PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cleaning rod stuck in barrel

1Luv4SF
02-15-2012, 8:40 PM
I was trying to put a patch of lube through a new upper and I guess I tied the patch too large. It's so effin stuck. My dad and I pulled on opposite ends and still was stuck. I saturated the barrel with oil. I poured break free lube into the muzzle end and the breach end. But still nothing. Any advice?

Targets From Us
02-15-2012, 8:40 PM
got compressed air?

FatalKitty
02-15-2012, 8:44 PM
how the heck do you people get your cleaning rods stuck?

oil? that was a good idea, the patch soaked it up and is now twice the size it was.

G-Man WC
02-15-2012, 8:45 PM
How about a wooden dowel and a hammer? -g

ebencikiv
02-15-2012, 9:01 PM
Just don't use the picks http://img.tapatalk.com/43b46bc2-8d97-c6d3.jpg lol

Merc1138
02-15-2012, 9:11 PM
Pour 1 tablespoon of gasoline into chamber, ignite outdoors in safe area. If you have not lit yourself on fire yet, remove cleaning rod and douse fire. Clean barrel again.

killshot44
02-15-2012, 9:20 PM
I was trying to put a patch of lube through a new upper and I guess I tied the patch too large.

What does this mean?

Are you using a cleaning ROD or a snake?

peter95
02-15-2012, 9:26 PM
why cant you put something thin and long like a wooden stick, hammer it and bam, problem solved.....

I dont see how it could be that hard....

sephy
02-15-2012, 9:37 PM
Put cleaning rod through the other end without anything on it and tap it lightly with a hammer/mallet. You'll get it out.

pyromensch
02-15-2012, 9:41 PM
Pour 1 tablespoon of gasoline into chamber, ignite outdoors in safe area. If you have not lit yourself on fire yet, remove cleaning rod and douse fire. Clean barrel again.

i am surprised you didn't say reassemble the gun, put a round in the chamber, and shoot it out, (this is assuming that he was punching his bore from the muzzle).

had a similar incident. if it was from the breach, i would put the cleaning rod, end, on the ground, and exert weight, (don't sit on it), on the upper. slow and steady. same for the muzzle end.

1Luv4SF
02-15-2012, 9:53 PM
Okay I'll try the hammer and punch method. I just have to find a stick long enough now. I can't use my other cleaning rod because it's a flimsy piece of plastic.

ocabj
02-15-2012, 9:56 PM
Go to a home improvement store. Get a dowel rod less than .22cal in diameter.

TurboS600
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I was trying to put a patch of lube through a new upper and I guess I tied the patch too large. It's so effin stuck. My dad and I pulled on opposite ends and still was stuck. I saturated the barrel with oil. I poured break free lube into the muzzle end and the breach end. But still nothing. Any advice?

Seriously???

I think I would have brought my weapon to a PD gun turn-in amnesty program and picked up a $50 Stater Bros food coupon before I would post on Calguns that I did something so sophmoric as getting a patch stuck in the bore...

I mean, really???

ETA: Just noted the OPs screen name and the whole thing became much, much clearer to me.

Mstnpete
02-15-2012, 10:09 PM
When in doubt tap it out !

Dark Mod
02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Pics? Not because i think it would help, because it would amuse me

Merc1138
02-15-2012, 10:29 PM
i am surprised you didn't say reassemble the gun, put a round in the chamber, and shoot it out, (this is assuming that he was punching his bore from the muzzle).

had a similar incident. if it was from the breach, i would put the cleaning rod, end, on the ground, and exert weight, (don't sit on it), on the upper. slow and steady. same for the muzzle end.

Why would you be surprised that I didn't tell him to shoot it out?

Or do you think a small piece of fabric on fire inside of the barrel for all of 30 seconds is actually going to hurt it?

Tiberius
02-15-2012, 10:30 PM
In a related story, I got a condom stuck in a . . . nevermind! None of you will be any help! And don't tell me to shoot it out!

1Luv4SF
02-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Wow turbo600 that was a total dick thing to say. It's not like I was screwing around and doing dumb **** with the rifle. I was trying to get it ready for the range and a patch got stuck and I asked for advice here. Why does that piss you off so much? Get off your damn high horse.

