PDA

View Full Version : I'll Take It, Without an HSC

bhaubold
02-15-2012, 2:50 PM
I'm new to this forum, and to handguns. I hope to find and buy a gun off the Marketplace ads here.

Is it rude to bid or agree to buy a gun without having an HSC? Or, would it be acceptable to take the test at the time of transfer?

Thanks for your input,

Bob

gono
02-15-2012, 2:53 PM
I'd get it first just in case you don't pass on the day of the transfer. Though it is a easy test

incredablehefey
totally fine
just take the test when you buy it and start the dros, just show up early and take the test before the seller arrives

halifax
Tell the seller then show up at the transfer dealer a 1/2 hour early. Call the dealer first to be certain they have HSCs in stock. This really shouldn't be a big problem, I'd think.

CSACANNONEER
02-15-2012, 2:54 PM
I don't see a problem with it as long as you are positive that the dealer will be able to administer the test at that time. If you are getting a gun shipped to a FFL, it'll be between you and the FFL. The seller will already have his funds and be out of the picture. If you are going to do a PPT, you should, at least, advise the seller that there could be an issue if the FFL does not have any tests to administer.

socalbowhunter
Just show up a little earlier than your agreed upon time and take the test. It only takes about 10 minutes.

Now if you fail, the seller has the right to kick you square in the balls. That rule is somewhere on the DOJ's site, you can look it up.

Bert Gamble
I am thinking that you can get the HSC when you meet for the transfer. The test is so easy that if you can type "I'll take it" in a PM, you will have no trouble passing.

skyscraper
02-15-2012, 2:57 PM
I wouldnt find it offensive...

n2stackin
02-15-2012, 2:58 PM
What they said. If you can figure out which shoe goes on what foot, you can pass the HSC test.

Agree with calling ahead to make sure they have a test and card on hand. I sold a gun to someone last year who was going to take the test before the PPT, but the local gun store didn't have any left. We had to go somewhere else.

odysseus
02-15-2012, 3:00 PM
I think it is fine. Though I understand you can't start DROS until you pass the test, which you should pass no problem, right? But you should tell the seller if you are going to use any single moment of their time with it.

However honestly - if you have a little time, just go down and get it done now and get it over with. Simplify things.

03fatboy
02-15-2012, 3:02 PM
As a seller I would be a little nervous about meeting you without the HSC, current Drivers license and secondary proof of residency. But if you took the test and got your HSC prior to meeting for the transfer, it would be a moot point but if you fail and have to re-take while the seller waits would be an issue for me, considering my schedule at times. Most want to meet, inspect the firearm, do the dros and get on their way.

It's not a big deal, but I would suggest getting your HSC prior to meeting.

Infiniti87
02-15-2012, 3:06 PM
I am thinking that you can get the HSC when you meet for the transfer. The test is so easy that if you can type "I'll take it" in a PM, you will have no trouble passing.

Lol a couple weeks ago I was at my local gun shop and there were these 2 pretty decent looking girls in there trying to buy Glocks. They were both taking their HSC tests. Both of them failed and one of them only got 5 questions right.........I guess some may not find it that easy.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

wikioutdoor
02-15-2012, 3:13 PM
the time between when you win and when you pick up will be more than enough to ace the quiz, I did and didn't even study.

h0use
02-15-2012, 3:14 PM
take the test asap. i have seen alot of people fail, no biggie they can take it again.

NeenachGuy
02-15-2012, 3:16 PM
I'm new to this forum, and to handguns. I hope to find and buy a gun off the Marketplace ads here.

Is it rude to bid or agree to buy a gun without having an HSC? Or, would it be acceptable to take the test at the time of transfer?

Thanks for your input,

Bob

In the time that it took you to create this thread, and wait for and read all the responses, you could have taken the test and had your HSC issued and laminated. I'm just sayin'.....

five.five-six
02-15-2012, 3:19 PM
I really do not care if you have your HSC or not, just so long as I get my money upon your inspection, releasing the handgun to you it between you and the FFL

cqbdude
02-15-2012, 3:20 PM
If you are planning on buying a handgun. You should just get your HSC.

Like everyone says its not that hard to get.

Why create unnecessary issues with your next purchase.

whipkiller
02-15-2012, 3:24 PM
Just show up a little earlier than your agreed upon time and take the test. It only takes about 10 minutes.

Now if you fail, the seller has the right to kick you square in the balls. That rule is somewhere on the DOJ's site, you can look it up.

^^^
This.

Anyone who fails that test should under no circumstances be able to own a gun.

I did miss the one about legal age to own a HANDGUN (hint, hint) 'cuz I second-guessed my first instinct. Other than that, I remember being a little frightened at how easy the test is.

bhaubold
02-15-2012, 3:40 PM
One of the reasons I'm asking this question is, I read here that some gun shops don't want to sell you a card if you're not buying from them.

