PDA

View Full Version : JP Rifles captured silent action spring for AR15

Brassthief
02-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Anyone tried one of these? http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php I'm interested but would hate to spend $125 bucks if they don't work well.

Seesm
02-16-2012, 1:22 AM
HHmmm like to test that,.,,. Interesting.

TKM
02-16-2012, 3:56 AM
$125 is not what I think of as an inexpensive way to stop the boing sound.

joelogic
02-16-2012, 4:58 AM
They are on backorder. Should ship this month.

Army
02-16-2012, 7:17 AM
Really? A little "sproing" bothers people that much?

I use the noise to tell me I'm empty, and the bolt is locked back (no sproing, no shoot).

Embrace the sproing!!

Sniper3142
02-16-2012, 7:31 AM
This looks like a Waste of Money.

The "Sproing" sound is a result of the Correct and Normal operation of an AR15.

Don't like the sound, then shoot something else or waste your money on something like this.

ott1
02-16-2012, 8:26 AM
This looks like a Waste of Money.

Lots of things in this hobby is a waste of money, but we buy it anyways. :D

West9319
02-16-2012, 8:33 AM
So spending $99 on a comp or a ris that you plan on putting rail covers on every side isn't Waisting money??? Wow I had this mall Nina crap figured all wrong then.

There are a lot of ways to waist or wisely spend your money, every one here does it and everyone here will hate ( most will). 125 is not that much compared to what you could blow your money on when dealing with "useless" stuff for rifles. I wouldn't mind trying one out. To some people it's the little things that make the differences. Comps, buffer systems, piston kits, optics, rails, stocks, H&K..... The list can go on and anyone can justify or discredit any and all purchases we make but the bottom line is its what make you as the owner of your rifle happy and makes the time spent using said rifle that much better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...
Shut the heck up and just go shoot:)

PolishMike
02-16-2012, 8:38 AM
lol another fix for a problem that doesn't exist that will just cause more problems. I cant believe people buy into **** like that.

Typical convo:
Customer: Hello my Glock isn't working
Me: What did you change on it?
Customer: Well I put a Stainless guide rod in
Me: Did it work before that?
Customer: Yes
Me: Does it work with the stock one back in?
Customer: Yes
Me: Facepalm

joelogic
02-16-2012, 9:12 AM
Mitigating the sprong noise is a secondary benefit. I am interested in anything to improve my race gun. So being able to tune the buffer spring along with the gas system is a plus. Sure this may not make sense for a battle rifle but as soon as they ship I am sure there will be plenty of reviews.

BigBamBoo
02-16-2012, 9:18 AM
You would be better served by posting this on one of the three gun sites or over on the Hide.
You have to remember that CalGuns is like the welfare forum of the forums.....most post here are about how can I do X for the cheapest way. Just say'in.

I personally am a fan of JP products and plan on ordering one of these as soon as the have them in stock.

SoCalSig1911
02-16-2012, 9:24 AM
I am going to try one out as well.. Doesn't matter what other people think is a waste of money, next they'll say having 3 cars is excessive!! They must not be from Ma-Li-Buu! LOL

motorwerks
02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Does this replace the buffer and spring? I cant really tell, and it doesn't really say. I may give the .308 version a try someday when I have nothing else to throw a hundred bucks at.

SoCalSig1911
02-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Does this replace the buffer and spring? I cant really tell, and it doesn't really say. I may give the .308 version a try someday when I have nothing else to throw a hundred bucks at.

Yeah it replaces both.

joelogic
02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
You would be better served by posting this on one of the three gun sites or over on the Hide.
You have to remember that CalGuns is like the welfare forum of the forums.....most post here are about how can I do X for the cheapest way. Just say'in.

I personally am a fan of JP products and plan on ordering one of these as soon as the have them in stock.

+1.

joelogic
02-22-2012, 9:25 AM
First orders are shipping, plenty of reviews to come.

MUKAK
02-22-2012, 2:54 PM
First orders are shipping, plenty of reviews to come.

reviews? lol
ill give a review lol
waste of 125 hard earned dollars

killshot44
02-22-2012, 5:16 PM
A solution for a non-existent problem? gotta be for an AR......

/should've sold the idea to Magpul - those guys can MARKET.

saki302
02-22-2012, 9:25 PM
It may well add weight in the form of that buffer (*looks* heavier..)- I'd be curoius if it does anything other than reduce the noise. If it adds reliability it might be a nice part to toss in the rifle. That polymer buffer sure looks 'cushier' than the standard unit.

-Dave

Hoop
02-22-2012, 10:21 PM
If it adds reliability

I can't remember the last time any of my AR's jammed up on me. But hey if it adds reliability...to each his own I guess.

