PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a Hunting Liscence?

VeryCoolCat
03-30-2007, 7:48 PM
I live in Los Angeles... and have been wanting to do so for the past year, but the only place I've heard of having the 10 hour required class is in the angeles range.

Thats fine and all... but thats at least a 1hr drive for me without dense traffic.

What are the steps I should do first?

I remember reading a while back I had to take at written test first?

battlehatch
03-30-2007, 8:08 PM
I took an online class then went to my local gun shop and then took a 4 hr supplement and test. Piece of cake, could have taken the final exam without even studying.

wildcard
03-30-2007, 9:35 PM
1. Sign up for hunter safety class (I think that's what it's called)
2. Take the hunter safety class
3. Take the test at the end of the class
3. Receive hunter safety certificate
4. Validate hunter safety certificate at Big 5, Turner's, etc
5. Get Hunting license, tags, and stamps at the same time or anytime after

VeryCoolCat
04-17-2007, 6:10 PM
I thought i'd revive my old post.

Basically everyones told me..... to get a hunting Liscence... I go get a hunting liscence.

Nobody has told me the process... I am at a complete loss at this point. Its actually discouraged me from getting one for the last 2 years now. As someone stated previously... to sign up for a hunter safety class.... any tips? Should I just call random places ask for pricing?

I know absolutely nothing about the process.

I've visited the california hunters education classes list.... the insight range on the last saturday is probably my best bet or Redondo rod and gun. I guess I'm forced to randomly calling places.

I was hoping someone knew a place or could give me any hints.

I tried looking at the online classes... but all I get is a list of places that are quite far away from me. So that just confused me more.

virulosity
04-17-2007, 6:29 PM
What are the benefits of having a license if you dont hunt?

Hunter
04-17-2007, 6:36 PM
The procedure to getting a hunting license is as follows:

First find yourself a class that you can take. Now you will find classes offered in a varity of formats:

1) Some are over 3 nights (3 hrs each) during week days and then with range time plus the final test taking place on a saturday.

2) Some classes are 2 8hr sessions --- works well for young people with short attention spans (9 yrs-11yrs olds) and for those folks that don't want to spend 12-14 in a single day. This is the best format without wasting too much time --- basically a weekend typically. Plus is that there is enough time to have live range fire, ect...

3) The last one is a grueling 1 day marathon event. Good for folks with a handle on the issues already as there is little time to prepare. Also the one day will have minimal to no live fire (not required to pass)

Now once you have picked a class out...sign up right away. They will start to fill weeks to months in advance, especially now as we approach the new hunting seasons starting in June and the drawings for big game.

Once you have signed up, they will get you the class material in advance. This is so that you will become familiar with the subject matter and then the class is for review and questions. Works well. Now if you really would like to get a jump on this, I think Nevada has one of the BEST hunting booklets out there for hunter education. Take a look here:

http://www.ndow.org/learn/classes/hunt/workbook/index.shtm

Also I know you are in Socal, but the Region 3 Instructors have a website with some material buried in it as well. Take a look for it here:

http://www.cahuntereducation.org/

Bottomline is that this hunter education is geared toward passing kids 9yrs old and up. So the material is not that hard and most adults will quickly pickup the key points needed to pass the test. But passing really only gets you the paper...if you want to really learn the ropes of hunting, I would recommend to hookup with a current hunter to feel your way around.

If you are just wanting the hunting license for an extra insurance policy (good idea!), then you are good to go after you pass the test. With a passing grade, you will be given a hunter eduction certificate. You will then need to take that down and validate it with a Hunter Ed. Stamp. Then you are ready to actually buy the hunting license.

Hunter
04-17-2007, 6:41 PM
I forgot the #4 type of class -- the online one for all of the classroom work. Then you show up in person for a day for the actual test and live fire practice.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/ca/index.htm

VeryCoolCat
04-18-2007, 7:04 AM
What are the benefits of having a license if you dont hunt?

You might as well ask someone why they don't drive when they DON'T have a drivers liscence.