JNunez23
02-15-2012, 10:49 PM
LOL Welcome to Calguns ;)

Sleighter
02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
I second the gasoline idea, it was the first thing to come to mind. Then again, the dowel idea seems like it has merits also. :rolleyes:

mod1217
02-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Here is a neat trick I learned from my grandfather, he told me this while he was cleaning his M1, I haven't tried it never had that kind of problem yet so I leave it up to you to decide for yourself.

First get 2 boxes of matches then remove the match head on all it's matchstick and separate them in 2 equal halves, the first one you put down the barrel of your rifle right on top of the patch and the cleaning rod the second you wrapped it with toilet paper pack small enough to easily drop into the barrel.

Now light the one wrapped in toilet paper and as soon as the powder start to burn drop it inside the barrel, hopefully this would ignite the matchead inside the barrel already to burn away the patch enough to loosen it.

Pouring gasoline or alcohol or any flammable liquid inside the barrel wouldn't ignite the patch since it would be starve of oxygen hence the use of matchstick

b.faust
02-15-2012, 11:44 PM
After you get it out, switch to a dewey cleaning jag.

Mail Clerk
02-16-2012, 6:39 AM

1Luv4SF,

Don't pour anymore oil into the barrel as the oil will make the patch swell and make thing worse for you. If you can pull at least the rod out by unscrewing it from the barrel you can then treat the situation like any squib load. Use a wooden dowel and a hammer. That's my best bet.

Mail Clerk

6mmintl
02-16-2012, 6:46 AM
Dont use a wooden dowel rod and dont listen to anyone who recomends one.

Wood dowels split and wedge inside barrel, swell with oil/lube/solvent and are a pain to remove.

Im in redwood city, if you come over we can try pushing a brass/bronze rod or coated cleaning rod to push out patch/rod/tip..

ocabj
02-16-2012, 6:57 AM
Dont use a wooden dowel rod and dont listen to anyone who recomends one.

Yeah, don't listen to me. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

sonnyt650
02-16-2012, 7:57 AM
Sacrifice the cleaning rod for the barrel: using a pair of vise grips and a block of wood, leverage that thing out of there.

Elwood_Blues
02-16-2012, 8:01 AM
got compressed air?

I'm with him on that. Take the upper off, go to your local auto repair shop and ask them to blast some compressed air through it.

kendog4570
02-16-2012, 8:21 AM
Yeah, don't listen to me. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

You may be a hell of a trigger-puller, but in this case, you really don't. But dont feel bad, 6mmintl is all wet too;)! You may get lucky and wood will get it out, but usually wood grabs anything it rubs against and now you have two things stuck in there. It is standard practice to use wood shims, blocking, and dunnage when jacking and rolling big things (140 ton transformers for example) because wood wont slip. Same thing happens in your nice bore.
In fact, all of the advice given here will either be ineffectual, or it will compound the problem.

skkeeter
02-16-2012, 8:40 AM
You may be a hell of a trigger-puller, but in this case, you really don't. But dont feel bad, 6mmintl is all wet too;)! You may get lucky and wood will get it out, but usually wood grabs anything it rubs against and now you have two things stuck in there. It is standard practice to use wood shims, blocking, and dunnage when jacking and rolling big things (140 ton transformers for example) because wood wont slip. Same thing happens in your nice bore.
In fact, all of the advice given here will either be ineffectual, or it will compound the problem.

Lol when he uses a wooden dowel and it pops right out:)

jbush
02-16-2012, 8:52 AM
Compressed air is only going to be about 120 psi maybe 150 from standard compressor. I doubt thats going to do it. I can shoot a condom off if it's stuck, but not a patch on a barrel. And I would take the rifle to a gunsmith or someone with enough experience not to damage the bore. All these ideas might work or might damage the barrel.

TNP'R
02-16-2012, 9:03 AM
Lol these threads come up every now and then. I got mine stuck in one of my mosins once. I just used my manly muscles to get it out though.

mythfit
02-16-2012, 9:29 AM
So I take it you rich, high dollar gun owners, only buy those pre-made, pre-sized patches that are specifically made for the exact bore size of your rifles. Take a walk on the wild side sometime and rip up an old t-shirt and see if your patches are all the perfect size.

OP, if you have enough rod sticking out, see if you tap the rest through to the other end of the barrel. Most of my cleaning rods are the type that screw together. If you have one of those junk plastic T-handle type rods remove unscrew the last segment with the T-handle and see if you can add another straight rod instead. If that doesn't work the "wooden" dowel is your only option.

