter might have been a little mean... I felt like a good rant right now anyway...

Thanks for your letter!!!

Would you mind copying it here?

mikehaas
04-02-2007, 9:49 AM
Your info is now posted almost verbatim at:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=sacammosales&year=2007
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=saclosstheft&year=2007

Mike

DrjonesUSA
04-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Your info is now posted almost verbatim at:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=sacammosales&year=2007
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=saclosstheft&year=2007

Mike

Cool, THANKS Mike!!!

One little thing: You may want to change the word to a "NO" vote or "Oppose" instead of "NOT".

I also sent you PM.

Thanks!!

mikehaas
04-02-2007, 10:20 AM
The Loss/Theft Reporting ordinance is particularly nasty. This is an example of the new "get around preemption" scheme that LCAV is trying.

Step 1. Pass a state law that is "fluff" (many gun owners go "so what?") but gives localities the abilty to pass stricter versions.

Step 2. Get the localities to pass stricter versions.

The current state bill AB 334...
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab334&year=2007
...failed last year (as SB 59). Vetoed by the governor.

AB 334 requires reporting within 5 days and violation is an 'infraction'. BUT... it gives localities the ability to pass stricter versions.

AND VIOLA... Sacramento tightens the period to 2 days and the violation is a misdemeanor. (That means it can affect your gun-owning rights for minimum 10 years).

Already here on calguns (in other threads) some of our fellow gun-owners have been disagreeing with NRA's opposition, claiming "everyone should report a lost or stolen gun." That isn't the issue, but it's exactly how the anti-gunners want to manipulate you. (After all, there are always a few gun-owners/amatuer lobbyists around who think they know better than NRA.)

And for those who won't contact Sacramento officials because they live elsewhere - WAIT UNTIL THIS CRAP COMES TO *YOUR* CITY. (I don't live there either.)

Mike

DrjonesUSA
04-02-2007, 10:30 AM
TALKING POINTS:

What follows below is from the Sacramento City Council's OWN RESEARCH into the firearm loss/theft reporting issue. I personally transcribed all of this, as I could not copy & paste out of this particular .pdf, so you better read it!!

Link: http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/cgi-bin/pass.cgi?url=calnra.com/local/sacramento/sacmandrepreqrep070210.pdf

"In July 2006, the SPD Criminal Intelligence Unit contacted police departments of the three CA cities with similar ordinances: San Francisco (since 2004), Oakland (since 2003), and Berkeley (since 2001).

Specific questions focused on:

1) The impact of the ordinance on the reduction of crime and the method of measurement.

2) Details of arrests and convictions for violations of the ordinance.

3) revisions in police procedures due to adoption of the ordinance.

The agency personnel contacted:

1) Were unaware of the ordinance,

2) reported that no investigations, arrests, or convictions related to the ordinance existed, and

3) were unaware of any studies of costs of enforcement or impact on crime related to the ordinance.

In October 2006, the SPD Economic Development Unit re-contacted the above-mentioned police departments and consulted with the District Attorney's Offices in Alameda County and SF County.

Results of this survey echoed those of the earlier survey:

1) An experienced inspector in the weapons unit of the SFPD, who reads 3,000 reports every moth, had not handled nor had he heard of any cases in which the ordinance was invoked.

2) A criminal Intelligence Unit Sergeant in the Oakland PD, while aware of the municipal code, had never heard that it had been charged.

3) An Assistant District Attorney for the County of San Francisco in charge of prosecuting misdemeanors was unaware of the existance of the ordinance, and therefore, had never heard of any prosecution involving violation of the ordinance.

4) An Assistant District Attorney for the County of San Francisco stated that he did not believe it would expand his ability to prosecute crime and that it would take special circumstances for the ordinance to be useful in prosecution, n that the person charged would have to be proven cognizant of a burglary or theft of the firearm.

5) An Alameda County Deputy District Attorney who prosecutes weapons charges had not used the ordinance to prosecute and had not heard of anyone else using it.

6) A Berkeley PD Lieutenant also had not used the ordinance nor heard of its use.

In short, no jurisdiction or agency contacted by SPD has been able to provide examples of:

1) investigations or arrests,

2) successful prosecutions,

3) Studies of effectiveness

4) studies of the costs of enforcement, or

5) studies of fees to cover those costs.

Additional notes:

On Sept. 29, 2006, Gov. Schwarzenegger vetoed Senate Bill 59 (mandating reporting of lost or stolen firearms or parts of firearms to law enforcement within 5 working days of the time te person should reasonably have known of the theft or loss). In doing so, the Governor:

1) Noted that the measure "could result in cases where law-abiding citizens face criminal penalties simply because they were the victim of a crime"

2) cited "unproven results of jurisdictions in California that have passed similar measures.

