PDA

View Full Version : From Venice to Los Angeles: No Online Ammo

brando
03-30-2007, 6:31 PM
Whoa, so I just moved out of Venice not to far and I'm now considered in Los Angeles. I tried to order some ammo from Midway and low and behold, I get an error on checkout, something like: We can no longer sell to LA County addresses.

Oh man, what changed? Is this that AB-whatever bill?

Matt C
03-30-2007, 6:35 PM
Well, no, otherwise it would be a statewide issue. You COULD just order it to a misspelled city and put the right zip... Also I know it's not a county issue, maybe city?

brando
03-30-2007, 6:39 PM
I just had it shipped to my work address here in Venice. Strange. I'll see if I can get the exact verbage....

brando
03-30-2007, 6:42 PM
Okay weird, I can't reproduce it....nevermind.

1911su16b870
03-30-2007, 7:22 PM
I work and live in LA county. No mailed ammo to the LA work address, but ok to the home address. Go figure...

thomasanelson
03-30-2007, 8:07 PM
Funny, Venice is in the city of Los Angeles, but many online retailers are unaware of the "neighborhoods" in the City of LA.

EMT007
03-30-2007, 8:19 PM
On most sites, Orange County is also listed as a location that ammo cannot be shipped to. I e-mailed the OCSD and asked them about it since I couldn't find any ordinances prohibiting ammo to be shipped to a residential address in Orange County. They replied that they didn't know of any such restriction.

Does anyone have any insight into this craziness?

mblat
03-30-2007, 8:31 PM
I work and live in LA county. No mailed ammo to the LA work address, but ok to the home address. Go figure...

Same here. The funniest part is that my house is in vey liberal area and work in one of the more concervative.... but still....

rorschach
03-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Funny, Venice is in the city of Los Angeles, but many online retailers are unaware of the "neighborhoods" in the City of LA.

I was thinking the same thing, how about trying Boyle Heights, Van Nuys, Central City, Highland Park, San Pedro, Watts, Lincoln Heights, etc etc whatever neighborhood your in?? Might work.

When I lived in ELA, I used to order stuff and have it shipped to "City Terrace" or "Belvedere" (outdated names for parts of East L.A.) when sellers wouldnt ship to L.A.

radioactivelego
03-30-2007, 11:11 PM
I was thinking about getting a signed letter from the LAPD and OCSD on this very issue and sending it to Midway, SG, and aimsurplus. Just because they are a little afraid of the law, doesn't mean we should miss out on the majority of good deals for ammunition.

Matt C
03-30-2007, 11:11 PM
When I lived in ELA, I used to order stuff and have it shipped to "City Terrace" or "Belvedere" (outdated names for parts of East L.A.) when sellers wouldnt ship to L.A.

You lived in City Terrace? Interesting area...;)

DesertShooter
03-31-2007, 4:37 AM
Yep, Venice IS in the City of Los Angeles! The on-line purchase/mail order purchase of ammo is restricted in the CITY of, but not the entire COUNTY of Los Angeles. Funny thing, but if you lived in Culver City, which is surrounded by the City of Los Angeles, you'd still be able to get ammo shipped to your home!

"Sportsman's Guide" has a PROBLEM, too! They won't ship any night vision equipment to California, for their legal unit supposedly thinks that it's been declared as being "eavesdropping equipment" in the state! I ordered a "Weaver" digital N/V device from S/G, and they sent me a refund. I called them, and they said that N/V equipment was "banned" in California! Funny thing, for Turner's was selling the same "Weaver" N/V device....and at the same price as S/G....but it was cheaper, since I didn't have to pay shipping charges!

If you look at the S/G mail order catalog, they have a full page of "restrictions"! I wonder how many of them are because their legal unit "thinks" instead of "researches" them?

I also recall someone posting that there was a company (Cheaper than dirt?) who wouldn't ship anything to California if the product had the word "Tactical" attached to it!

oaklander
03-31-2007, 10:17 AM
SG won't ship ammo to Oakland. No problems with AIM, Ammoman, Cabelas, J&G.

thedrickel
03-31-2007, 10:33 AM
I have trouble because people don't know that SOUTH San Fran has nothing to do with the city and county of SF, which 99% of ammo dealers won't ship to. After I explain that SSF is in another county, most come around. Not ammoman tho :mad:

singleshotman
03-31-2007, 10:37 AM
i once tried to order a 577/450 martini-henry rifle(pre 1898) from Sportsman's guide and they refused to ship to me, said it was againest the law to ship Antiques to CA. I called the DOJ and they laughed, said SG were idiots.