Having many guns over many years I have done this a few times myself. You are not alone and don't let some of these folks get to you. In fact, it probably tells just how much gun experience they really have. Hate to see what happens to them when just the primer goes off in a round that doesn't ignite the powder getting the bullet stuck halfway down the barrel. Oh yeah, thats right, they go running to the gunsmith.

cannon
02-16-2012, 9:33 AM
Well these things happen. ;)

I'd push it on through in the direction it was going when it got stuck unless it was close to one end or the other.

Grab a mallet and brass rod if need and tappa tappa it on out. He Man power swings would probably not go well.

If I had to pull it out I'd lay some wood across the muzzle and sacrificing the cleaning rod. Clamp a Vice Grip on it and lever it out.

Have a much fun as you can and be patient.

kendog4570
02-16-2012, 9:39 AM
Lol when he uses a wooden dowel and it pops right out:)

Thats the lucky part. Usually it just gets worse. If a dowel pops it out then it wasn't really stuck.

Elwood_Blues
02-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Compressed air is only going to be about 120 psi maybe 150 from standard compressor.

What about firing a blank round out of it? That ought to generate enough pressure to extract it.

IntoForever
02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
So much anger today... wondering if the Starbucks buzz is wearing off. OP, how far down the barrel is the patch? Try a hardwood dowel and lightly tap it out with a hammer. If it doesn't move, take it to a gunsmith. Fire with a plastic cleaning rod may load up the barrel with burnt glob that will be a bigger headache to get out. Good luck and please post what worked and failed.

In a related story, I got a condom stuck in a . . . nevermind! None of you will be any help! And don't tell me to shoot it out!
Isn't that how it got stuck in the first place?

Shellshocker66
02-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I've made the same mistake so don't feel bad. I grabbed the large patches out of my gun cleaning kit and didn't even think about it when i started trying to shove it in my 5.56 upper.

Thankfully I didn't get it shoved in there really hard (or far), and was able to pull it out with my brute female muscles (not)!

I now make sure I'm grabbing the right patch before I shove it in a smaller diameter gun. Once you do it you sure know not to do it again!

Your not the first and you won't be the last that does the same thing. I would go over to 6mmintl and try to push it out with the rods.

tanakasan
02-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Don't use a wooden dowel!

It will shatter, splinter and cause you a second obstruction to deal with. Too small, not enough strength at that diameter. Over at the RFC 22LR forums, hobby brass rod as mentioned above is the key. More strength, will not harm steel.

Are precut patches *that* expensive? And plastic cleaning rods? Or did the OP mean plastic handled cleaning rods?

Robert

mod1217
02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
What about firing a blank round out of it? That ought to generate enough pressure to extract it.

Hey, I saw somebody actually did this while shooting in burro, he took a cartridge remove the bullet and powder inside and just leave the primer load it into his mossin and fired shoot the patch + jag a good 5 yards off

wildwilly
02-16-2012, 12:15 PM
This is a bit drastic, but if the rod can be unscrewed from the jag, then you might make up a blank cartridge using 2.5 gr Bullseye, or Unique, sealing the case with a paper wad. Point the weapon skyward and....

killshot44
02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
usually wood grabs anything it rubs against and now you have two things stuck in there.
In case some don't know, Ken IS a gunsmith. He's seen this more than a few times.

Compressed air is only going to be about 120 psi maybe 150 from standard compressor. I doubt thats going to do it.
I can't believe people even suggested this, it's simple physics that it won't work.

So I take it you rich, high dollar gun owners, only buy those pre-made, pre-sized patches that are specifically made for the exact bore size of your rifles. Take a walk on the wild side sometime and rip up an old t-shirt and see if your patches are all the perfect size.
Yeah, it's SO smart to spend $$$ on a rifle and then not spend $5 for patches that fit....:facepalm:

I would go over to 6mmintl and try to push it out with the rods.If he's smart that's what he'll do. Wood dowels might work for a squib round, but not for a stuck patch.

It cracks me up that guys will spend whatever money on their guns and won't spend $100 for proper cleaning equipment.
(one-piece rods, boreguides, brass jags, correct-size patches)

send it_hit
02-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Just don't use the picks http://img.tapatalk.com/43b46bc2-8d97-c6d3.jpg lol

surprised anyone remembered this :)

owenriquez
02-16-2012, 12:37 PM
if you still have enough cleaning rod to hold on to, (grip lock) by a vise grip and hit the vise grip with a hammer.