Persons who illegally possess a firearm cannot be required to incriminate themselves by reporting its loss. Haynes v. United States 390 U.S. 62 (1968).

DrjonesUSA
04-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Please take a moment to review Councilwoman Hammond's remarks on the loss/theft reporting, courtesy of Mike Haas:

The video is literally under 2 minutes, so WATCH IT!

http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/video/lhammond1200061213.wmv

6172crew
04-02-2007, 11:03 AM
email sent to sacramentocc070223@muzzleenergy.com for both Sac bills.:)

Come on guys lets flood the email boxes, it will happen to you next and we will be asking the folks in Sac to help us...Contra Costa will try to out do Sac I know they will.

DrjonesUSA
04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
email sent to sacramentocc070223@muzzleenergy.com for both Sac bills.:)

Come on guys lets flood the email boxes, it will happen to you next and we will be asking the folks in Sac to help us...Contra Costa will try to out do Sac I know they will.

THANKS!!!!!!!

mikehaas
04-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Warning: That email address can and will quit working at any moment. Instead, always go to...
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml#contactinfo
...to send ONE-CLICKs (it always uses the latest address)

Note the notice above the ONE-CLICKs...
To prevent email abuse, email addresses used here to send email to legislative bodies will change frequently and without notice. For this reason, we strongly suggest you refer to this web page directly and NOT attempt to save or distribute email addresses used here to send email to legislative bodies.

Just bookmark the above URL and use that.

(The posted ONE-CLICK email addresses can quickly become known to spammers. Because we want our email resources to be considered credible constituent input at the capitol and not blocked as abusive elements, we change them often to defeat the spammers and other types of email abusers.)

Mike

Can'thavenuthingood
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I sent off the One Clicks to Sacramento City Council regarding both ammo reporting and theft/loss.

Vick

mikehaas
04-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Folks, check if your message bounced. muzzleenergy.com (the server that actually does ONE-CLICK email distribution) was off the air this morning, is up now.

If you have your message in a 'Sent Items' folder, it wouldn't hurt to send it again.

Mike

DrjonesUSA
04-02-2007, 7:17 PM
BUMP.

WHO IS COMING TO THE MEETING TOMORROW??

M. Sage
04-02-2007, 7:42 PM
Thanks for your letter!!!

Would you mind copying it here?

Gawd, I'm a horrible writer... Don't think I want everybody seeing it. :o

I'm sending another to cover the ammo sales, too.

ETA: At least I'm not as upset as I was yesterday... :p

Oh, and I'd like to add: how do you get Outlook Express to work? I just copy and paste the email addy to my webmail "to" field....

CA357
04-02-2007, 8:07 PM
I hope to be there. I have to see if I can reschedule something from 1PM, if not, then I can't get there.

DrjonesUSA
04-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Another bump before I get my exhausted butt to bed.....

Can'thavenuthingood
04-03-2007, 8:18 AM
I'll be cheering you on from here as I won't be able to make it up there.

Do you know if this will this be broadcast like the City Council meeting was?

Good Luck,

Vick

DrjonesUSA
04-03-2007, 8:45 AM
I'll be cheering you on from here as I won't be able to make it up there.

Do you know if this will this be broadcast like the City Council meeting was?

Good Luck,

Vick

Not sure if it will be broadcast live (hopefully it will) but it certainly will be recorded & we will be able to post video later!

6172crew
04-03-2007, 8:50 AM
Mike is right, the email I left in my post wasnt to copy/paste but for showing I try to walk the walk, the one click is setup how they want you to email the folks we are trying to sway and its going to be more than one email address we need to hit.

How do they say that? Vote early and oftten.:D

Warning: That email address can and will quit working at any moment. Instead, always go to...
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml#contactinfo
...to send ONE-CLICKs (it always uses the latest address)

Note the notice above the ONE-CLICKs...
To prevent email abuse, email addresses used here to send email to legislative bodies will change frequently and without notice. For this reason, we strongly suggest you refer to this web page directly and NOT attempt to save or distribute email addresses used here to send email to legislative bodies.

Just bookmark the above URL and use that.

(The posted ONE-CLICK email addresses can quickly become known to spammers. Because we want our email resources to be considered credible constituent input at the capitol and not blocked as abusive elements, we change them often to defeat the spammers and other types of email abusers.)

Mike