PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need to ID this make/model.

cuilleree
02-15-2012, 8:02 PM
I'm filling out some paperwork on this little .22 6-shooter that I inherited from my grandma (via my mom), but I have no idea what the make/model is. My grandma had had it since the 50s, we think.

Does anyone recognize it?

Thanks,
Meredith

http://cuilleree.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-b5Xmdxn/0/L/smugshot6134240-L.jpg

http://cuilleree.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-cc3LDqV/0/L/smugshot252449-L.jpg

Ubermcoupe
02-15-2012, 8:12 PM
It looks like a DM products .22LR revolver (pretty obvious I know...)
Im not immediately coming up with much info but here is a like to a past auction for a similar revolver:
http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8202388

EDIT: There are several links to firearms manufactures with the name “DM”
DM Premium (http://www.dmfirearms.com/), from AZ
DM Firearms (http://www.allthenorthcarolina.com/Local/North_Carolina/Raleigh/Merchandise/dm-firearms_5484153) in Raleigh, NC
(sorry it doesn’t really help)

cuilleree
02-15-2012, 8:19 PM
Oooh--I think you're right. I couldn't read the lettering and thought it might say "OM" or "SOM" or "DM" or "SDM," which made it hard to do a search. But the link you sent sure looks similar. I have no idea about the model, though, so I think I'll just have to say that.

Thanks for the help!

Meredith

Ubermcoupe
02-15-2012, 8:23 PM
Sure thing.

Maybe one of the revolver guru’s will have a book on older wheel guns and will be able to chime in. ;)

BTW: This would be perfect for a revolver sub forum...

cuilleree
02-15-2012, 8:34 PM
Good tip about the revolver thread... but I don't know where to find it (I looked around a bit, but I don't come here often enough to know the lay of the land).

This little pistol is so funny to shoot. Pew! Pew! It's so... cute.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-15-2012, 9:53 PM
It's a CDM Products revolver. Criterion Die & Machine Products, Wooster Steet, Manhattan. Cheap pot metal construction. Probably not a good idea to shoot it.

plumbum
02-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Looks like the old German imports, I would even say that is an important piece of history too. If the timing is on, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a few downrange with target style lead RN's (no high/hyper-velocity).

This was all the gun that many people could afford, and I'd bet they were thankful to have something!

Thank you for sharing :D

gunboat
02-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Mine is marked Imperial metal products NY city USA on frame in front of cylinder and IMP NY on the butt. The serial # on opposite side of frame from the makers name. barrel is marked 22 short model IMP

PEZHEAD265
02-16-2012, 7:06 AM
Looks like the old German imports, I would even say that is an important piece of history too. If the timing is on, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a few downrange with target style lead RN's (no high/hyper-velocity).

This was all the gun that many people could afford, and I'd bet they were thankful to have something!

Thank you for sharing :D

They had all soughts of names RG.Omega.Rohm and others.Try googleing these names with model 10 and you should see pics of your pistol.They came over by the ton intil they were banned in the late sixties or early seventies.I would shoot sub sonic or even 22 long out of it if it is in time.

Jeff L
02-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Known as the "Saturday Night Special" back in the day, cheap ,plentiful, disposable.

locktime
02-18-2012, 6:29 AM
That looks like a candidate for a $100 gift card from the police gun roundup.

EM2
02-18-2012, 7:31 AM
That looks like a candidate for a $100 gift card from the police gun roundup.

You must be kidding?
I would NEVER turn over a gun to those @#$%^&*.

gunboat
02-20-2012, 1:59 AM
Interesting -
This same weapon is shown in the 1960 shooters bible as a " Zephyr Midget" in 22 long rifle and a "RG-10" in 22 short. @ $15.50
It is also shown as zephyr blank pistol, 22 short, for $11.50 -- It differs in that the grips are not "pearl"
It would seem the tooling was around for a long time and went through several corporate entities.
my tuppence

kurac
02-20-2012, 8:38 AM
I would turn in $50 revolvers all day long for $100 gift certificates or cash, I think thats a no brainer.

bruceflinch
02-20-2012, 6:20 PM
Known as the "Saturday Night Special" back in the day, cheap ,plentiful, disposable.

Oh yeah!

1zUGd-VC3wk

EM2
02-20-2012, 7:12 PM
I would turn in $50 revolvers all day long for $100 gift certificates or cash, I think thats a no brainer.

And provide aid & comfort to the enemy?

Think about it, you turn in a firearm and you just added to their statistics. They claim your gun as well as many others to show how well they are doing in making the streets safer.

Of course this does not make the streets safer but is rather a part of the larger propaganda machine.

Why take part in that?
For a few bucks?
You can be bought for a few bucks?
Your willing to sell out our cause for a few bucks?

I would rather stick it in the back of my safe and forget it.

jwb28
02-21-2012, 1:17 AM
So, I did a little digging. If the gun is infact an RG by another name, it may not be wise to shoot it. One post I read said the company was sued into BK for unsafe product. Another said metalurgy and heat treating were highly suspect with these guns. Almost everyone said they shot a pattern, not a group.
For what it's worth.

There's a table of popular cartridges with pressure maximums at

www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

Maximum pressure recommended by SAAMI:

.22 Long and Long Rifle = 24,000

.22 WMR = 24,000
(stolen fom a post at the firing line)

jwb28
02-21-2012, 1:20 AM
PS
I'd still keep it if it was my Grandmas gun. :)

PEZHEAD265
02-21-2012, 5:10 AM
Go to gunbroker and look at what those RG's 22CAL are selling for they go anywhere from 50 to a 100 and thats without shipping and ffl fees.RG also made 25,32 ,38cal and a 44 mag all in potmetal frames.They were inexpensive guns just like the Hi points of today.People bought them back in the times of the riots pretty much to have as a night stand gun and alot of them haven't seen much use.