PDA

View Full Version : Some Help on my new AR.

Sturnovik
02-16-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm taking my new AR out next week and its spikes lower with bushmaster poly upper. I took it apart and figured out how to take the bolt out and firing pin and a few other things, and I'm not trying to excite the masses of people who say it only has to be lubed a little or it has to be doused in lube to run correctly. What do you guys typically use when lubing your .223/5.56 AR? I just got a bottle of slip 2000.

The rifle was absolutely dry sounding since it was sitting in the shop for months, and its mainly the buffer spring making the noise. I took out the bolt from the carrier the cam pin that rotates and well didnt douse, but put a good amount since it seemed like it needed to be worked in. Am I on the right path here?

Really anything is appreciated.

I've been going off of a old army manual and colt m16a2/m4 manual from the 90's and wanting to get some opinions.

McTerry
02-16-2012, 11:38 AM
OXIsKEHo-4g

Sturnovik
02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
OXIsKEHo-4g

Ok taking a look at the video, having to watch it on my phone though. When it comes to lubing the actual bolt, should I only rub it on the bolt itself and/or in the hole in the bolt carrier that it slides into?

I've always been taught, at least with pistols, that the recoil spring, similar to the spring in the file, should be cleaned and wiped dry and never soaked with a tone of lube, if any at all. It the same on all AR's? Keeping in mind its a poly bushmaster upper.

McTerry
02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
You should be fine just lubing the bolt itself. It all really boils down to how much shooting are you going to do? If you are planning on running a thousand rounds through it in one outing then I would be a little more generous with the lube. If you are only running a couple hundred rounds down range then a light coat should be fine. You can always take the time to strip it down at the range and check to make sure everything is running right and nothing is dried out.

You may have to lube slightly more frequently when breaking in a new weapon but just take your time, keep your ears open and never neglect your firearm.

This is my personal practice and I am in no way a professional by any stretch of the imagination but as long as you keep a good cleaning regime and such you should never have to slather anything in oil to the point that it runs out of the firearm.

Slip2000 is good stuff so you really shouldn't have any problems.

duggan
02-16-2012, 12:36 PM
That vid is pretty much how I lube mine however I put a very light coat on the buffer and spring just for S&G since I rarely remove either of those when I do a quick clean out.

CHS
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't clean my AR's at all.

I use ATF or FMO-AW oil and FGL-0 grease. For my standard 5.56 AR's:

A small layer of grease on the bolt lugs, paying attention to the rears and sides. Leave the bolt-face dry.

A drop of oil on each carrier rail. A thin film of oil on the underside of the carrier. A drop of oil into the cam pin area (alternatively, remove the cam pin and give it a thin film), and then a drop of oil into each gas-relief hole on the side of the carrier. Then I work the bolt back and forth to work it into the gas rings.

I also put a drop of grease on all the sear surfaces in the FCG. One on the trigger sear, one on the hammer sear, one on the hammer disconnector catch, and one on the disconnector hook.

That's the only lubrication I do, with no cleaning of my AR's, and they are 100% reliable.

NorCalK9.com
02-16-2012, 1:05 PM
Just spray wd40 into the bcg every now and then and you'll be fine!

therza2071
02-16-2012, 1:18 PM
I use purple wheel bearing grease on the FCG's of some of my weapons, but I wouldn't use it on my AR's BCG. It seems to be too thick.

I do use synthetic motor oil, though. Mine seem to run really well on Mobil 1 20w50 V-TWIN, but almost any weight should work.

gil671
02-16-2012, 2:14 PM

I agree. WD40 will be fine.

CHS
02-16-2012, 2:58 PM

I agree. WD40 will be fine.

Please, no one listen to these guys.

WD40 isn't bad for cleaning guns, but DO NOT use it as a lube. It's a terrible lube to begin with, and on top of that combined with the heat and blast in a DI gun can turn to a sticky varnish that will gum up your action.

McTerry
02-16-2012, 3:25 PM
Please, no one listen to these guys.

WD40 isn't bad for cleaning guns, but DO NOT use it as a lube. It's a terrible lube to begin with, and on top of that combined with the heat and blast in a DI gun can turn to a sticky varnish that will gum up your action.

CHS is correct. Don't pick up bad habits. i remember as a child (some 25 years ago) cleaning guns with grandpa used to involve things like WD40, Steel Wool, and even pocket knives. There really is no reason for this in this day and age.

As far as the Buffer Spring goes. I will pull it out, wipe it down, maybe hit it with some CLP, then wipe it completely dry with a clean cloth before reinstalling it in the tube. My goal is to clean it but not lube it.

Wodsworthy
02-16-2012, 3:35 PM
I have mine doused in Slip2k.

I read this pretty interesting article by Pat Rogers, some food for thought of course...

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Lubrication-Cleaning-by-t19367.html

OXIsKEHo-4g

And you guys should google "James Yeager controversy" He's the one that posted the video that you linked and ... I'll let you guys be surprised at what you see...

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

McTerry
02-16-2012, 3:49 PM
Didn't realize who he was. That's interesting, but doesn't really concern me as far as lubing and oiling techniques. Apparently there is quite a bit of controversy in regards to him and his Training Courses though.

Sturnovik
02-16-2012, 4:56 PM
I was going to say wd40 seems like the wrong thing to lube it with. And thanks for the advice so far! I'm hopping this poly bushmaster upper runs fine!

And to answer the other members question I'm only putting 100-115 rounds max.

I'm more worries about the sighting in process.

Sturnovik
02-17-2012, 7:57 AM
I don't clean my AR's at all.

I use ATF or FMO-AW oil and FGL-0 grease. For my standard 5.56 AR's:

A small layer of grease on the bolt lugs, paying attention to the rears and sides. Leave the bolt-face dry.

A drop of oil on each carrier rail. A thin film of oil on the underside of the carrier. A drop of oil into the cam pin area (alternatively, remove the cam pin and give it a thin film), and then a drop of oil into each gas-relief hole on the side of the carrier. Then I work the bolt back and forth to work it into the gas rings.

I also put a drop of grease on all the sear surfaces in the FCG. One on the trigger sear, one on the hammer sear, one on the hammer disconnector catch, and one on the disconnector hook.

That's the only lubrication I do, with no cleaning of my AR's, and they are 100% reliable.

Pretty amazing, sounds like pretty low maintenance!

I have mine doused in Slip2k.

I read this pretty interesting article by Pat Rogers, some food for thought of course...

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Lubrication-Cleaning-by-t19367.html

And you guys should google "James Yeager controversy" He's the one that posted the video that you linked and ... I'll let you guys be surprised at what you see...

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Haha yea I remember that video with the photographer very well.

Glad to hear Slip 2000 is getting more popular.