View Full Version : different between remington 770 and 700

02-15-2012, 1:31 PM
Hey guys, I need some advice. I did some research from remington site but didn't help much. I'm looking to buy a bolt action rifle (.308). I know rem 770 is cheaper than rem 700. I don't really see any different between these rifle. I need help whether which rifle I should get.

02-15-2012, 1:49 PM
Well the chick is going to answer this one.

Research the 710 which is the predecessor of the 770. It was Remington's first foray into a cheaper rifle for the hunter who maybe only used it occasionally. Apparently it had a lot of internal plastic parts.

After the 710 was discontinued they then decided there was still a market for a cheaper hunting rifle and they did improve the parts that went into the new 770. But if you go to your local shop and check out both you will feel a difference in handling of both weapons. Just do some cycling of the bolt and it will become pretty evident.

For the price difference if you want something that will outlast you, get the 700. But most folks who I have seen get the 770 have enjoyed them, how much they use it I don't know.

Good luck!

02-15-2012, 1:55 PM
The 770 is definitely the 'low-end' Remington centerfire rifle. However, as Shellshocker said, many people have enjoyed them. My friend has one and he likes it, but then again he only uses it maybe 3 times a year.

02-15-2012, 1:56 PM
I wouldn't touch a 770 if you paid me. They have one at my local Wal-Mart and its literally collecting dust because everyone knows how much they suck.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-15-2012, 2:30 PM
The 770 sucks as bad as it's predecessor, the 710 did. The local factory authorized gunsmith won't even touch them. They are crap, pure and simple. Too many plastic parts inside. And what isn't plastic seems to be cheap pot metal. They last about 5 years with regular use. And by "regular use", I mean you sight it in before deer season, and go hunting once or twice a year with it. If you want to go for an inexpensive rifle that will last, look at the Stevens by Savage. Or save up and get the Remington 700. It is a far better rifle, and with proper care, your grandchildren will be teaching your great-great-grandchildren how to shoot with it someday.

02-15-2012, 4:53 PM
thanks guys, probably stop by local gun shop on the weekend to check out some 700 models.

02-15-2012, 8:18 PM
About 70 ........ I had to.

02-15-2012, 8:22 PM
About 70 ........ I had to.

No kidding.;)

02-15-2012, 9:01 PM
I bought a 710 almost 10 years ago.

For me it's been a great little economical rifle. I have about 300 rounds through it with no issues. (sighting in and hunting)

It is by no means a Pretty rifle, but from the standpoint of it being a tool, it does it's job.

My only gripe is its warm barrel accuracy; seems to really drift, but it takes game just fine

02-15-2012, 9:08 PM
Well the chick is going to answer this one.

Please don't ever apologize for being "a chick". I've taken a few firearms training courses, including some advanced ones. I'm taking a few more this year and some of the most accomplished and knowledgeable instructors I've had were "chicks".

Skill, training and experience knows no gender.

Just sayin'..... :cool: