PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday Prepper Shoots Himself

aermotor
02-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Not sure if anyone caught the new episode of Doomsday Preppers... The Dad shoots his thumb and blames the gun for misfiring......... Dummy even says he put his hand in front of the barrel and boom. But he blames the gun, not his moronic ways.

It was one of those malfunctions, my thumb went in front of the barrel and umm it went off.

http://www.5min.com/Video/Tim-Shoots-His-Thumb-Off-on-Doomsday-Preppers-517273264

joefreas
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Not too bright.

Chaos47
02-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Yea was watching it and was like what a missfire? He had a KaBoom? Then later he says he put his hand infront of the barrel I was like :facepalm:

He had a misfire all right... in the head-space between his ears...

aermotor
02-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Yea was watching it and was like what a missfire? He had a KaBoom?

Yea I thought the same thing, thought he had a kaboom. Negative... :facepalm:

bloodhawke83
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Hard lesson learned.

a1c
02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Those wannabes are making gun owners, survivalists and Americans in general look like a bunch of idiots.

LaLa
02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
He had a misfire all right... in the head-space between his ears...

This.^

His thumb looked so gross. :/

llamatrnr
02-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Damn Glocks! :D

joefreas
02-15-2012, 12:40 PM
"It was one of those malfunctions with my thumb over the barrel." (Actual quote, Tim from Doomsday Preppers)

Jack L
02-15-2012, 12:43 PM
But he did make a cool weapon that does many things. I thought that tool that looks like a shovel was cool. I want one.

bruss01
02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
The Crovel inventor is in the government profiling crosshairs for sure now, what with him storing food, owning guns and missing fingers.

Curley Red
02-15-2012, 2:13 PM
When doomsday comes he won't last very long if he can't handle a firearm during a time of peace.

17+1
02-15-2012, 2:26 PM
What a moron.

Deadbolt
02-15-2012, 2:28 PM
Those wannabes are making gun owners, survivalists and Americans in general look like a bunch of idiots.

thats likely the intention: ostracize and demonize.

wikioutdoor
02-15-2012, 2:32 PM
I think the lesson was lost on most people - this guy has been shooting a ton for his whole life - he made a mistake and shot himself. That can happen to anyone at any time. You only need to look to the military, trained professionals / friendly fire. That's why gun safety is so important to reduce the possibility of an incident as far as possible, you can never totally be safe with anything least of all guns.

Luckily this happened to him at a time when it was a non critical situation which is the whole point of prepping.

And if you think preparers are idiots because of a show then your not accepting television as entertainment or understanding that you take what you can get in life / sorry.

wikioutdoor
02-15-2012, 2:43 PM
Exactly their intent. They have to diminish all gun owners and portray us as idiots. Some have a head start

Uh yeah except with all of the exposure shows like this sons of guns, and even fps russia are giving to the shooting industry guns are flying off the shelves in record numbers so that would have the opposite effect.

I have a whole slew of friends that suddenly want ar15's for no other reason.

Deadbolt
02-15-2012, 2:49 PM
no i think the assumption I was making was that the show was structured in a way to debase and discredit the activity of "prepping" - my apologies if that was not clear

And if you think preparers are idiots because of a show then your not accepting television as entertainment or understanding that you take what you can get in life / sorry.

wikioutdoor
02-15-2012, 2:54 PM
Yes it is definitely downplaying the risks the preparers are talking about in some cases. I think that is probably good business by not inducing further hysteria.

However as long as the show continues to air it will be a subject for debate or a study in alternative theories possibly long after even. That is definitely a good thing and has brought many people to the table that weren't before.

I had some neighbors last weekend for the first time since I moved here 8 years ago come up and start asking me about water filtration for emergencies.

five.five-six
02-15-2012, 2:55 PM
friends don't let friends buy glocks

Shellshocker66
02-15-2012, 3:19 PM
I really enjoyed his fainting on camera! Now there is a tough guy... Well ok maybe not...

Well his shovel will probably be a hit, although for a hundred bucks it's a little on the pricey side! But he did give it some good promo time!
http://www.gearupcenter.com/crovel-tactical/

Rob454
02-15-2012, 3:45 PM

You don't think there is some other motive besides "entertainment" in the portrayal of these doomsday people? The media wants them to be seen like kooks and crazies. i can take ANY sane and reasonable person and if I edit the film enough I can make them seem like whackadoos. And I am a total idiot when it comes to video editing I can only imagine what someone who knows what they are doing can do.

