PDA

View Full Version : School me on red dots

Infiniti87
02-15-2012, 3:30 PM
Hey everybody, I just got an Aimpoint micro H-1 from a fellow Calguns member. Its my first optic so I need you all to share your knowledge with me. Its going on my .308 AR. My question is about proper placement. How far forward on the rifle should it be? Whatever is comfortable to me?

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

Sicarius
02-15-2012, 3:44 PM
I typically put my red dots from mid to front of the carbine. This way I don't get tunnel vision and can see the environment. That is just me though.
Kevin

bug_eyedmonster
02-15-2012, 3:47 PM
I have my EoTech mounted forward of the ejection port. This keeps me clear of tunnel vision like Sicarius mentioned, and also leaves room for a magnifier. I can also co-witness with a my iron sights as well. I have seen some people mount it further back, but I think it really depends on the shooter.

Jerry

Infiniti87
02-15-2012, 3:52 PM
Well how does this look? It feels pretty comfortable but yea I'd probably have to move it forward when I get a magnifyer.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa4fc3-5492-6a43.jpg

xibunkrlilkidsx
02-15-2012, 4:58 PM
That'll do pig. That'll do. a lot is just personal preferance.

jasonnorcal
02-15-2012, 7:38 PM
Yep, I put mine on the very front of the upper receiver like you have yours in the picture. I read that having them out front helps with keeping your peripheral vision and helps your eyes pick up the dot faster. 1 thing I noticed is that your Larue mount is on opposite of mine, my lever is on the right side.........hmmm

Nice rifle by the way

Press Check
02-15-2012, 8:15 PM
When I had an Aimpoint, it was mounted on the very front of the picatinny rail.

CHS
02-15-2012, 8:18 PM
One thing, keep it on the receiver, not the handguards. If you've got a free-floating handguard system, they will flex independently of the barrel and you can go off-target easily.

On the receiver, no problem. As far as how far back or forward, totally personal preference, but most people find it easier to keep two eyes open and have a larger field of view the further forward they are.

peter95
02-15-2012, 8:22 PM
My eotech is right before where my rail starts....

Infiniti87
02-15-2012, 9:57 PM
Yep, I put mine on the very front of the upper receiver like you have yours in the picture. I read that having them out front helps with keeping your peripheral vision and helps your eyes pick up the dot faster. 1 thing I noticed is that your Larue mount is on opposite of mine, my lever is on the right side.........hmmm

Nice rifle by the way

Thanks Jason, its my first rifle so its definitely been a learning process. Hmmm im not sure about the mount. The sight was already installed on the mount when i got it.

One thing, keep it on the receiver, not the handguards. If you've got a free-floating handguard system, they will flex independently of the barrel and you can go off-target easily.

On the receiver, no problem. As far as how far back or forward, totally personal preference, but most people find it easier to keep two eyes open and have a larger field of view the further forward they are.

Yea the sight is still 100% mounted on the rail on the upper. I definitely see what your saying about the larger field of view. I slid it all the back against my rear sight and seemed to take up alot more of my vision.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I can't wait to get some range time in with the new sight this weekend. Should be lots of fun.

mod1217
02-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Since you are putting your Aimpoint on a .308 AR you do need to put it as far front of the receiver as you can since pretty soon you would be mounting a magnifier with that Aimpoint to fully enjoy your 308

cwin
02-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Well how does this look? It feels pretty comfortable but yea I'd probably have to move it forward when I get a magnifyer.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa4fc3-5492-6a43.jpg

That's just about where I have my T-1 mounted. I also agree it's just about personal preference.

Sicarius
02-16-2012, 8:41 AM
Yes, definately keep it on the receiver. If you need it forward more, you can get a different mount to push the red dot forward while still keeping it mounted to the upper. I have seen people try to bridge the handguard and receiver and that is just bad. As solid as something may feel. The recoil impulse will make it move. Another thing is if you are right handed, people tend to put the quick release on the left side. This way if you have to dump the red dot due to breakage or failing battery, you can keep your strong hand still on the gun and use the weak hand to manipulate the quick release. It is also easier to keep an eye on the quick release just in case it got hung up on something and is partially unlatched. Us weekend warriors hardly have to worry about such things but it's just a method of thinking...
Very nice boom stick btw!
Kevin

chris
02-16-2012, 8:46 AM
i had mine towards the rear of the reciever and just moved it a little forward and seems to work better. it has been quite a few years since i had any optics on my rifle so it was getting used to it again hit the target consistantly.

its all personall preference. try different positions and see what works for you. very nice rifle BTW.

Infiniti87
02-16-2012, 9:21 AM
Yes, definately keep it on the receiver. If you need it forward more, you can get a different mount to push the red dot forward while still keeping it mounted to the upper. I have seen people try to bridge the handguard and receiver and that is just bad. As solid as something may feel. The recoil impulse will make it move. Another thing is if you are right handed, people tend to put the quick release on the left side. This way if you have to dump the red dot due to breakage or failing battery, you can keep your strong hand still on the gun and use the weak hand to manipulate the quick release. It is also easier to keep an eye on the quick release just in case it got hung up on something and is partially unlatched. Us weekend warriors hardly have to worry about such things but it's just a method of thinking...
Very nice boom stick btw!
Kevin

Thanks man :) that makes perfect sense about the quick release lever. I'm right handed so ill keep the lever on the left side.