Rock6.3
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM

I'm not sure I understand your situation.

Is this a cleaning Rod, or a pull thru string system like a boresnake?

Rod: Unscrew the rod from the patch attachment. Use a brass rod and hammer to punch it out the way it went in (do not drive it further into the bore).

freonr22
02-16-2012, 1:22 PM
Kill it with fire. I agree. Burn it out. It is not going to hurt the barrel

1Luv4SF
02-16-2012, 1:31 PM
Okay the specifics are that it is a rod and patch stuck. It's a 1 piece heavy rod that's over 30" long with a brass jag. It got stuck about 1" past the feedramps. I'll try to take it to a smith today.

Targets From Us
02-16-2012, 1:37 PM
why not use compressed air to blow it out?

sephy
02-16-2012, 3:19 PM
Okay the specifics are that it is a rod and patch stuck. It's a 1 piece heavy rod that's over 30" long with a brass jag. It got stuck about 1" past the feedramps. I'll try to take it to a smith today.

I don't think you need a smith. If you got it in then you can get it out. Sounds like there's plenty to grab onto... Vise grips would be a good bet. I got a rod stuck like this in my mosin once. It took some muscle but I got it out. Keep us updated.

duc748bip
02-16-2012, 3:43 PM
i think you can put he rod in a vise and pull the gun out if you put your weight on it. its only stuck an inch past the feed ramp. Patch fabric bunch up and get stuck if you reverse direction in the barrel. As long as there is no metal and metal contact i think its ok to pull it out..

Gasoline is pretty interesting solution too. but i wouldn't try it if it your first gun.

1Luv4SF
02-16-2012, 3:50 PM
It's my 4th gun lol.

iron_pounder
02-16-2012, 3:52 PM
The posts I'm seeing won't help ya. Call around to a welding supply place and purchase 2 3/16 pieces of bronze brazing rod. Cut one piece so a couple of inches is sticking out of whichever end your rod isn't blocking and hit it with a fairly heavy hammer to start the cleaning rod moving. Protect your gun from the hammer with a block of some sort. When you have started the cleaning rod moving cut a longer piece and move it the rest of the way out. The brazing rod is a damage free way to clear a barrel.

Wodsworthy
02-16-2012, 4:20 PM
I was trying to put a patch of lube through a new upper and I guess I tied the patch too large.

What does this mean?

Are you using a cleaning ROD or a snake?

You know last time I tried the patch too large bad things happened too :P... all joking aside...

I wonder how people get the patches stuck. First time I ran a patch through a barrel and I noticed it was too big, I tried a smaller patch =[

cannon
02-16-2012, 4:24 PM

If you inserted the rod from the breech just get another rod and tap it out.

Don't let some of the comments get to you. Some folks just have to criticize instead of help.

dfletcher
02-16-2012, 4:32 PM
For entertainment purposes only .......

Years ago I got a bullet stuck in the barrel of an old Carcano. Then the cleaning rod got stuck trying to pound it out. Being young & dumb I pulled a bullet from a live round, dumped the smokeless & loaded the case with blackpowder AND filled the bore behind the bullet with blackpowder. Loaded her up, closed the bolt and with a very long string (I evidently did have survival instincts) pulled the trigger. A loud bang, huge cloud of white smoke out of which appeared the cleaning rod as in pin wheeled about 100 yards down range, slightly skewered the rump of one of my uncle's "beefallo" cows.

1Luv4SF
02-16-2012, 4:57 PM
That's pretty funny lol

kendog4570
02-16-2012, 5:31 PM
You aren't overpaying the gunsmith for the relatively inexpesive tools to get it out with, you are paying him for what is between the ears, and to NOT f*ck up your barrel (any more than you already did) in the process, or jamb more stuff in there.

NO WOOD!
NO BRASS!
NO CLEANING RODS!
NO CHOPSTICKS!
NO NUTPICKS!

Get some DRILL ROD that FITS the bore and square the ends with a slight chamfer. No more that 4 or 5 inches sticking out the other end. Get some light oil on the obstruction, both sides if you can. Grab the barrel in a big padded vise and drive the oiled rod and obstruction out the way it went in. Smaller calibers (like yours) maybe less stickout. If obstruction is farther in than the stickout of the rod, drive it a little and pull it out and insert a 3" section of DRILL ROD that is squared and chamfered both ends and drive some more. The key is a good bore-riding fit. Brass, wood, anything that is not HARDER than the obstruction, can/will catch on it, upset and cause more obstruction. IF YOU DONT HAVE THIS STUFF,TAKE IT TO SOMEONE THAT DOES AND PAY THEM.