I really enjoyed his fainting on camera! Now there is a tough guy... Well ok maybe not...
]

he was in shock he did not faint like you think. Some of the toughest people can go into shock over something like that. And that sometimes can kill you even if the wound is not fatal

kylemurdoc
02-15-2012, 3:48 PM
He employs 400 people with his shovel business, in America.
3:54 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRAZSdWJqTs

Shellshocker66
02-15-2012, 4:07 PM
he was in shock he did not faint like you think. Some of the toughest people can go into shock over something like that. And that sometimes can kill you even if the wound is not fatal

OK, let me give you a little education on the difference between shock and fainting.

Shock is inadequate tissue perfusion. It means your organs and tissue are not receiving the needed O2 to continue to function. Little known fact (yes I'm going into medical trivia) The most common question that is answered wrong is, what does everyone die from? Most answer cardiac arrest which is wrong. Every one dies of inadequate tissue perfusion, no matter how you die!

Now for our little guy last night who FAINTED, he had a vasovagal response. Which is caused by the vagus nerve, most common symptoms before a vagal response is feeling lightheaded, turning pale and then passing out. It has a very quick recovery time, because as soon as the person passes out the stimulus to the vagus nerve ends and all returns to normal. (little more trivia, people can have a vagal response from vomiting, straining while using the restroom, and there is a medical procedure that is used to incite a vagal response to stop a fast heart rhythm, and the most common is the sudden traumatic event that cause people to hold their breath and strain at the same time due to pain like our guy lastnight!).

Trust me if the guy has been in shock we would not have seen him coming back around on TV without some major fluid infusing, not to mention he did not loose enough blood from that wound to cause shock.

Not spouting this from wiki, but from years and years of experience as a Paramedic, Paramedic instructor, and preceptor for Paramedic students.

bruss01
02-15-2012, 4:30 PM
Right, I think they meant mental/emotional shock rather than the medical definition of shock. The combination of pain and embarassment would probably cause a lot of us to black out for a few seconds. Anyone who thinks that's not a real injury... believe me, that's got to hurt like bloody hell to where you can't see straight. It would be better if the thumb were completely severed, any nerve endings still functioning in the extremity are still transmitting pain to the brain. I am glad they were able to save his thumb. Bet he won't do that again. Ouch.

MrExel17
02-15-2012, 4:31 PM
I bet he'll not do that again!:facepalm:

Below.Zero
02-15-2012, 4:33 PM
:facepalm:

Rob454
02-15-2012, 5:14 PM
Ok well from what you say he fainted then. Either way it doesn't sound like its uncommon ( given the circumstances listed by you and what happened to him on camera) so why make fun of the guy? I meant more like the holy crap i am bleeding and just got shot I can't believe this is happening to me shock. ( I guess more of the I got in a accident and so overwhelmed with the situation some people simply pass out. hell my buddy passed out at his wedding. I remember when I was a kid a buddy sliced the tip of his pinkie off and freaked out running around then finally sitting down thinking he is gonna die. . Not I just got my arm blown off and I am bleeding to death shock.

joash
02-15-2012, 8:07 PM
The interesting thing is that the medic from the TV crew had to step in and save him. If not for that guy, who knows what might have happened. Through his negligent preparations for hypothetical dangers, he managed to create a real danger that hadn't existed before and could have killed himself.

btw. for all the stopping power 9mm vs. .45 internet master debaters - just look what a .22 LR to the thumb did to that guy, put him completely out of commission.

Tier One Arms
02-15-2012, 8:16 PM
What a coincidence that this happened one the very day they were filming the show!

SuperSet
02-15-2012, 8:32 PM
He should have let his training take over so he can call his parents.

tradecraft
02-15-2012, 8:37 PM
I rate his prepping ability.....1.5 thumbs down!

joash
02-15-2012, 8:38 PM
He means well, but he's all thumbs!

