PDA

View Full Version : want to look into opening a gun range

opouly
02-16-2012, 12:17 PM
hi i was sitting here thinking about opening a gun range ither indoor or outdoor im not sure witch but what are the regulations and other stuff i would have to go thru to get a range? thanks =D

pointedstick
02-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Feed not the :troll:!

Ubermcoupe
02-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Finding a city/county that would allow it would be your first hurdle.
Then finding a building (indoor) or property (outdoor)
Then construction and insurance.

Doable, but by no means a small task.

Good luck! :)

BTW: Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around.
(Check out the Welcome section (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=63))

opouly
02-16-2012, 12:43 PM
so any suggestions on city/county? im in the san gabriel area

and thanks my parrents are on here all the time and i figured you guys would be the best place for advice =P

TempleKnight
02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
The NRA can help you. Contact NRA shooting range services at this link:

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/index.asp

LHC30
02-16-2012, 12:56 PM
so any suggestions on city/county? im in the san gabriel area

and thanks my parrents are on here all the time and i figured you guys would be the best place for advice =P

how about in Upland. they have several underutilized commercial areas.

MontClaire
02-16-2012, 1:04 PM
Welcome to forum. Excellent idea just don't give up! Try NRA, then contact one of attorney's here and they might help you do it right.

Lives_In_Fresno
02-16-2012, 1:06 PM
Starting any kind of business is difficult, and costly. Make sure you have a solid business plan, and enough funds to keep yourself and the business afloat for at least six month.

Good luck!

Curley Red
02-16-2012, 1:50 PM
First thing you need to do is contact the city and see which areas are zoned for a gun range and if they will even allow one. If you can get through all the red tape you will have to bring full color designs to that city for planning review which can take up to 6 months easily. If they approve then you need to secure insurance which ain't going to be cheap. I hope you understand you are talking about spending well over 6 figures to build a range. By the time you open the doors you might be well over 500 to 600 thousand easily out of pocket. You probably will not find an existing building that you can just go in and open a firing range. I hope you know how to deal with local municipalities and the building department including the local fire department. What you want to do is not an easy or cheap task.

proclone1
02-16-2012, 3:34 PM
First thing you need to do is contact the city and see which areas are zoned for a gun range and if they will even allow one. If you can get through all the red tape you will have to bring full color designs to that city for planning review which can take up to 6 months easily. If they approve then you need to secure insurance which ain't going to be cheap. I hope you understand you are talking about spending well over 6 figures to build a range. By the time you open the doors you might be well over 500 to 600 thousand easily out of pocket. You probably will not find an existing building that you can just go in and open a firing range. I hope you know how to deal with local municipalities and the building department including the local fire department. What you want to do is not an easy or cheap task.

Oh, the irony of it being easier to open a federally-illegal medicinal-marijuana dispensary than to open a business where patrons practice a constitutionally-guaranteed right.

darkwater
02-16-2012, 7:28 PM
You'd need a chunk of change to start an indoor range. My uncle priced the components recently...an EPA approved negative air pressure system $185k, bullet trap $80k, and $50k for 10 stations with an automated target retrieval system...at least $315k total for starters.

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 10:04 AM
You'd need a chunk of change to start an indoor range. My uncle priced the components recently...an EPA approved negative air pressure system $185k, bullet trap $80k, and $50k for 10 stations with an automated target retrieval system...at least $315k total for starters.
+ the property, permit fees, inspection fees, insurance (if its public) etc.

ontargetrange
02-17-2012, 1:14 PM

Don't know where he got those numbers from, but to date I tell everyone that it will cost you (not including buying the building) $115,000 PER LANE for the range area and then you have to decide what you will stock for your retail support areas and classroom.

A negative airflow system materials alone are over $250,000 for ten lanes without the installation, permits and engineering.

Count on this taking at least a year to put together and all of the heartache that goes with it.

vincewarde
02-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Don't forget that if you are renting property, you should get a very long lease, or one with options for extension with protections against severe rent increases. Any business that makes a lot of "leasehold improvements" can put themselves in a difficult situation when their lease is up. It's easy to end up turning over a "turn key" facility to the landlord who can the charge a lot more than they would ever get for a bare industrial space. This is definitely a concern in the church world, where we have to make substantial improvements in order to use industrial spaces. I would want it made clear that all installed range and safety equipment remains my property and leaves with me.

Even with all of that, remember that if you ever move you will have huge expenses and have to go through the whole use permit process - complete with NIMBY issues.

Bottom line: Your lease will be critically important.

razr
02-18-2012, 3:19 PM
You could easily do over 100K on monthly credit card transactions alone. So, do it! And yes finding, renting, operating would be difficult.