PDA

View Full Version : Can't shoot my EBR worth a darn.....

HskrVern
02-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Just picked up a Bushmaster M4A3 patrol rifle in Utah and I can't shoot the dang thing to save my life. I was going to get a Colt 6920 but the wait on it was outrageous so I settled. I'm pretty sure I made a mistake and want to dump that plastic piece of junk for a G20. It really aggrivates me because I can shoot the Navy issued Colt M4s pretty darn good. What do yall think, keep the POS or trade it in for a G20?

NorCalK9.com
02-16-2012, 10:31 AM
What do you mean you cant shoot it worth a darn?
Accuracy?
Having hIccups?
Bad trigger?

russ69
02-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Just picked up a Bushmaster M4A3 patrol rifle...and want to dump that plastic piece of junk...What do yall think, keep the POS or...

Are you sure you don't like it?

HskrVern
02-16-2012, 10:43 AM
What do you mean you cant shoot it worth a darn?
Accuracy?
Having hIccups?
Bad trigger?

Accuracy, it functions fine otherwise. When I qualified in the Navy I could shoot out the little black target prone. With the bushmaster I'm getting 2" groups at 25 yards prone. It's a 1/9 twist and I've run 55 and 45gr ammo through it.

INDABZ
02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Chk barrel nut to see if it's loose or any slop with barrel an upper rcvr...

Have you tried different brands of ammo?

b.faust
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
What kind of ammo are you running through it?

(Brand? Cheapo plinky? Match? Handloads?)

Dhena81
02-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Check the crown of the barrel and shoot different ammo through it. If everything is good or still not satisfactory I would first try the store you bought it from and see if they'll do anything otherwise send it to the factory have them look at it. I couldn't in good conscious sell a defected firearm to someone else unless I knew it was just the way the gun was supposed to behave.

HskrVern
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
What kind of ammo are you running through it?

(Brand? Cheapo plinky? Match? Handloads?)

I've run Remington bulk 45gr HP and winchester 55gr silvertips, and 55gr freedom munitions. Everything seems nice and tight with no obvious problems anywhere.

cbaer5
02-16-2012, 11:11 AM
It sounds like you really wanted the colt. keep the one you got, put a deposit on the colt you want and either save the money during the wait or sell the one you got just before the wait is over. The point is the rifle you got is already used you might as well get some use out of it before you dump it. The worst case you end up with two ARs but thats not a bad problem to have.

b.faust
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Winchester always seems to suck for me. I get wide open groups.

If it was me, before I completely gave up, sold it, or sent it back for a look over, I'd bag it on the bench and run 20 rounds of Federal Match or something similar through it.

Also what kind of groups are you getting? I.E. What are you expecting vs what are you getting?

TNP'R
02-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Bushmaster m4a3 patrolmans rifle isn't plastic..You sure you don't have the carbon 15 model? Because the m4a3 patrolmans rifle is aluminum.

NorCalK9.com
02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Wow 2in @ 25yards?
You sure its the rifle?
Maybe the trigger is hard and your pulling rather than squeezing?

HskrVern
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Winchester always seems to suck for me. I get wide open groups.

If it was me, before I completely gave up, sold it, or sent it back for a look over, I'd bag it on the bench and run 20 rounds of Federal Match or something similar through it.

Also what kind of groups are you getting? I.E. What are you expecting vs what are you getting?

Honestly at 25 yards I am at a minimum expecting less than 1". I'll try getting some top quality match ammo and see what happens....

Bushmaster m4a3 patrolmans rifle isn't plastic..You sure you don't have the carbon 15 model? Because the m4a3 patrolmans rifle is aluminum.

I use that as a generic term for ar-15 rifles.

Wow 2in @ 25yards?
You sure its the rifle?

I qualified sharpshooter in the Navy, I can shoot darn well with the M4s on the USS Eisenhower. Maybe I should have snuck one of those off the boat when I left.....

goodlookin1
02-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Dont kid yourself into thinking that there's any real difference between any of the standard run-of-the-mill M4geries out there. If you're a colt fanboy, just own the title and save up for it. But it's not going to shoot any better than the rifle currently in your possession. It's luck of the draw. I've seen more expensive rifles not shoot as well as the cheapest of AR-15's. It can happen....it could be a fault in the barrel forging process or something too....so harmonic being way off, or a burr at the muzzle, etc. Colt is not immune to manufacturing deficiencies.

Dont get me wrong, Colt's are nice.

But so are most of all the other M4geries out there.

m03
02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I use that as a generic term for ar-15 rifles.

Funny, I thought that's what the term "ar-15" was supposed to be used for :) M4A3 seems to denote a very specific model or configuration.

NorCalK9.com
02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
@op hope you figure it out bud, that kinda sux!

FeuerFrei
02-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Smells like a barrel issue to me.
You should be shooting <1"@25yds with Wolf Classic ammo!
Check all the obvious things first. Loose barrel nut or not torqued? FH is off set?
These things have a chrome lined barrel and may have a spot in there that is rough?
Barrel.
Send it back if all else fails.

mod1217
02-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Wow 2in @ 25yards?

+1 on the trigger,

I dont claim to be as good as you when it comes to shooting an AR-15 but I had the same problem with one of my build (I got 3 ar-15 build) and always blame the gun, but when I update the trigger to a Timney trigger I sudenly having 1.5in group @ 100 yards the same as all my other ar-15.

Its funny cause all my build started out as dpms LPK but somehow the trigger on this particular rifle dont agree with me.

Coyotegunner
02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
If it has a muzzle thingy on it.Look in it with a flashlight,unloaded of course.Had a custom muzzle brake installed on a rifle a few years back and he did not ream the brake.Every bullet hit the side and found out I was keyholing at 15 ft..Stupid me had shot about 20 rds at 50 yds and never hit the target once,before walking up to the target.
I have a few of the AR set ups with DPMS uppers.I do not say a thing when people tell me to get something better from a new company.I reload for everything.The uppers I have shoot sub 5/8" at 100 yds.If you have access to someone that reloads or a variety of ammo,then find what it likes.These other guys I agree with on the trigger quality.I have made mine work much better with no creep and 3 lbs of pull.It really has nothing to do with the accuracy,just how I shoot it.

tonyxcom
02-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Wut?

hmhoshino
02-16-2012, 4:55 PM
Which rear peep sight are you using, the one with tiny hole peep sight or the one with the big hole peep sight. Just check and see if you have the right peep sight up. That maybe the reason why you can't get a tight grouping.

That is a common reason for a soldier not qualifying his weapon. If it isn't reason for your problem just send the gun back.

jeffrice6
02-16-2012, 5:00 PM
I would have someone else shoot it & confirm your issue. If it is the rifle, contact Bushmaster & send it back.