Fishslayer
02-15-2012, 9:12 PM
What misfire? Sounds like it fired just like it was s'posed to! :rofl2:

stitchnicklas
02-15-2012, 9:14 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Press Check
02-15-2012, 9:24 PM
That was seriously gnarly. Thumb looks like ground beef now. Feel bad for the dude.

sawchain
02-15-2012, 9:38 PM
Because this guy preps...he will be the one to repopulate the Earth.

Doh.

aermotor
02-15-2012, 10:46 PM
friends don't let friends buy glocks

I WILL TAKE YOU INTO A DARK ALLEY AND FIGHT YOU!

btw. for all the stopping power 9mm vs. .45 internet master debaters - just look what a .22 LR to the thumb did to that guy, put him completely out of commission.

I don't think he did that with the .22

I rate his prepping ability.....1.5 thumbs down!

:rofl:

Synergy
02-15-2012, 11:08 PM

From the clip I just watched, that was staged. Been an Emt/Paramedic for 15 years! Isolated extremity injuries do not cause enough blood loss for a loss of consciousness. I have seen a guy rip the inside of his elbow open and lacerate his brachial artery. Spurting, pumping blood and he stayed conscious the whole time. I call Bravo Sierra! :facepalm:

aermotor
02-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Errr it's not blood loss causing the shock.... (See previous EMTs long post as well) Dudes eyes rolled into his head. Pretty sure that was not staged. Guy lost it when he realized what he'd done and saw his shredded thumb.

Synergy
02-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Errr it's not blood loss causing the shock.... (See previous EMTs long post as well) Dudes eyes rolled into his head. Pretty sure that was not staged. Guy lost it when he realized what he'd done and saw his shredded thumb.

His hand was already bandaged and medic was assisting him. Watch when he falls back, his neck is still flexed and his right arm still has motor control. He would have gone dead limp and his head would have slapped the sand! The visual trauma was gone! I could be wrong, in medicine there is always a 1% case. I say this case was for TV drama.

A non conventional real world test of "unconsciousness" is to take a persons hand and hold it above their face and let it drop. Unconscious with no motor control and the hand will hit the persons face. Natural tendency for a conscious human is to not hit their face. Their hand will always slide off to the side of their face. Someone who is conscious and faking will not cause themselves more pain.

I see this as a ploy to promote gun owners as incompetent fools that injure themselves and pass out in front of their children.

only10x
02-15-2012, 11:34 PM
looks like the zombies have an easy meal there...

arslin
02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
I bet he'll not do that again!:facepalm:
He can't... that finger is gone (or part there of). You can only blow a given finger off once.

Synergy
02-15-2012, 11:47 PM
He can't... that finger is gone (or part there of). You can only blow a given finger off once.

Like a cat, he has 9 more to go! :43:

Rob454
02-16-2012, 5:11 AM
Call it what you will its still wrong to make fun of it or for the producers to portray gun owners as crazy off the wall idiots that will hurt themselves if they even touch a rifle. You guys may see this as entertainment, i see it as a slam to responsible gun ownership. As much as you guys make fun of the guy for faking it imagine what a non gun person or a anti gun person thinks.
I turned on the tv and i watched part of two episodes. The one in question was one of them the other was the people who had the morse code for talking. Maybe shock is not the right term but I have seen people lose it at the sight of a little blood. Did not have to be gushing or limbs cut off for some people to flip out.
After seeing a good portion of the shows i have absolutely no interest in watching anymore. From the outside they all look like crazy people. By watching it you guys are feeding the flames of the fire you are trying to put out.

Shellshocker66
02-16-2012, 7:52 AM
Ok well from what you say he fainted then. Either way it doesn't sound like its uncommon ( given the circumstances listed by you and what happened to him on camera) so why make fun of the guy? I meant more like the holy crap i am bleeding and just got shot I can't believe this is happening to me shock. ( I guess more of the I got in a accident and so overwhelmed with the situation some people simply pass out. hell my buddy passed out at his wedding. I remember when I was a kid a buddy sliced the tip of his pinkie off and freaked out running around then finally sitting down thinking he is gonna die. . Not I just got my arm blown off and I am bleeding to death shock.

So I'm not really making fun of him as I was amused that he is like the typical guys I've encountered out in the field. Big strong guys and bragging how tough they are. I swear if I had $100 for every guy who told me how tough he was and then proceeded to pass out when I inserted an IV into them I would be rich!