ElCUBANO
03-31-2007, 1:42 PM
SG will ship me ammo in hayward but will not sell me a sight ajustment tool for my OLL whats with that.

Mute
03-31-2007, 1:51 PM
I pretty certain the restriction is for L.A. city. I'm in Diamond Bar (L.A. County) and have no problem ordering ammo. As for O.C., there's an Orange County in the east coast (can't remember which state) that has some kind of ammo sales restriction and these retailers are confusing that O.C with our O.C.

rorschach
03-31-2007, 3:04 PM
You lived in City Terrace? Interesting area...;)

Why, yes. Yes it is.

I lived with my dad up there in the Alps when I was going to high school. After my parents remarried, I moved back to that hardcore gangster barrio known as Downey.

SkyStorm82
03-31-2007, 3:48 PM
I was thinking about getting a signed letter from the LAPD and OCSD on this very issue and sending it to Midway, SG, and aimsurplus. Just because they are a little afraid of the law, doesn't mean we should miss out on the majority of good deals for ammunition.

If you do...try to get ahold of the weapons training guys. They're more likely to be gun nuts and would know more about all of this. Send it to some brass's secetary and it'll go NOWHERE.

All the guys in my weapons training unit are huge 2 amendment supporters.

SkyStorm82
03-31-2007, 3:51 PM
i once tried to order a 577/450 martini-henry rifle(pre 1898) from Sportsman's guide and they refused to ship to me, said it was againest the law to ship Antiques to CA. I called the DOJ and they laughed, said SG were idiots.

Should have told them that they're the reason all these companies are paranoid and just give up on us...rather than actually learn our stupid laws to make more money.

dfletcher
03-31-2007, 9:15 PM
"Sportsman's Guide" has a PROBLEM, too! They won't ship any night vision equipment to California, for their legal unit supposedly thinks that it's been declared as being "eavesdropping equipment" in the state! If you look at the S/G mail order catalog, they have a full page of "restrictions"! I wonder how many of them are because their legal unit "thinks" instead of "researches" them?

I have the same Midway problem with ammo except they won't even ship empty brass or bullets for reloading to my San Fran residence. I don't have that problem with Grafs or MidSouth or anyone else. What's worse with Midway is that even if you try to ship to another address (I have a friend in South San Fran) I can't do that on line because their computer defaults to my primary address - what a pain!

Regarding Sportmans, they won't ship a wooden FAL stock to CA. Now really, is there anyway to justify not sending a darned piece of WOOD into CA? What possible state law can there be regarding that item?

KDOFisch
03-31-2007, 11:00 PM
SG won't ship anything that has the word AR in it to CA. I once tried to buy a Harris bipod and they said it was a restricted item due to my state's AWB. Same thing for a good deal at the time on freefloat kits. I told them that it really wasn't restricted at all and that I could go to at least 10 gun stores in the area that carried them, or could order them.

"Sir, it's just coming up in my computer as 'restricted'- I couldn't even send it to you if I wanted to."

Idiots. Oh and yeah, good luck sending ammo to 'Los Angeles'. But I've sent mine to my office before in Santa Monica. Somehow this thriving, upscale beach community has a big banner lining its borders saying 'Ammo OK here!'.

I really would love to get a CLEO signature regarding ammo sales to CA. How would I go about that effectively? Someone mentioned an LEO Firearms Instructor? Shouldn't I just get a DOJ letter? While I'm at it, has anyone ever noticed that CTD won't even sell frigging Airsoft guns to CA, yet I can buy one at any of the few airsoft stores in SoCal? Or I can via internet buy one from Hong Kong without incident? CTD's airsoft guns are $50 craptastic guns anyways, but still! Who runs the shipping dept there?? Of all the BS hassles! All I wanna do is save a little cash! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mr. Beretta
04-01-2007, 1:40 PM
You know the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these firearm related companies stop selling all together to any California address! They're probably getting fed up with all the &%#*#!@ laws. Can't say, I blame them. JMHO

brando
04-01-2007, 2:00 PM
Well, keep in mind, we're the most populous state in the union. Even with poorly written gun laws, we're a pretty big market.

