PDA

View Full Version : Optics recommendations for M4forgery

gesundheit
02-15-2012, 8:52 PM
With the plethora of options for optics from Trijicon, EOTech, Aimpoint, US optics and others making it hard to decide on what would be the recommend optic that can withstand rough handling and be accurate to 200 yards?

As I understand EOTech & Aimpoint are parallax free sighst while Trijicon/US optics are more of pure optics.

dieselpower
02-15-2012, 9:05 PM
200 yards is nothing for any of those. check out each one, that will be better than what others guys want you to have.... if you still want a recommendation, I'd go with a Trijicon Accupoint TR24

Droppin Deuces
02-15-2012, 9:12 PM
What's "accurate?" One can hit a 12" plate at 200 pretty easily with irons and a human size silhouette without fail.

Press Check
02-15-2012, 9:12 PM
ACOG 4x32!

gesundheit
02-15-2012, 9:19 PM
Sorry for not being clear on the accuracy part. Accurate would be consistently hitting center-mass from 200 yards out.

RuggedJay
02-15-2012, 9:23 PM
iron sights would do what your asking for and cheaply too. if you wanna look more."tactical" get an aimpoint T1. any of those can get you 200. an ACOG could get you out further like 500

mlevans66
02-15-2012, 9:45 PM
iron sights would do what your asking for and cheaply too. if you wanna look more."tactical" get an aimpoint T1. any of those can get you 200. an ACOG could get you out further like 500

^^^This!
With the ACOG you could step up you distance game and still hit steady on the 200 AND not have a lot of weight or batteries to worry bout.

nitroxdiver
02-15-2012, 10:38 PM
The Aimpoint m4/m4s (military m68 CCO), the acog TA01NSN and acog TA31RCOM4 would all be appropriate for an m4 "clone". By clone i mean close to a military issue rifle. All would get you you center mass hits at 200 if you are capable with your rifle. Irons are pretty easy to do that with at that range if you practice.

The acogs obviously give you 4 power magnification, but have fairly short eye relief. The glass is beautiful though, and they have a history of being really tough.

The m68 CCO can be used with fixed iron sights either absolute or lower third cowitness, and has unlimited eye relief. Either are great just depends on what you want. Like most, you'll probably end up with both, then build another AR for your extra optics hahaha. Take care good luck. Oh, if you have upwards of 2k to shell out, the Elcan spectre DR 1x/4x is an incredible military grade optic as well.

fmunk
02-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Primary Arms 3x compact scope. Affordable and effective.

Or, Leatherwood CMR 1-4x. I have one for sale, PM if interested.

unusedusername
02-16-2012, 1:55 AM
What's "accurate?" One can hit a 12" plate at 200 pretty easily with irons and a human size silhouette without fail.

QFT

Any good "m4gery" will do fine aginst man-sized targets with irons at that distance.

Any good red dot optic will do. A magnifier makes it trivial ... and significantly slows you down. A 1-4 variable scope is nice also, but slower then a red dot as you have to put your eye in the pocket before you can see through it. An ACOG is really nice at the range but is much slower if you ever plan to use your rifle for HD as you need to use the eye trick to make it work at less then 50ish yards.

As for a good optic, that depends on you.

I started with a NCstar, it was a "good optic". Then it broke. I got a couple of Bushnells, they have a better reputation for being "good optics" then NCstar. One broke and I sold the other before it had a chance to break. Now I have an EOtech, it is considered by many to be a "good optic". It has not broken yet.

I would have saved money if I had just gotten the EOtech in the first place.

I have a magnifier for my EOtech but most of the time I don't put it on the rifle. It makes a really nice (and overpriced!) range monocular.

dieselpower
02-16-2012, 6:04 AM
QFT

Any good "m4gery" will do fine aginst man-sized targets with irons at that distance.

Any good red dot optic will do. A magnifier makes it trivial ... and significantly slows you down. A 1-4 variable scope is nice also, but slower then a red dot as you have to put your eye in the pocket before you can see through it. An ACOG is really nice at the range but is much slower if you ever plan to use your rifle for HD as you need to use the eye trick to make it work at less then 50ish yards.

Go try a Trijicon TR24... that "pocket" is quite large and I found it to be just as fast as lining up Iron Sights. As an Iron Sight / C-More shooter, the Accupoint is the only other optic I would choose.

docsmileyface
02-16-2012, 7:49 AM
TA01NSN - easy reticule to read, can be found for little more than an EOTech or an Aimpoint these days on various for sale boards including the one on this site.

FeuerFrei
02-16-2012, 8:09 AM
All the other optics mentioned are good options.
Another option would be a Burris AR-332. x3 power and is not battery dependant although it has red/green reticle w/adjustable brightness when batts are present.
ACOG scopes are my go to optic. I run the TA11 and TA33's, eye relief is generous on these models.

Army
02-16-2012, 8:21 AM
If you can't get headshots at 200m with iron sights, all the fancy expensive bolt-ons won't help.

Use that money for practice ammo instead.

docsmileyface
02-16-2012, 8:50 AM
When I was at SDM school the shooter next to me was like blind as a bat and couldn't hit anything past 100m with his iron sights. Once they slapped on his ACOG he was getting MOA groups at 600m and sub MOA 300 to 100. Unfortunately they kicked him out because they thought he smuggled extra rounds because the idiot next to him shot as his target, admitted to doing it, then denied it when the cadre said he'd have to shoot again if he did and he was tired and wanted to go back to the barracks.

cwin
02-16-2012, 9:04 AM
I own both Aimpoint and Eotech. They are top notch and capable of getting you on target beyond 200 yds.

milotrain
02-16-2012, 9:14 AM
irons are more accurate than a red dot past 100 yards.