You are lucky you have a jag in there to drive against, if it were only a patch, often they need to be cut out with a fabricated cutter.

Or you could shoot it out and risk the neighbors cow, in which case I want to be there to watch!

Now proceed...
:popcorn:

1Luv4SF
02-16-2012, 8:11 PM
Got it out. It was pretty un-climactic in a sense that it was alot simpler then people thought. My gunsmith just put it in a vice and pulled hard as he could and on the 3rd try it popped out. He didn't charge me anything as he usually does the small stuff for free while I watch. Thankyou everyone for the help. I definitely appreciate it!

kendog4570
02-16-2012, 8:15 PM
.... My gunsmith just put it in a vice and pulled hard as he could and on the 3rd try it popped out.

You better hit the gym...!;)

Glad it came out.

ahren111
02-16-2012, 9:02 PM
You better hit the gym...!;)

maybe this was his gunsmith :D

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx240/UberL33tPwner69/bodybuilder.jpg

LoadedM333
02-16-2012, 9:18 PM
maybe this was his gunsmith :D

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx240/UberL33tPwner69/bodybuilder.jpg

LOL....

1Luv4SF
02-16-2012, 9:20 PM
Gross is that a real person? Lol but nah the problem was that I had no vice. I'm pretty strong and I had my mom holding one end while I was pulling the other but everytime I pulled she would almost fall over =/ I seriously need a vice. Btw, how can I make sure this never happens again? I used the correct size patch. It's hard to always make that fold the same size. I use the patches that loop through the jag. On an unrelated note, check out my new workbench. It's friggen sweet. Way better then trying to gunsmith on my bed and losing a bunch of pins and springs.

1Luv4SF
02-16-2012, 9:22 PM
Forgot to add the pic lol. Btw I'll be at the Los Altos range tomorrow breaking in the new guns. If your there come say hi. I'll have an AR15 and a 10.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6cd89ed-e3bf-ea61.jpg

ucsdryder
02-16-2012, 9:27 PM
Forgot to add the pic lol. Btw I'll be at the Los Altos range tomorrow breaking in the new guns. If your there come say hi. I'll have an AR15 and a 10.

Look for the guy with the spaghetti arms!!!!!

ebencikiv
02-16-2012, 9:54 PM
^lol...Glad it all worked out!

Elwood_Blues
02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty strong and I had my mom holding one end while I was pulling the other

That just made me lol

Nice bench, it's missing the vice though :D

killshot44
02-16-2012, 10:43 PM
how can I make sure this never happens again? I used the correct size patch. It's hard to always make that fold the same size. I use the patches that loop through the jag.

Do not use what you've been using, they are terrible.

I'll assume you have a good rod that turns freely on bearings in the handle, if not, buy one. Always use a bore guide that fits the chamber.

Then get one of each of the patch jags, there are 2 kinds and they are caliber-specific.

First is the Dewey type that has a piercing point, you center the patch on it.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM-eOfKnIsOqU7hXfqgCgtcR925ommpnI7LxmDaushAFG9wS4-tg
Second is the Parker-Hale type, with this jag you wrap the patch around it like a rolling paper.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPVGlh4BegoIHri0CSUsO-2fEStYx7yfBN7moBDSjSH5VGHhH6
The second type is good to use the patch to scrub back and forth, the first type is better pushed straight through the barrel.

IMO square patches work better than round. The ones from "Pro-Shot" are good, made of cotton flannel. Again, use the ones cut to fit the caliber you're cleaning.

If your barrel copper fouls a lot, you can get a Dewey jag made of aluminum which doesn't show a blue color on the patch from the ammonia (or whatever copper remover you use) and give you a "false positive" on the patch.

Glad you got the rod out.

17+1
02-17-2012, 6:31 AM
You aren't overpaying the gunsmith for the relatively inexpesive tools to get it out with, you are paying him for what is between the ears, and to NOT f*ck up your barrel (any more than you already did) in the process, or jamb more stuff in there.

NO WOOD!
NO BRASS!
NO CLEANING RODS!
NO CHOPSTICKS!
NO NUTPICKS!