Guess I'll go to the local shop and see what they say. Other problem is: Every time I see a gun I want, it's sold. But, that's life in the big city. May force me to buy new. That's ok too.

Thanks for all your replys. This is a great forum.

Anti-Hero
02-15-2012, 3:43 PM
take the test asap. i have seen alot of people fail, no biggie they can take it again.

WTF? Anyone who fails that test should not even think about owning a firearm.

LOL - I took a co-worker to the gun store, who has NEVER shot a gun in his life, nor done any research on the applicable laws, etc. He missed 1 question.

bigcalidave
02-15-2012, 3:44 PM
Lol a couple weeks ago I was at my local gun shop and there were these 2 pretty decent looking girls in there trying to buy Glocks. They were both taking their HSC tests. Both of them failed and one of them only got 5 questions right.........I guess some may not find it that easy.

wtf, only got 5 right?? You would have to willfully ignore any common sense to miss that many of those.

Swift Justice
02-15-2012, 4:05 PM
I would think that you would want to inform the seller of your intentions to take the test the day of the transaction and let him make the call whether that makes a difference to him or not.

Let's not confuse passing DROS with an HSC - if there is no HSC the sale cannot be completed and DROS can't be started, its an issue between buyer and seller, vs. a completed sale and the buyer not passing DROS, in which case it becomes an issue between the FFL and the buyer (and DOJ). If the buyer does not meet the minimum requirements for a purchase (HSC, valid ID and proof of residence) no transfer can take place.

Infiniti87
02-15-2012, 4:38 PM
wtf, only got 5 right?? You would have to willfully ignore any common sense to miss that many of those.

Don't ask me how it happened but I was standing right next to her filling out some DROS paperwork as the guy was grading it. Some people just don't have any common sense.

tbc
02-15-2012, 5:00 PM
The test just covers all the common sense. You will pass it for sure. But I would go take it now for one reason that the FFL dealer may be running out of cards.

Oceanbob
02-15-2012, 5:11 PM
Get the HSC card before you bother to possibly waste a seller time. Some FFLs are out of cards and have been waiting for months.
Get all your ducks in a row before posting 'I'll take it'.

jmo

cmichini
02-15-2012, 6:30 PM
Biggest hassle will be ensuring the FFL has HSC cards in stock and will be willing to let you take the test.

Some reserve them only for customers BUYING a gun at their store.

If it were me, I'd do the HSC before the day of the PPT to reduce the risk of having seller show up and have to come back.

It's only courtesy to have ALL your ducks in a row before getting the seller to the FFL (that includes all required proof of residency, lock, etc.).

TurboChrisB
02-15-2012, 8:49 PM
The first time I took the HSC test and the last time were both on meeting to purchase a handgun.

cwin
02-15-2012, 9:07 PM
I'd be ok with it...as long as you passed ;)

FXR
02-16-2012, 1:00 AM
One of the reasons I'm asking this question is, I read here that some gun shops don't want to sell you a card if you're not buying from them.

Guess I'll go to the local shop and see what they say. Other problem is: Every time I see a gun I want, it's sold. But, that's life in the big city. May force me to buy new. That's ok too.

Thanks for all your replys. This is a great forum.

Whether they want to is irrelevant, as an FFl they are required to perform various related services, like HSCs and PPTs. As a side note, they could probably use an attitude adjustment and try to earn your business for ammo, accessories, and future purchases rather than trying to avoid spending a few minutes administering the test.

ETA: the FFL is not selling you a card, they're acting as an agent of the state in administering a state required test.

Steve1968LS2
02-16-2012, 7:55 AM
Yea, if you don't have the HSC show up early and take care of it.. it would be rude to make the seller stand around while you take the test.

calif 15-22
02-16-2012, 8:09 AM

Tooooo funny :laugh:

I took mine about 2 months ago. Took all of 10 minutes. Handed it to this tiny tough gal over the counter and she said in a loud voice so everyone could hear . . . "YOU FAILED. IF YOU CAN'T READ SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS YOU SHOULDN'T OWN A GUN!!!" I looked around in dismay at the other 5 people there.

Apparently the first instuction on the test is "Mark you answer with an X". I had Circled all the answers. :facepalm:

She stared at me for a minute then laughed and signed my off. Scared the crap out me. Everytime I see her now at the store we have a laugh over it.

Take the test well in advance just incase.

whipkiller
02-16-2012, 8:44 AM

And he said they were "decent looking"...

If yer gonna' be that dumb, you really need to be smoking hot.

Briancnelson
02-16-2012, 1:26 PM
Just make sure it's done and passed before I physically start driving to the meet. Otherwise, If I get there and the already slow paperwork process is slowed down by another 10-30 minutes by your test, I will kick you in the nuts, even if you pass.