He reminded me of such encounters and I was surprised they actually aired the event on TV. Usually you get the before, and then the after. I give them kudos for showing the whole deal, where you can tell he is about to go and then BAM he is out.

Do I feel bad he blew his own frikken thumb almost off? Yes! But I think it was a valuable lesson also. It reminds you to not be stupid when dealing with firearms. Which I'm glad he did before he actually ever got to a SHTF scenario. Just think what would of happened then? NO helicopter to come airlift you out, no ready IV pain medications, and basically your only option would be to continue amputating the rest of the digit and making sure you have a good amount of skin left to make a stump (which might include cutting some of the bone back) WITHOUT anesthesia.

I know a lot of folks think the show might put those of us who prep in a bad light, but I hope that particular part of the show helped some newer folks to realize that firearms are no laughing matter and accidents can happen at any time.

goodlookin1
02-16-2012, 8:22 AM
From the clip I just watched, that was staged. Been an Emt/Paramedic for 15 years! Isolated extremity injuries do not cause enough blood loss for a loss of consciousness. I have seen a guy rip the inside of his elbow open and lacerate his brachial artery. Spurting, pumping blood and he stayed conscious the whole time. I call Bravo Sierra! :facepalm:

Some people can see blood coming from somebody else and faint!

This was not staged...this was a true idiot caught on camera!

bruss01
02-16-2012, 4:08 PM
The interesting thing is that the medic from the TV crew had to step in and save him. If not for that guy, who knows what might have happened. Through his negligent preparations for hypothetical dangers, he managed to create a real danger that hadn't existed before and could have killed himself.

That's a great point and here's one more...

If he had been alone out there with his boys, and done the exact same thing... who would have driven them to the hospital? Odds are 10-1 they weren't within cell range of a tower. Is the older boy a driver? I was driving (under a learner's permit with an adult in the car) when I was 14 but there's a tendency to coddle people these days where they're not getting licensed until they're 18 or 20.

He was certainly in no shape to be driving himself anywhere like that, especially with his boys in the car.

Desert_Rat
02-16-2012, 9:50 PM
That guy is a *****. A guy shot himself in the leg at an IDPA match with a 165 gr hollow point. When I arrived to help with the first aid about 30 seconds after the shot, he was on his cell phone calling his boss to say that he might be late for work. This dude had two holes in his upper thigh. The prepper dude is a *****, my IDPA guy is the guardian of all things manly.And the IDPA guy was at the next months match kicking *** and taking names.

Synergy
02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Some people can see blood coming from somebody else and faint!

This was not staged...this was a true idiot caught on camera!

Keep on believing what you want. I base my assessment on medical facts. :43:

immaculate
02-17-2012, 2:44 AM
I watched the episode being mentioned here and was completely shocked when the guy shot himself in the thumb. I had the show on in the background and was doing something else and had to pause and rewind to watch what happened. I won't pass judgement or play armchair quarterback here because I know that being on camera seems to make people do strange things, but I did get some slight amusement from one of the guy's kids calling him out after the fact by re-iterating one of the gun-handling rules - never cover something with the business end that you do not intend to destroy. Must've been traumatic for his kids :facepalm:

Falstaff
02-17-2012, 11:33 AM

That's the plan... Our gov is totally schizophrenic- Homeland Stupidity is saying that people who "hoard" food, store ammo, pay cash, etc are terrorists; FEMA on the other hand is regularly running ads (tv and print) telling us to prepare for emergency, have food and supplies on hand, have a plan etc etc
So which is it?

aermotor
02-17-2012, 1:51 PM
That guy is a *****. A guy shot himself in the leg at an IDPA match with a 165 gr hollow point. When I arrived to help with the first aid about 30 seconds after the shot, he was on his cell phone calling his boss to say that he might be late for work. This dude had two holes in his upper thigh. The prepper dude is a *****, my IDPA guy is the guardian of all things manly.And the IDPA guy was at the next months match kicking *** and taking names.

The fact that he shot himself takes away from any praise and so called "guardian of all things manly" that might have been bestowed upon him. And really, within 30 seconds he's calling his boss? I highly doubt that.

sm510husky
02-18-2012, 9:04 PM
But he did make a cool weapon that does many things. I thought that tool that looks like a shovel was cool. I want one.

me too. i spent 2 hours searching for a place to buy one. he said hes got a patent and thats how he makes his money.

