PDA

View Full Version : Can I register m1 carbine?

jj805
02-15-2012, 6:26 PM
Here is the story. My grandfather purchased a Plainfield m1 carbine in the 60's. when he passed away the gun was willed to my mother, who lived in Nebraska at the time. As far as I know the gun has never been registered sense my grandfather passed away in 1979. I know for a fact when we moved to CA, the gun was never registered here. My Mother recently told me she wanted me to have it. My question is, can I register this gun, or should I let my sister who lives in Nebraska have it? If I can register the gun, what do I need to do? By the way, the gun is 100% in original configuration.

jeffrice6
02-15-2012, 6:31 PM
No need to register......

GrizzlyGuy
02-15-2012, 6:32 PM
Long guns like that carbine don't currently need to be registered in CA. Take the gun as a gift from your mom, go forth and be happy. :)

Ubermcoupe
02-15-2012, 6:33 PM
You need to have your mother ship it to an FFL near you (here in CA). You pay a fee and the FFL will DROS it to you and you pick it up in 10 days.

Sorry. I read that your mother was in Nebraska instead of living here in CA.
Because you two are residents of CA (and because you are direct lineage family members) you can fill out this form (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/oplaw.pdf), send in $19 and call it a day. :D

Long Gun registrations isn’t until 2014. (hopefully never)

BTW: Make sure you abide by the magazine restrictions for CA (your mother cannot ship give you her magazines that are >10rds)

jj805
02-15-2012, 6:45 PM
The gun has been in CA sense the 1980's and I turned 18 in 1996. The 15 round magazines have been with the gun the whole time. Can I still Use them sense "I'v had them sense 1996" or should I buy some 10 rounders.

PEZHEAD265
02-15-2012, 6:47 PM
Does it have a folding stock??Because if it does it has to be fixed so it doesn't fold.

GrizzlyGuy
02-15-2012, 6:49 PM
You don't need an FFL since the gun is already in CA.

If you took ownership of the magazines prior to 1/1/2000 then they are yours to keep and legal for you to own and use. If they are still your mom's, she must keep them and you'll need to buy some 10-rounders.

CSACANNONEER
02-15-2012, 6:55 PM
Turning 18 in 1996 doesn't mean a thing. You can legally own long guns and magazines at any age.

Ubermcoupe
02-15-2012, 7:07 PM
The gun has been in CA sense the 1980's and I turned 18 in 1996. The 15 round magazines have been with the gun the whole time. Can I still Use them sense "I'v had them sense 1996" or should I buy some 10 rounders.

Sorry, I misread that your mother was living in NE currently. Edited my post to correct that. :)

If they were your magazines before the year 2000 then use/keep/repair them all you want.
If they were your mother’s magazines she cannot give them to you now. However she could have given them to you before the >10rd mag law went into effect (2000).

Make sure you are clear about this.
If you owned the mags before the ban, they are yours.
If your mother still owns the magazines it would be illegal for her to transfer them to you as you do not meet the qualifications for an exempted person (LEO, highcap mag permit, armored car guard, ...)

They are not illegal to possess.

jj805
02-15-2012, 7:10 PM
Thanks guys. I just want to make sure I don't do anything that will get myself into trouble just because I was unaware of the laws. Thanks again.