Or charge you my hourly rate of $295. Your choice.

cmichini
02-16-2012, 1:48 PM
Whether they want to is irrelevant, as an FFl they are required to perform various related services, like HSCs and PPTs. As a side note, they could probably use an attitude adjustment and try to earn your business for ammo, accessories, and future purchases rather than trying to avoid spending a few minutes administering the test.

ETA: the FFL is not selling you a card, they're acting as an agent of the state in administering a state required test.

You would be surprised. Ppt is required by statute if they sell guns.
I've never seen reference to something similar for hsc.
The dealer pays upfront for the cards so they may have leeway there. That's why it's advisable to get it all done way before getting the seller off his couch.

ke6guj
02-16-2012, 1:56 PM
Whether they want to is irrelevant, as an FFl they are required to perform various related services, like HSCs and PPTs.
what law says that they have to do HSC tests for you?

but they do buy those cards from CADOJ and are then allowed to resell them with up a $10 mark up, provided the person has passed the test.

What if they say that the licensed HSC instructor is not present to administer the test? What if they say that the licensed HSC instructor is out of cards?

Eljay
02-16-2012, 2:10 PM
I'd just get one now. Why wait? If there's a local shortage and stores are hording them they aren't going to be any more likely to release one to do a PPT than if you just go in and ask for one. Heck, you not having a HSC might give them an excuse not to do the PPT...

Mickey D
02-17-2012, 5:50 PM
HSC is easy, even a caveman can pass it.

vintagearms
02-17-2012, 6:07 PM
As a seller I would be a little nervous about meeting you without the HSC, current Drivers license and secondary proof of residency. But if you took the test and got your HSC prior to meeting for the transfer, it would be a moot point but if you fail and have to re-take while the seller waits would be an issue for me, considering my schedule at times. Most want to meet, inspect the firearm, do the dros and get on their way.

It's not a big deal, but I would suggest getting your HSC prior to meeting.

I agree.

Shooters Sight
02-18-2012, 8:49 AM
It's best to take the test ahead of time. To simplify things between you, the seller and the people in the shop where you're doing the transfer. Just my $0.02

Good luck!
SS

PPQ
02-18-2012, 9:11 AM
1. Get the HSC before the PPT as a courtesy to your seller...make sure you show up with the card, CDL or CID, a second form of ID that establishes residency (utility bill, car registration, etc.) and, of course the $$$ to complete the sale and the transfer.

2. Plan to bring or buy a lock if your seller doesn't have one for the gun.

3. Make sure you are not a "Prohibited Person" and can purchase a firearm.

4. Study up...don't embarrass yourself. Here's the guide:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

Make it a matter of personal pride...go for 100%!

Remember when the BFSC was for lifetime...now the HSC is good for 5 years...why? The state can collect the fee every 5 years...it has nothing to do with safety...:mad:

Oldnoob
02-18-2012, 9:48 AM
WTF? Anyone who fails that test should not even think about owning a firearm.

LOL - I took a co-worker to the gun store, who has NEVER shot a gun in his life, nor done any research on the applicable laws, etc. He missed 1 question.

You would be surprised. I have seem an elderly guy fail his test and later the salesman told me that it was his 3rd time taking it. :facepalm:

Oldnoob
02-18-2012, 9:49 AM
To the OP, please show up early to take the HSC. And don't forget the 2nd prove of residency.

Mossy Man
02-18-2012, 10:03 AM
You would think the majority of people who fail the test probably have reading comprehension issues.

By that I mean they can't read English, or don't speak English.

That's the best reason to fail it.

Bug Splat
02-20-2012, 3:10 AM
I like to think of myself as a nice understanding guy but I had to wait while one kid took his tests. In fact the shop only did testing at the end of the day so we had to wait for 1.5 hours. I was ready to kick the kid square in the nuts. Dragged my rear all the way up to a shop an hour away and he did not even take the test yet.

Get your HSC before you say "I'll take it". Don't waste the sellers time.

monk
02-20-2012, 6:53 AM
Is it common for a shop to only administer an hsc to people buying something from them?

Brandon04GT
02-20-2012, 6:57 AM
Is it common for a shop to only administer an hsc to people buying something from them?

I think there was a thread about this recently as some peeps have come to notice that. The reasoning that some FFL's gave was that the DOJ has been really slow in shipping them blank HSC cards so they chose to save what they have for customers who purchase handguns from them.

littlejake
02-20-2012, 12:21 PM
If a person said, "I'll take it" and does not have their HSC at the time -- that's a deal breaker for me. (Unless they have an exemption from the HSC)

Next time I put a FS ad on CGN, I'll be adding that language. I also want a person to have 100+ posts and an iTrader rating of 2 or more with 100% positive.

As far as I an concerned, if you do not have all the required paperwork at the time you say, "I'll take it" the offer is void.

It's the fastest way to be on my ignore list.:mad: