PDA

View Full Version : Stolen C&R Help?

TRAP55
02-16-2012, 11:16 AM
A couple of recent Krag threads here, got me to thinking maybe my fellow Calgunners could help me out.
Back in 91 my house in Clovis,Ca was burglarized. They got almost all my long gun collection, valued well over $45K. I know an ex roommate had something to do with it, because I had the serial numbers and full description of each gun cataloged and hidden. He was the only person that knew where that was, and it went with the guns.
In the 20+ years since, not one, of at least 36 of these guns has shown up. I only need to find one, to find out where the rest are. Three are family heirlooms I would like to recover, while I'm still on this earth. Two of those would stand out in the crowd.

My great uncle was in a reserve artillery unit in WWI France. They were issued Krags, and he brought his home. He gave it to me.
The rifle is all military except the stock. He cut the stock back to the band, grafted in a pistol grip, and carved some crude floral design on it.

My grandfather gave me his early 50's vintage Savage 99, in .300 Savage. This one will be harder to ID, because it looks like most 99's. there is a small "unique" ding on the upper right side of the barrel, about 6" behind the front sight. Last time I saw it, it had a Weaver scope mounted on it, and a factory dovetail plug in the rear sight dovetail.

My dad's M-1 Carbine. This one will stand out like a sore thumb. It's an Underwood, in a Fajen monte carlo stock, schnabel shaped forend flat on the end. The barrel has all the milling marks and sight step draw filed and polished out, high gloss blue, Williams front ramp sight with a custom large brass bead. Trigger housing has a red hue from bluing. Scope and mount installed in the rear dovetail. Buttplate and pistol grip cap hand made from polished brass plate.

I'm offering $1000 for the return of any one of these three, "no questions asked", if it has to be that way. $3000 if it leads to the recovery of more.
My cell is 707-410-9849. Write it down on a piece of paper, and put it in your wallet. If you think you see one of these guns at a gun show, call, text, send a pic. Find one, and I'll replace that piece of paper with a wad of $100 bills.

C&Rtrader
02-16-2012, 1:34 PM
Thats terrible. I am always looking at M1s. will keep an eye out.

brownfeathermedic
02-16-2012, 1:45 PM
Good Luck. I should have joined CG'S sooner.Someone would have been able to keep their eyes out for my M-1 and Ruger Security Six Stainless 6 in. in Black Bianci Holster. they were stolen in Fresno in 81-82.

yuccales
02-17-2012, 7:18 AM
I hate to hear stories like this. Sure hope you guys get your guns back someday.

TheExpertish
02-17-2012, 12:42 PM
So I take it with the roster gone were you still able to report them stolen?

I wonder if/when AB 809 takes affect that suddenly many of these missing guns will suddenly turn up.

littlejake
02-17-2012, 1:44 PM
Not to beat up on the OP.... there is a lesson here. If you can afford $45k in firearms, you can afford a secure safe(s). Plus, there is wisdom in having redundant off-site documentation that wouldn't be lost to theft or fire.

I'm sure the OP would agree that having a copy of his documentation would increase his chances of recovery. Reporting them would be difficult with that info lost -- so, redundant documentation off-site (family, safe deposit box, et cetera.)

OP: Sorry for your loss.

Kindest Regards,

Jake

TRAP55
02-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Jake, no offense taken, but you have made an assumption the rifles were not secure. As I stated earlier, there was only one other person that I trusted like a brother, that could have removed them.
That's 20yrs of water under the bridge now. My primary concern is the recovery of the rifles.

PEZHEAD265
02-18-2012, 7:10 AM
Trap55 post that info on the Springfield trapdoor sight about the krag some one there might of saw it.I just hope in your case that it was not restocked and put back into org. configuration.Hope you get them back.

olhunter
02-18-2012, 7:24 AM
So I take it with the roster gone were you still able to report them stolen?

Does your burglary report, if there is one, have detailed descriptions?

If you or someone else finds them, how will you prove they're yours without any documentation or photographs?

I wrote down your phone number and will keep my eyes open, but it seems you might be in a pickle when it comes to proving ownership.

TheExpertish
02-18-2012, 8:54 AM
Jake, no offense taken, but you have made an assumption the rifles were not secure. As I stated earlier, there was only one other person that I trusted like a brother, that could have removed them.
That's 20yrs of water under the bridge now. My primary concern is the recovery of the rifles.

Yeah, to me no amount of water under the bridge would keep me from busting his nose if someone crossed me like that.

littlejake
02-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Apologize for making the assumption they were not in secure storage.

I imagine, at the time, the betrayal hurt more than the loss of property.

TRAP55
02-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Apologize for making the assumption they were not in secure storage.

I imagine, at the time, the betrayal hurt more than the loss of property.
More than you can imagine.:( This is kind of hard for me to do, it opens up a lot of old wounds. The monetary loss I can get over, the three I listed are priceless to me, they are my primary and only concern, the rest is dust in the wind.
Guns were reported, but not much could be done without serial numbers. Later discovered a dirty LEO was involved on the receiving end, so that answered the question why it wasn't pursued. I don't want to get into that here, so I'll leave it with 'nuff said.
Without going into details, those three can be positively ID'ed. The person in possession will have to prove they were obtained legally. Possession of stolen property is one thing, possession of a stolen firearm is going to take some explaining, a whole lot of explaining when the total loss of property exceeded $100K.
Anyone that can find a way around that, would find it "far more profitable" to do the right thing selling the gun back to me, than have me for a living nightmare 24/7.:)

McNally M.
02-18-2012, 3:27 PM
My sincerest apologies for what happened TRAP55. I cannot begin to fathom the torment that I would personally experience should I have had anything like that happen to me. Of the rifles I own, none really have any sentimental value but to have them unlawfully taken away from me by a person that I would regard as my brother would be a devastating loss to me and an ever greater emotional trauma in knowing that I was betrayed like that.

I am so very sorry for that and most of all for the loss of your heirlooms. I wish you all the best in your search and hope that calguns will provide some level of consolation to you via either promising leads and through any helpful information.

covingtonhouse
02-18-2012, 3:38 PM
I wonder if/when AB 809 takes affect that suddenly many of these missing guns will suddenly turn up.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering how 809 will help if the guns were sold prior to the implementation of the bill? I thought only transfers from that point were required to be DROS'd? Hopefully someone would maybe transfer it after that time period, but without serial number info, how would it make it into the database as a stolen C&R? Just curious.... And if someone buried the report, there mightn't be any info on file at all regarding this crime, which would really suck. TRAP55,it sounds like you lost more than just guns in this whole situation. That really, really sucks.

FourTenJaeger
02-18-2012, 11:34 PM
I'll keep an eye out in Arizona. Sometimes people try to pass off stolen guns on Backpage. Always worth a shot to look.