PDA

View Full Version : Can a non-FFL (individual) ship to a CA FFL?

runway1
02-16-2012, 7:47 AM
Can a non-FFL (individual) ship to a CA FFL for me to purchase? Thanks all!

PolishMike
02-16-2012, 7:49 AM
Yes but many FFL's have policies against this. Ask the FFL you are looking to have it shipped to.

drkphibr
02-16-2012, 7:52 AM
Short answer is yes.

Long answer from CA DOJ's website, FAQ's (FAQ #2):

2. I am not an FFL but I want to ship a firearm to a California FFL. Do I have to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number before shipping a firearm to California?

No. The requirement to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number only applies to holders of valid FFLs.

URL: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs#2

drkphibr
02-16-2012, 7:54 AM
Yes but many FFL's have policies against this. Ask the FFL you are looking to have it shipped to.

Excellent point. Many FFLs will only accept deliveries from other FFLs. Call first. I had to point my FFL to the DOJ website and then they called to confirm. In CA, FFLs seem to be on pins and needles not wanting to possibly do anything wrong that would cost them their license. Understandable. So many error on the side of extreme caution.

runway1
02-16-2012, 7:56 AM
Got it. Thanks again everybody!

Sig Marine
02-16-2012, 9:24 AM
I've had good luck with smaller FFls doing this type of transfer. Also, if doing a handgun, it will need to be on the roster. If the gun is being purchased with high capacity magazines, have the seller disassemble the mags and mailed to your residence, do not ship them with the firearm. Also, prices can vary greatly so it's best to check around. My FFL does them for $40 + DROS but I've been quoted as much as $100 to $125 + DROS at other shops.

Semper Fi...Sig Marine (Certified Sig Armorer)

drkphibr
02-26-2012, 6:34 PM
Anyone confirmed this with DOJ?

posted in my original reply...

URL: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs#2

Librarian
02-26-2012, 6:34 PM
Anyone confirmed this with DOJ?

Confirmed what?

There is no law at either state or Federal level that requires a shipment TO an FFL to come FROM an FFL.

There are individual FFL business rules that require that.