125$ for me means more 223 LC brass...

bombadillo
06-18-2012, 10:22 AM
BigBamBoo, did you ever find one of these and try it? I was wondering if anyone got one, tried tuning it with an adjustable gas system or how things worked.

Dhena81
06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
I'd rather spend the money on a Vltor A5 buffer kit. I have never noticed the spring noise maybe because I lightly lube it IDK.

gun toting monkeyboy
06-18-2012, 10:33 AM
I have one, and installed it in my 6.8 pistol build. Unfortunately, I have yet to get to the range with it. I'll post how it works once I do.

-Mb

jsipe007
06-18-2012, 10:39 AM
If you purely want to reduce noise, I just prefer a bit of grease on the buffer spring. Gives it a really nice soft sproing :)

If its from JP, Im sure it works to an extent since they generally make very high quality products. Personally, Id try a spikes heavy buffer before I forked out $125 on a solution such as this.

gun toting monkeyboy
06-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I didn't get it for the noise reduction. I got it because the reports are that it smooths out the felt recoil. And I figured the added weight would also help with the recoil and the balance for the gun.

bombadillo
06-18-2012, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't get it for noise reduction, that would be a bonus. I'd get it to be a more tunable system.

MXRider
06-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I'd rather spend the money on a Vltor A5 buffer kit.

This ^

whiskeyhotel
06-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Really? A little "sproing" bothers people that much?

I use the noise to tell me I'm empty, and the bolt is locked back (no sproing, no shoot).

Embrace the sproing!!

Same here.

BigBamBoo
06-18-2012, 11:44 AM
BigBamBoo, did you ever find one of these and try it? I was wondering if anyone got one, tried tuning it with an adjustable gas system or how things worked.

Yes, I did get one and am running it in my 14 1/2" JP PSC-11 carbine build. It really does "feel" like it is much smother then the standard buffer and spring. I am using the full mass BCG in this rifle.
The noise reduction is minimal to my ears,but i run the JP flat wire springs in my AR's and do not run standard A2 stocks that amplify the spring noise.

But so far I do like the feel of the capture spring and would fecomend them if your running a stanadrd BCG.
I am sticking with the low mass system in my other two JP's as they use full length stocks/buffers.

Take care,Stan

Exile Machine
06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
For those who embrace the sproing, we have got you covered:

TWANG DANG SWEET RECOIL SOUND AMPLIFIER
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/images/catalog/exm1/TWANG_DANG_PROTOTYPE.JPG (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/exile-machine-twang-dang-sweet-recoil-sound-amplifier-638.html)
Click the image to buy!

AR-15 Buffer replacement amplifies the twang for our customers who can't get enough of the sweet sound of the recoil spring Twang.

Just replace your existing buffer with the TWANG DANG, and you will experience an 85dbA increase in twang sound pressure level (SPL).

It uses bluetooth wireless technology to transmit the amplified sound directly to your bluetooth enabled shooting earmuffs.

dfletcher
06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Well it sure is a simple piece of work, that's for sure. I bet in a short time two things will happen. First the price on this product will come down and 2nd, someone will create a cheaper version. A captive spring of smaller than buffer tube diameter isn't exactly high tech. I see $19.95 knock offs in our future.

newglockster
06-18-2012, 12:24 PM
For those who embrace the sproing, we have got you covered:

TWANG DANG SWEET RECOIL SOUND AMPLIFIER
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/images/catalog/exm1/TWANG_DANG_PROTOTYPE.JPG (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/exile-machine-twang-dang-sweet-recoil-sound-amplifier-638.html)
Click the image to buy!

AR-15 Buffer replacement amplifies the twang for our customers who can't get enough of the sweet sound of the recoil spring Twang.

Just replace your existing buffer with the TWANG DANG, and you will experience an 85dbA increase in twang sound pressure level (SPL).

It uses bluetooth wireless technology to transmit the amplified sound directly to your bluetooth enabled shooting earmuffs.

HAHAHA! :D

bombadillo
06-18-2012, 12:28 PM
If it smooths things out, especially when racking a round, it would be nice. How many of you here have actually pulled back the charging handle on a JP upper? They are like pulling the slide of a Wilson supergrade over a Rock Island 1911. Completely different feel! I think it would help with that, keep it quieter, and for me its all about adjustability. I could care less about a lot of things, and remember, people drop money on things like a $400 KAC triple tap, so talk about excessive money spent when something like a battle comp does the same thing at 1/4 the price. Its one of those things that would be more of a nice smooth clean setup rather than a factory gritty one.

edwardjames
06-18-2012, 12:46 PM
it will make a cool conversation piece.

but i am not much of a talker. more so a shooter :iggy:

BigBamBoo
06-18-2012, 1:16 PM
The thing folks need to get past is the capture spring is NOT about noise reduction....that is a positive by-product of it. What the capture spring does is removes the large recipurcating mass (the factory buffer) as well as the extremely large spring. And replaces that with a much more effeciant assembly with lower mass and a much smaller (quieter) spring on a guide rod type setup. This results in a VERY smooth recoil stroke. No binding feel like you get a factory spring/buffer.
When I say "mass" I am referring to physical size.