Or why they people don't practice medicine when they don't have a medical liscence.

swift
04-18-2007, 8:39 PM
If I got a hunting license this year, would I need to take the hunter safety class again next year prior to renewing the license? I'm thinking of getting one just in case I get around to hunting varmints.

Prospector
04-19-2007, 6:39 AM
If I got a hunting license this year, would I need to take the hunter safety class again next year prior to renewing the license? I'm thinking of getting one just in case I get around to hunting varmints.

The certificate earned from the class is lifetime. The license itself need to be purchase every year unless you get the lifetime hunting license.

mike100
04-19-2007, 6:45 AM
My thoughts. having a hunting lic does give you more latitude when you have been stopped with guns and you can say you were getting ready to head out for a camping trip. It gives you some fish and game code to fall back on- sort of legitimizes things.. just like having a membership to a range so you can justify handguns in transit (since you can't store those in your car like long guns).

two ways to get a hunting lic.
1) not recommended- if you are old enough, you can just sign off on an affidavit that you had a lic before they required a hunters safety class. this is the category dick cheney belongs to.

2) go through the motions and learn some valuable info. get hooked up with somebody who might take you along on a birdie hunt. EF&G does the class for $10 just to support youth and their parents.

joebarbarian
04-19-2007, 8:02 PM
Try the pachmayer shooting range (I think thats the correct spelling) it's in el monte off the 60 fwy not to far from downtown thats were I got mine at 12 yrs old... I'm 46 so things might have changed a bit.

Joe.

fairfaxjim
04-19-2007, 8:24 PM
1) not recommended- if you are old enough, .you can just sign off on an affidavit that you had a lic before they required a hunters safety class. this is the category dick cheney belongs to.

2) go through the motions .....

I just dug up my old NRA Hunter Safety Course card, dated 10-1-1960. I wonder if that one is too old to get a license with. It was signed by my dad. He did bunches of NRA courses, mostly Hunter Safety when I was a kid. I used to help him and his co-instructers haul all the stuff in and out for the classes. I must have been through that class a hundred times.

Also found an old hunting license with it, issued 8-4-69. Resident hunting license was $4. It has a deer tag number on it, but not a clue what those cost.

Guess that puts me in the Cheney catagory - wow, that sucks!

taloft
04-19-2007, 9:06 PM
Actually, any expired hunting license you have can be used to get a current license. Also, your hunter safety course card is good for life. At least this is my understanding of the situation.

As for why someone would want a hunting license when they don't hunt. Simple, that and a tag for a year round critter such as wild pig will allow you to hike in the National Forest with a loaded gun.:D

Kestryll
04-20-2007, 12:05 AM
1) not recommended- if you are old enough, you can just sign off on an affidavit that you had a lic before they required a hunters safety class. this is the category dick cheney belongs to.

How does this work?
When I was in my teens I had a hunting license and went out to the Colorado river with my Dad for dove and some more local areas for pheasent.
I have no idea where any of the paperwork on that is, it was many moves and years ago. This was in the late '70's and very early '80's.
Is there a way to find the info or do I start from scratch?

caduckgunner
04-20-2007, 4:58 AM
How does this work?
When I was in my teens I had a hunting license and went out to the Colorado river with my Dad for dove and some more local areas for pheasent.
I have no idea where any of the paperwork on that is, it was many moves and years ago. This was in the late '70's and very early '80's.
Is there a way to find the info or do I start from scratch?

I think you can still sign the affidavid. My friends dad did this a few years ago, all he had to write down was the date was he bought his last license was and where he bought it.

caduckgunner
04-20-2007, 4:59 AM

PLEASE DON"T DO THIS unless you have acctually taken a hunters safety course.

mike100
04-20-2007, 6:04 AM
I found my original one from 1985. I recently retook the course (about two years ago) anyways.

btw, my original course was taught in the Jr. high school I went to in AZ. I've seen guns in school many times....in the hands of the teachers and responsible adults..damn shame about schools being soft targets now.