Get some DRILL ROD that FITS the bore and square the ends with a slight chamfer. No more that 4 or 5 inches sticking out the other end. Get some light oil on the obstruction, both sides if you can. Grab the barrel in a big padded vise and drive the oiled rod and obstruction out the way it went in. Smaller calibers (like yours) maybe less stickout. If obstruction is farther in than the stickout of the rod, drive it a little and pull it out and insert a 3" section of DRILL ROD that is squared and chamfered both ends and drive some more. The key is a good bore-riding fit. Brass, wood, anything that is not HARDER than the obstruction, can/will catch on it, upset and cause more obstruction. IF YOU DONT HAVE THIS STUFF,TAKE IT TO SOMEONE THAT DOES AND PAY THEM.

You are lucky you have a jag in there to drive against, if it were only a patch, often they need to be cut out with a fabricated cutter.

Or you could shoot it out and risk the neighbors cow, in which case I want to be there to watch!

Now proceed...
:popcorn:

Man, who pissed in your Cheerios...? :oji:;)

17+1
02-17-2012, 6:35 AM
Second is the Parker-Hale type, with this jag you wrap the patch around it like a rolling paper.

:rofl:

kendog4570
02-17-2012, 8:10 AM
Man, who pissed in your Cheerios...? :oji:;)

I know.
I got all worked up for nothin'! Turns out the combo Popeye/Kung-Fu grip saved the day. At least he didn't hammer a half cord of wood down there and really foul it up.
Now we can all be friends again....

Rock6.3
02-17-2012, 8:37 AM
Do not use what you've been using, they are terrible.

I'll assume you have a good rod that turns freely on bearings in the handle, if not, buy one. Always use a bore guide that fits the chamber.

Then get one of each of the patch jags, there are 2 kinds and they are caliber-specific.

First is the Dewey type that has a piercing point, you center the patch on it.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM-eOfKnIsOqU7hXfqgCgtcR925ommpnI7LxmDaushAFG9wS4-tg

Excellent post, great photos and links.

I only use the Dewey type jags and they are my recommendation. Note: These are caliber specific so don't get 'em mixed up!

cwin
02-17-2012, 8:54 AM
Glad you got it out. Now go out and shoot that thing ;)

problemchild
02-17-2012, 9:07 AM
Excellent post, great photos and links.

I only use the Dewey type jags and they are my recommendation. Note: These are caliber specific so don't get 'em mixed up!

Yep and use the caliber below your caliber.

Example:

for 308 use a 270 jag and a 270 patch

1Luv4SF
02-17-2012, 9:17 AM
So here's a new question. I'm feeling lazy today. If I don't break in the 308 how much accuracy can I expect to lose? It has a SS barrel. What if I just run a patch though every 5-10 rounds or so? I'm not worried about the AR15. It has a chrome lined barrel chambered in 5.45x39 so I'm not expecting much accuracy from that anyways =]

killshot44
02-17-2012, 1:02 PM
You answered your own question. Go shoot it.

Rock6.3
02-17-2012, 1:24 PM
So here's a new question. I'm feeling lazy today. If I don't break in the 308 how much accuracy can I expect to lose? It has a SS barrel. What if I just run a patch though every 5-10 rounds or so? I'm not worried about the AR15. It has a chrome lined barrel chambered in 5.45x39 so I'm not expecting much accuracy from that anyways =]

Get away from the keyboard and go shoot the darned thing!

Barrel breakin is (arguably) important for benchrest accuracy rifles. But you built a hammer. Go hammer with it!

JAGACIDA
02-17-2012, 1:37 PM
Seriously???

I think I would have brought my weapon to a PD gun turn-in amnesty program and picked up a $50 Stater Bros food coupon before I would post on Calguns that I did something so sophmoric as getting a patch stuck in the bore...

I mean, really???

ETA: Just noted the OPs screen name and the whole thing became much, much clearer to me.

OK, that's my laugh for the day.

1Luv4SF
02-17-2012, 9:06 PM
Both guns shot perfect today at the range. Couldn't be happier with their performance. Not one single misfire or FTF.

battleship
02-17-2012, 9:57 PM
This ever happens again, don't bother with tugging on it holding the upper and pulling, just lay it on some thick carpet then kneel on the upper while you or your father pulls on the rod or you could just pull on it yourself while knealing on it, its happened to me before and this is the best way i have found to get it out. also use a smaller patch or half of the other size next time.
Nothing to freak out other.