View Full Version : SKS Problems, Need Help

02-16-2012, 9:45 AM

As some of you know, I recently picked up a Bubba'd Russian SKS and am in the process of restoring it (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=519247)

I am having problems with the cleaning rod that I picked up from the Ventura gun show. I made sure that it was 17". The problem that I am having is that it it is not seating properly in the two U shaped rings at the end of the barrel.

Here is what I am talking about:

For the life of me, I cannot get it any farther then that point. The stock is Chinese and I suspect it is for a Para. Any help is appreciated.

As I looked into it further, I noticed this (It is either the rod is to long, or the stock needs some modification):

The rod is stopping on that magazine hook. Is it supposed to sit above that piece, or is the rod to long?

Paulie Lugnuts
02-16-2012, 9:55 AM
I know on ours its hard to get in and out. You have to bend it some. Should look like this when you're done. Oops, wrong pic, let me try again.
This is the one.

02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I am now leaning towards the cleaning rob being to long. Can this be true?

02-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Open the blade 90 degrees and try that.

02-16-2012, 12:28 PM

+1 let it dangle strait down then it should slide in

02-16-2012, 12:31 PM

Tried that, not working. The think quite litterally stops at the spot shown in the picture, and in the second pic you can see that it is resting at that spot and that is keeping it from moving any more forward. Either the stock needs to be modified to let the rod move above that notch or the rod itself is to long

02-16-2012, 12:48 PM
17" for a Russian is correct. What you can do is cut the rod down to fit and then re-thread it. You also said its a Chinese stock. The Chinese rods varied between 17" and 17 1/4". If you need help PM me. Also when you are trying to stab into place, twist it some and see if that helps. Also, where are you measuring that rod from? And where did you get the rod from? Was it CTD? I had a similar case with someone else about a year ago. I cut it down and threaded it for him. It was 17 1/4" Measure from end to end. The stock would have nothing do do with this.

02-16-2012, 1:40 PM
Nearly broke out in a sweat seeing that an SKS had a problem. PHEW!

I had that happen to a Romanian SKS. I couldn't figure out why either.