PDA

View Full Version : OK, what is it?

Tallship
02-16-2012, 3:16 PM
Came across this on an auction site:

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2093&aid=48878&lid=12531630#topoflot

Looks for all the world like a Type 38, but the bolt and handle are wrong. Any ideas?

Noonanda
02-16-2012, 3:26 PM
it looks like a Type I Carcano made for the Japanese. 6.5X50 Arisaka, but built on a carcano action

GOEX FFF
02-16-2012, 3:35 PM
it looks like a Type I Carcano made for the Japanese. 6.5X50 Arisaka, but built on a carcano action

^^ Correct

Dr.Mauser
02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
One of the shops here in Sac has 2 or 3 of them here. Interesting guns, that's for sure.

McNally M.
02-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Are these rare rifles? I was unaware that the Italians made these for the Japanese.

GOEX FFF
02-17-2012, 1:05 AM
Are these rare rifles? I was unaware that the Italians made these for the Japanese.

The Type I was made in Italy for Japan in the late 1930's (38-39) when Italy became an Allied Axis power with Japan.
They were used primarily by Imperial Japanese Naval forces. Rare, no. But obviously compared to the vast numbers of Arisaka, production numbers were much, much less.
These are also chambered in 6.5 Japanese and not 6.5 Carcano.

Type I Serial numbers observed or reported according to "Japanese Contract Rifles" by White and Allan, with totals assuming production at 10K per series -

Series A-F - Gardone - (this initial run also includes no letter prefix rifles) 70K
Series G-J - FNA, Brescia - 40K
Series J-L - Beretta - 30K

Sampachi
02-17-2012, 12:24 PM
You got all the information needed from Goex FFF.
I would say they are "uncommon" but not rare. From what I've heard, the IJN sailors didn't like them because of the "not made here" syndrome. Most are in very good to excellent, almost unissued condition. They tend to be quite accurate, maybe due to not being used much?

GOEX FFF
02-17-2012, 1:05 PM
You got all the information needed from Goex FFF.
I would say they are "uncommon" but not rare. From what I've heard, the IJN sailors didn't like them because of the "not made here" syndrome. Most are in very good to excellent, almost unissued condition. They tend to be quite accurate, maybe due to not being used much?

I would venture to say that is indeed true.
The Japanese were loyal to all that was Japan and arms owned by Hirohito (Shōwa Emperor; 昭和天皇)