PDA

View Full Version : legal for VA resident to buy, convert to CA-compliant, send to CA FFL for me?

chrisbrowneye
02-15-2012, 9:29 AM
My brother lives in VA can he buy an AK or VZ out there convert it to CA compliance and ship it to an FFL out here in the SF bay area to transfer to me?

Librarian
02-15-2012, 2:51 PM
Presuming an off-list model, yes, that would be legal - seems to be expensive, since one can get them in CA already.

But if it's a gift, that should work OK; be sure your local FFL is completely aware of what is happening and is on board, and that you know ahead of time what the transfer fee will be.

dwtt
02-16-2012, 7:11 AM
Yes it is perfectly legal. I can go to the Chantilly gun show, which is the biggest in northern VA, and buy a gun that's not on the Roos-Roberti list. Then I make any necessary changes to remove any SB23 violations and the gun is CA legal. Any FFL in CA can receive it and transfer it to you, though there are still many who believe FUD and will not do the transfer. In the SF bay area City Arms has a pretty good reputation, as does Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas. In VA, NOVA Armament in Herndon is a pretty good store to ship from, and some of their staff are former CA residents who know what it's like to live behind the iron curtain.

chrisbrowneye
02-21-2012, 3:29 PM
Ok, thats pretty useful info. thank you. Have you guys ever done business with We The People Arms in Clovis, CA? He seems pretty legitimate but hes like 4 hours away from me.

wildhawker
02-21-2012, 3:35 PM
Ok, thats pretty useful info. thank you. Have you guys ever done business with We The People Arms in Clovis, CA? He seems pretty legitimate but hes like 4 hours away from me.

There are lots of OLL friendly FFLs in your area. Tracy Rifle and Pistol, City Arms East, and Bullseye Castro Valley come to mind.

-Brandon