Desert_Rat
02-21-2012, 6:55 PM
The fact that he shot himself takes away from any praise and so called "guardian of all things manly" that might have been bestowed upon him. And really, within 30 seconds he's calling his boss? I highly doubt that.

OK OK OK I got there in 30 seconds and while we were administering first aid he called his boss. The ambulance was there in 10 minutes. Yes, he's "the guardian of all things manly" That has nothing to do with the fact that he screwed up and blasted himself.

Take it easy on my time line. It's the internet after all...sheesh.:chris:

Dead*Reckoned
02-21-2012, 9:45 PM
Finally, thumbthing worth watching on this show!

helpme
02-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Hmmmm, looks like a classic case of the old "thumb-in-the-gun" malfunction.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4696/gunbarrelfinger.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/gunbarrelfinger.jpg/)

Dead*Reckoned
02-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Hmmmm, looks like a classic case of the old "thumb-in-the-gun" malfunction.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4696/gunbarrelfinger.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/gunbarrelfinger.jpg/)

Quite similar to the head in *** malfunction, I imagine.

Vaporshax
02-22-2012, 3:43 AM
I dug how his teenage son recited rule #2 of firearm safety to him at the dinner with his hand bandaged up. :cool:

Deadbolt
02-22-2012, 3:56 PM
I dug how his teenage son recited rule #2 of firearm safety to him at the dinner with his hand bandaged up. :cool:

the past teenager and future father in me got a hardy laugh at this :rofl:

emtmark
02-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rob454

OK, let me give you a little education on the difference between shock and fainting.

Shock is inadequate tissue perfusion. It means your organs and tissue are not receiving the needed O2 to continue to function. Little known fact (yes I'm going into medical trivia) The most common question that is answered wrong is, what does everyone die from? Most answer cardiac arrest which is wrong. Every one dies of inadequate tissue perfusion, no matter how you die!

Now for our little guy last night who FAINTED, he had a vasovagal response. Which is caused by the vagus nerve, most common symptoms before a vagal response is feeling lightheaded, turning pale and then passing out. It has a very quick recovery time, because as soon as the person passes out the stimulus to the vagus nerve ends and all returns to normal. (little more trivia, people can have a vagal response from vomiting, straining while using the restroom, and there is a medical procedure that is used to incite a vagal response to stop a fast heart rhythm, and the most common is the sudden traumatic event that cause people to hold their breath and strain at the same time due to pain like our guy lastnight!).

Trust me if the guy has been in shock we would not have seen him coming back around on TV without some major fluid infusing, not to mention he did not loose enough blood from that wound to cause shock.

Not spouting this from wiki, but from years and years of experience as a Paramedic, Paramedic instructor, and preceptor for Paramedic students.

Not as a sticking point, but as a question I defended in my internship, fainting is a form of shock.
http://www.ecsinstitute.org/FirstAidNet/showterm.cfm?term=psychogenic%20shock. By whatever mechanism blood is no longer perusing tissue. In this case that is cerebral tissue. Don't doubt the bona fides and credentials one bit but had to giggle when I read it. Flashed me right back to the conversation all interns dread which starts with "What you thinking there intern?". But I digress. Without violating hippa

emtmark
02-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Lol perusing, dang spell check, perfusing!

emtmark
02-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Thread jack over/
Do feel bad for the guy though, looked like a job for RK Davies it was hamburger anybody get the caliber?

TNP'R
02-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Reason why I never rock one in the chamber, keep a loaded mag in my firearms but never one in the chamber. If I have to use it it'll only take a split second to rack it so.

emtmark
02-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Ahhhhhh lol :) just read synergy's post about the ole arm drop! The corneal reflex, sternal rub, sigh the many dirty dirty tricks to unravel the tomfoolery of the faker :) good times good times

aermotor
02-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Reason why I never rock one in the chamber, keep a loaded mag in my firearms but never one in the chamber. If I have to use it it'll only take a split second to rack it so.

I'm not really sure what your comment means. It seems like you almost believe the gun actually misfired and it wasn't his fault for pulling the trigger, or am I misunderstanding?

If you can't carry with one in the chamber, you shouldn't be carrying imo. As long as it's in a good holster and you have trigger finger discipline, you'll be totally fine.