PDA

View Full Version : Loose firing pin retaining pin in BCG

1Luv4SF
02-15-2012, 9:36 PM
When I turn the 308 carrier sideways it slides out. It doesn't fall out but it almost comes out. I've tried to use a punch to get it in the carrier further but it always slides out. Here is a pic of the pin. It's the one on the right. The left is for 5.56. http://img.tapatalk.com/a6cd8b29-a3d7-c7b9.jpg

joelogic
02-15-2012, 9:39 PM
Once in the carrier there is no where for it to go. Sorry, was there a question?

mod1217
02-15-2012, 9:41 PM
The Retaining pin is always inside the upper receiver anyway when you fire the weapon so I dont see any reason why you should be worried that it would slip out when firing the weapon

1Luv4SF
02-15-2012, 9:51 PM
Okay. That's fine then. That was my only concern. All the pins on my other BCGs stuck tight but this one is different so I was concerned. Thanks

Army
02-16-2012, 7:05 AM
Lightly....LIGHLTY...tap a screwdriver or chisel into the slot to barely...BARELY... open it a tiny bit. This will provide a wedge that can still be pushed through the carrier body, but won't fall out on it's own.

Being hardened, the two tines are easily broken if bent too far. it won't take much, so go easy on it.

1Luv4SF
02-16-2012, 2:52 PM
I tried exactly that last night but it only made a tiny difference but not enough to prevent the pin from sliding out. I'm going to contact the manufacturer and have them send me another pin.

CHS
02-16-2012, 3:02 PM
Once in the carrier there is no where for it to go. Sorry, was there a question?

It can cause unwanted gouging in the inside wall of the upper receiver, and could even stop the action if it dug itself in deep enough during firing. This would actually damage the upper receiver.

Nothing should be rattling around loose up in there, even the retaining pin.

1Luv4SF
02-29-2012, 6:16 PM
So I'm still having the issue and it's worse now. The retaining pin just falls out when I tip the carrier sideways. It leads me to believe that it might come out when shooting. Any help? Does other peoples 308 retaining pins look the same?

AR87
02-29-2012, 9:40 PM
So I'm still having the issue and it's worse now. The retaining pin just falls out when I tip the carrier sideways. It leads me to believe that it might come out when shooting. Any help? Does other peoples 308 retaining pins look the same?

Do you suppose it is possible that the hole drilled in the BCG to hold the firing pin retainer pin was drilled too big somehow? Mine is very tight in the BCG. I have to take a small screwdriver or the tip of a pen to push it out far enough to grasp it with pliers. It should not move at all. Not sure about the AR-15 style pins, but I've never had an AR-10 pin that was even the slightest bit loose; they always fit flush, to the point that I can feel it rubbing against the BCG the entire time I am pushing it in place. I would send the entire BCG back to the seller and request a new one. If you already fired it, then send it back to the manufacturer and ask them to check it and make sure the pin hole is of proper size. Just sounds like it's not something you can deal with if enlarging the tip of the firing pin retainer pin didn't work. Good luck with it.

RRichie09
02-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Buy a replacement pin. :shrug:

Army
03-01-2012, 6:50 AM
It won't fall out during shooting. The wall of the upper will keep it in place. I doubt it can come out far enough to gouge deep enough to cause a jam.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember it does fall out when you clean it, so be sure to have a towel ready for it to drop onto.

FeuerFrei
03-01-2012, 9:35 AM
I ran into the same problem with my LR308 carrier and just ordered some Armalite pins to replace them. AR10's use the cotter pin type like we are used to on AR15 clones etc..
I suggest NOT bending the DPMS pin end to snug it up. Too brittle.
This problem didn't show up until 300+ rds through it.

CHS
03-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I ran into the same problem with my LR308 carrier and just ordered some Armalite pins to replace them. AR10's use the cotter pin type like we are used to on AR15 clones etc..

This.

If Armalite uses the standard cotter-type pins line in the 5.56 platform, I would buy a few of those. They have natural spring tension keeping the legs open a little bit which will hold the pin itself in place.

1Luv4SF
03-01-2012, 4:03 PM
That's a good idea. I ordered a replacement pin today from the manufacturer so if this one is too small to then I guess it's the carrier that's out of spec and the Armalite would be the best bet.