You will immediately feel the difference when you cycle the bolt. And when shooting with it it just feels like...well....quality.

Does that factory spring/buffer work? Well of coarse....the design has been working for 50 years now. Does that mean there is no room for improvement?
Again....I do not at all regret buying it and do recomend one if your rifle is set up with adjustable gas block and other performance enhancements. For a stock AR I do not see much advantage.

Take care,Stan

MXRider
06-18-2012, 1:32 PM
How about reliability? The Vltor A5 buffer setup was designed with improved reliability and recoil reduction in mind, and they achieved it. Haven't heard much positive on the JP design from the SME's on other sites.

bombadillo
06-18-2012, 2:16 PM
What is it about the A5 that you think is in any way superior other than the length of tube and an H-Buffer?

Yes I'm a JP fanboy but I'll fully admit it. Its just like a really high end 1911 to me in comparison to a basic setup for $600 vs a $3500 pistol.

Arnelcheeze
06-18-2012, 2:20 PM
it is pricey, but JP makes good stuff, I will be putting one of these in my 308. if all you want is to lessen the twang, a thin layer of synthetic grease on your spring usually does the job, along with a spikes ST2 buffer.

BigBamBoo
06-18-2012, 2:21 PM
You should go to Sniper's Hide or Brian Enos's forums. As you can see from the response here, not many CalGunners buy over the bare minimum.

As for reliability....I only have a few hundred rounds through my AR with it. So far zero issues and would not expect any. But being a fairly new product, it is going to take awhile for user feedback to reach the rest of us.

I do know John Paul sends out his products as well as uses them himself, for torture/beta testing long before he releases them to the general public.

MXRider
06-18-2012, 2:28 PM
What is it about the A5 that you think is in any way superior other than the length of tube?

Besides the fact that they have been tested to be more reliable than the A2, M4 and H6 setups? Also their drastic improvement in piston rifles such as the HK 416, not much I guess. :cool:

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.furniture2.html#a5

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56043&highlight=vltor+a5

bombadillo
06-18-2012, 2:33 PM
That wasn't much of an answer. I know the obvious things with bolt bounce, but in reality, what are YOU going to see thats not a full auto setup, in terms of day to day benefits from an A5 setup. I can say with the JP LMOS setup, its MUCH faster lock time, no bolt bounce, smoother than you could imagine system, and adjustability. I'm wondering those specifics rather than links. You bought it, so how do you like it and how has it improved anything in your specific shooting capabilities or functionality? Do you personally notice anything less for bolt bounce or cyclical rate. How about lock time? What specifics does it bring to the table for you other than peace of mind that in a full auto mode, you may be better off?

I'm not asking to be a jerk, but I see all these things on military morons, and M4carbine.net and all it is is speculation. Currently, to my knowledge not a single government agency actually uses the system despite the talking about it. If it were something in use, you'd see all the fanboys all over it and everyone would be buying them to be "mil-spec" monkeys.

MXRider
06-18-2012, 2:51 PM
It hasn't been adopted yet because it's still being tested and evaluated.

Personally I noticed my 16" middy recoils noticeably softer than it did with a carbine tube and H buffer. The way it's currently configured with a Battlecomp 1.0 it is crazy smooth. Haven't shot my 20" rifle with it yet but I can only speculate that it will be a smooth shooter. Don't do any full auto shooting obviously so that is a non issue there.

All I'm getting at is if you shoot 2 identically configured rifles back to back, except for a carbine tube and H buffer vs the Vltor A5 system, you will notice a much softer shooting rifle. Add to that the improvement in reliability in severe conditions and it seems like a no brainer.

bombadillo
06-18-2012, 3:14 PM
True story, just seeing personal experience. I hate going off of hearsay by random guys I don't know on other forums. I'm more familiar with this one and would rather hear it from the horses mouth rather than a guy promoting an item he wants to sell.

MXRider
06-18-2012, 3:33 PM
The JP does seem like a nice product, just maybe something geared more towards competition use. I would like to give one a try sometime, just don't know that I would specifically buy one.

Any 3 gunners want to let me use their rifle? ;)