PDA

View Full Version : Best First AR Value

luckylogger6
02-15-2012, 8:13 PM
Im about to buy an MP 15 sport but have been thinking maybe I can get a better rifle for about the same about of money if I build one rather than buy a complete gun. Im not looking for anything fancy but a reliable first AR. Can you guys help me out with a budget build ($700) that would give me more bang for my buck. Im not hung up on mil spec or anything like that. Thanks everyone.

gesundheit
02-15-2012, 8:24 PM
Stay with M&P15 sport. It has everything that is needed in a first AR.

zedaristo
02-15-2012, 8:37 PM
I was in the same position, was going to get an MP15 Sport, decided to build my own ar instead. im around $1200 mark and still climbing. if you want to limit yourself, just get the sport.

Drivedabizness
02-15-2012, 9:52 PM
Not that these guys are wrong...just anther option.

You can get a New Frontier Armory LW15 complete lower for $99 (+ bullet button, tax & DROS) for under $175.

That leaves you $525 for a complete upper (there are a number of options at Palmetto state Armory, DelTon, DPMS for $400 - $475) maybe even leaving you more than enough $$$ for a rear sight and a mag.

All for $700-ish.

I have the M&P 15T. It'd be hard to build a better gun for the $$$ than the M&P Sport.

icenix
02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Right now on the Outdoor channel (HD) the show American Rifleman is doing a thing about the S&W M&P. If you are thinking about one but you are not sure, you might want to check it out.

icenix
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I was in the same position, was going to get an MP15 Sport, decided to build my own ar instead. im around $1200 mark and still climbing. if you want to limit yourself, just get the sport.

haha, same thing that happened to me back in December. Over $1200 and climbing.

Capybara
02-15-2012, 10:39 PM
I was in your same position a few weeks ago. I think the S&W MP15 Sport is a solid, quality rifle for the money. Some will tell you that it has no forward assist, while others will tell you that you don't need a forward assist outside of battlefield conditions. Same with the missing dust cover, do you really need that? Are you going to be shooting in sandstorms or crawling through mud or debris with the rifle?

A lot of guys are going to say build your own. You can buy stripped lowers really cheap and PSA and a few others sell rifle kits. If you have some mechanical aptitude, they don't look that hard to assemble. What put me off of building my own, for my first AR, was that I didn't want to try to learn how to assemble a trigger mechanism or make sure that the upper fit the lower without too large of a gap, I just wanted to buy an AR, put scope on it and go shooting. What about warranty issues? Granted, a stripped lower has very little chance of needing a repair, but I heard various claims of limited to no warranty support on rifle kits and uppers.

My instincts steered me toward buying a finished rifle, at least for my first AR. My thinking is that I can learn dis-assembly and assembly when I clean the rifle, I know that everything will work together and the rifle that I bought, the Windham Weaponary SRC, has a lifetime warranty that is even transferable if I ever sell it. Where I live, the shops have the S&W for $749.00, they had the Windham on sale for $799.00, regularly $999.00. Sold. I bought it last week and I am picking it up next week after the 10 days.

I figure that AR rifles are very addictive, when I want my next one for my son or daughter or to have a spare for friends to shoot when they go with me, I will then build my own. By then, I will have a lot more knowledge about how the rifle functions and how to break one down and put it together. I can save a few hundred bucks by building one then.

Windham is the company that used to be Bushmaster. When Cerebrus Capital bought Bushmaster, along with Remington and a few other brands, the quality of the Bushmaster went downhill. Cerebrus (The Freedom Group), moved Bushmaster manufacturing from Maine to NY and laid off all of the Bushmaster workers. The founder of the company decided to rehire them and start making rifles again. Based upon my research, the Windham is not the absolute state of the art AR type rifle, but it is quality and when I compared the DPMS, S&W, Del Ton and a few others to it, I liked some of the small touches and the feel of the Windham the best. It has the best warranty of any AR type rifle, assuming the company stays in business.

The good news is that AR style rifles are all interchangeable so to a point, especially for a newer AR user, it doesn't really matter which one you get. ARs are not benchrest target guns, they are for plinking, hunting and self-defense. So in a way, they are like the AK, a commodity and almost everyone has one and has strong opinions. The S&W is good, the Windham is good, the DPMS is good, really, I don't think there are any BAD ARs in most gun stores. Some are more desired than others by aficionados, but until you get to a much higher price range, gas piston rifle, they are a commodity buy.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up buying.

Dan

cwin
02-16-2012, 12:03 AM
I think the M&P15 is a fine choice for a first AR...S&W makes quality firearms back by excellent costumer service.

owenv
02-16-2012, 6:24 AM
haha, same thing that happened to me back in December. Over $1200 and climbing.

Same thing here. Can not stop..... need more..... arrrrrg! :pinch:

JNunez23
02-16-2012, 9:53 AM
In that budget, stick with the M&P. If you can live w/out the forward assist and dust cover, then you're all set.

NorCalK9.com
02-16-2012, 9:54 AM
MP15 sport is an awesome AR!!! just go with the S&W!!!!!!!!

MrExel17
02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
+1 M&P

Chan
02-16-2012, 10:16 AM
I pick up my M&P on Monday. If you're just gonna be shooting paper zombies and not terrorists. I have the same budget as you and concluded that it's I could build a rifle for about the same, but nothing in that price range includes a lifetime warranty. If you have more cash to spend the M&P15T is an even better buy.

cabinetguy
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
not a bad route to go, it will go bang and there are good reviews so far

Johnnyfres
02-16-2012, 1:04 PM
PSA has great deals on LPK's, Lowers and Uppers if you want to build yourself.

I picked the build yourself option so I can get to know my gun better. Also you can do research on each individual part. Great way to learn parts and all the brands and what works well and what does not.

Your choice is a great one if you want to buy and go. I would choose the S&W M&P if I went that route.

McTerry
02-16-2012, 1:16 PM

Oh how true it is... Current project price tag is sitting at $1511 and I still need to pick up a few more 10/20 Pmags and some more ammo. Still no Optics.

ThemBastards
02-16-2012, 1:20 PM

this ^

stix213
02-16-2012, 1:25 PM
Building your own isn't likely to be cheaper than the S&W. I saw an S&W M&P15 for $689 at the gun show last weekend. Hard to beat that. S&W is a quality manufacturer any way you slice it.

therza2071
02-16-2012, 2:21 PM
I have a Sport, and it's amazingly well made for what I spent on it.

cannon
02-16-2012, 3:07 PM
Get the S&W, in ten days you will be having a great time with a great rifle.

McTerry
02-16-2012, 4:31 PM
I am surprised (and also excited) to see no one has tried to tell him to pick up a Del-Ton for the same price with a forward assist and ejection cover.

Stick with the S&W and you will have good times. Trying to beat the Smith & Wesson Price with a Budget Buy of a complete rifle is going to put you in a lower bracket of quality and reliability.

luckylogger6
02-17-2012, 6:58 AM
Thanks for the help. Looks like an MP15 is in my future.

jbush
02-17-2012, 8:13 AM
I've seen the sports as low as 640. Shop around, alota place down south sell them in the 680 range. I opped to build rather then buy complete, but the sport would have been my choice over a DelTon or DPMS in the same price range. Searching reviews here you won't find many unhappy sport owners. Good luck.

problemchild
02-17-2012, 8:30 AM
You can buy a DD upper for 400. Lowers are 50, lpk 30, tube and stock 50.

http://www.smartgunner.com/DD-16-GOVT-M-STR-URG-1.aspx