PDA

View Full Version : AR build?

jtkkz
02-16-2012, 2:54 PM
has anyone had experience building there own AR rifle?

buy a lower from an FFL dealer and buying a complete parts kit and build it yourself.

CHS
02-16-2012, 3:00 PM
Pretty much everyone on this board has.

What questions, specifically, are you looking to have answered?

mod1217
02-16-2012, 3:11 PM
Actually it's harder to find somebody here who has an ar that hasn't build one yet

Ok next question lol

gun toting monkeyboy
02-16-2012, 3:25 PM
Welcome to the board. I'd say use the search function, but as you will discover, it really, really sucks. And as the others have noted, pretty much everybody here has built an AR or two at some point or another.

Here is the gist of what everybody on here is going to say:

Yes, it is easy. Shop around and get the best price you can. Lowers all work the same if they are made by a decent manufacturer. They are the only part that is considered a firearm. Try to find one locally to save on shipping and transfer fees. You can usually buy them for $80-110 plus all the usual fees and taxes. Pick one with a rollmark on the side that you like. Buy a lower parts kit and whichever stock set up amuses you. Go to youtube and watch the videos on how to put together a lower receiver. Even a dyslexic monkey can manage it. Trust me, I know. Now go find an upper that amuses you. Be sure that it comes with a Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) and charging handle. If not, buy those too. Attach the upper to your lower and go shoot. That is it.

You can, of course, build your upper from scratch too. But that requires a few extra tools that just aren't worth the cost if you are only putting together one or two uppers. If you still want to put all your parts together instead of buying a complete upper, find a gun store that will assemble all the parts you bring in for a nominal fee. Some will do so for free if you buy the upper receiver or several parts from them. Others will usually charge between $20-40 to build it for you. If they want more than that, go elsewhere.

-Mb

SDRider858
02-16-2012, 3:26 PM
lol this is comedy. Sorry OP i know this is your first post and all, but just look at the 1000000+ plus post about AR15s in this one subforum, I am sure you will find someone who has built one of these.

clutchy
02-16-2012, 3:27 PM
building a lower is actually pretty easy. Youtube has some great instructional videos on how to do it. the roll pins are always the crux...

cwin
02-17-2012, 8:30 AM
Yes, building an entire AR is pretty straight forward. There are plenty of videos out there. I know brownells has an entire series of videos that show the basics of putting one together from scratch.

jtkkz
02-17-2012, 11:05 AM
thank you for all the responses

This will be my first AR build, I have never owned an AR, I have own a mini14 for many years.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Follow the Assault Weapons flow chart at the top of the page to avoid building an illegal assault weapon. Other than that, have fun. They are easy to build and addicting.

-Mb

CoyoteHunter555
02-17-2012, 11:18 AM
^That

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Lower is real easy to do!
Have fun

Akers
02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
DieselPower has a nice tutorial on here as to materials needed, if you were ever good at legos then you will be fine.

What I did was built one and then 7 more to make sure I knew the process well enough to speak on it. Its an addiction.

russ69
02-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Easy as falling off a log.

stix213
02-17-2012, 1:18 PM
Wait, we can build AR's in California? How did I not know this ;)

Yeah they are not very hard at all. Just follow the youtube instructions to the letter and it should work first try. Make sure to function check when finished and also to keep it legal with regard to CA nanny state law. (for the children)

TwinStick
02-17-2012, 1:22 PM
Easy as falling off a log.

Russ! Don't post another post. You have 1911 right now. Don't...say...a word!

jtkkz
02-17-2012, 1:23 PM
yes definitely building a Ca. compliant AR with bullet button

Buying a lower from a local FFL dealer
Complete parts kit (upper already assembled from factory) from local dealer as well.

I mainly will just need to assemble the lower

TwinStick
02-17-2012, 1:25 PM
yes definitely building a Ca. compliant AR with bullet button

Buying a lower from a local FFL dealer
Complete parts kit (upper already assembled from factory) from local dealer as well.

I mainly will just need to assemble the lower

That's what I did on my first also. Good idea. Once you've done that, you realize how easy the upper would be to assemble also.

DrScorpio
02-17-2012, 2:37 PM
For my 1st AR I also assembled my own lower from a stripped lower and parts while purchasing a completed upper. I built mine just a few months ago so I can tell you my experience.

For instructions, youtube is a wealth of information. You pretty much can choose whichever guide you want. If you dont understand one video, or the camera angles are bad, just go watch another one.

You will probably want some sort of punch kit, a brass hammer and some masking tape (if you dont want to scratch the lower). An AR-15 vice will help a lot. I didnt have one so I had a lot of trouble. A friend can help since a lot of times, I wished I had a 3rd hand to hold something. Small springs will be flying around! There is no avoiding this your first time. Be in an environment where you can find it when it does.

An experienced person can assemble a lower in like 15min, it took me almost 2 hours since all I had for a guide was youtube and I kept second guessing myself. It is definitely doable, but it helps to have someone experienced nearby.

Sgt. J Beezy
02-17-2012, 2:40 PM
Build an 80% lower and F the man

exp0zure
02-17-2012, 2:42 PM
buy extra take down pin detents. you might lose an eye form those parts flying :chris:

gun toting monkeyboy
02-17-2012, 3:16 PM
buy extra take down pin detents. you might lose an eye form those parts flying :chris:

I shot the first detent on my first build straight up my nose. Extra detents are nice to have as insurance. As everybody has said, they are easy once you see it done. You need a bunch of tools and extra hands for the first one. After that it gets easier. I have literally put one together with a plastic chopstick and a rock. I probably didn't need the chopstick. Use masking or electrical tape for your first one so that you don't mar the finish. And remember that the disconnector spring goes in wide side down. Otherwise you will never get it together. Guess how I know this... :facepalm:

-Mb

Tyson
02-18-2012, 1:13 PM
After I shot the front detent spring across the dining room, I started retaining the set up with a utility razor blade. It still allows the retention while inserting the pin into the receiver. It works well or at least did for me.