Draven
04-01-2007, 6:15 PM
Does OC have the same signature/ID requirements for ammo purchases as the city of Los Angeles?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-01-2007, 7:01 PM
Some forum members here and at other gun boards have gotten answers from a couple of these companies about why they restrict sales to certain cities or counties even though there are no laws about shipping ammo/knives/etc.

It seems that some of the restrictions are based on agreements that the companies "voluntarily" make with the local DA in order to avoid prosecution or civil suit after somebody misuses one of the companies products.

Also, some companies have gotten wrong answers about the law from local authorities when they called to get clarification about some of the confusing local ordinances. (Haven't we all?)

So to be fair to Sportsman's Guide...

...no, I'm sorry, Sportsman's Guide are just a bunch of r-tards.

heyjak
05-09-2007, 6:41 PM
:mad:
I'm so mad it's taken me two days to calm down enough to write this. I recently got the "restricted" notice on an item I ordered from SG. Ironically, their illiterately written email said "restricted to" my zip code not "restricted from". Irony number 2: My "ship to" zip is 95652 former McClellan AFB. Anyway, I called and was told the following: 1. Gary Olen, whose picture always appears in the catalogs implying he's the "owner", SOLD the company about 8 years ago. 2. The company is owned by a group of FRENCH businessmen. 3. "They" have recently decided not to sell ANY ammunition or gun PART or any items that might be perceived as "politically incorrect" for the liberal politicians in Ca. 4. The reasoning behind this is that they have supposedly been inundated with (frivolous) harassment type lawsuits and it's easier to just restrict sales to Ca than hire defense attorneys. They sent me a $5.00 no-limit coupon for my inconvenience! :mad: Needless to say, I told them to cancel my entire order and cancel and refund my membership renewal. If I can calm down enough in the next few days I WILL be writing letters to Governor S. (who claims to promote business in CA), AG Brown about frivolous lawsuits, Mr. Olen (I was told he does read mail), and the Board of Directors (French) of SG and Co. Does this SUCK? or what?:mad:

Tzvia
05-10-2007, 9:35 AM
I don't patronize SG over some crap they pulled on me. After ordering 2 cases of .223 on sale, they first said they were out and put it on backorder, then sent me an email that the order was cancelled, no backorder. BUT the ammo was still up as available on the site, with a slightly different 'stock number' at a higher price within a day of my order. ("That's DIFFERENT ammo.") But frankly, how many 55gr FED EAGLE 20/box are there? They just did not want to honor their price. So I shop ammo from OutdoorMarksman without a problem. Got a deal that was within pennies a box, for the Remington that groups better in most my AR's anyway. F SG.

While I live in LA county, I don't live in the CITY of LA, and have had no problem getting ammo and 'AR' items from Midway (mostly stuff like spring kits and buffer tubes.) However, I rarely buy anything but reloading stuff from them and was unaware of their AR stance. My money is going elsewhere in the future. And I would encourage all to patronize companies that DO ship. If they are in CA, like 10%, JP and CS Gunworks, so much the better.

Draven
05-10-2007, 1:59 PM
Midway has an 'AR stance'? Funny, they shipped me a LPK, stock, armorer's wrench, etc...

Maybe they changed it. Probably after threatened with a lawsuit by the DoJ.

brando
05-10-2007, 2:06 PM
Actually, to add something to this necropost, I learned just the other day that when you add the four digit extra part of your zip code in LA county, you get a more refined area. The good news is that the refined area often isn't "Los Angeles."

BrianK_73
05-10-2007, 7:24 PM
Actually, to add something to this necropost, I learned just the other day that when you add the four digit extra part of your zip code in LA county, you get a more refined area. The good news is that the refined area often isn't "Los Angeles."

I'm glad it worked out but I'm not crazy about you libs having ammo ;)

Creeping Incrementalism
05-10-2007, 9:25 PM
I pretty certain the restriction is for L.A. city. I'm in Diamond Bar (L.A. County) and have no problem ordering ammo. As for O.C., there's an Orange County in the east coast (can't remember which state) that has some kind of ammo sales restriction and these retailers are confusing that O.C with our O.C.

There is an Orange County in Florida. Orlando is in it. I think I've heard about this confusion elsewhere on the 'net, but it seems odd since Florida is quite pro-gun.

sargenv
05-11-2007, 6:46 AM
Also don't forget about Orange county in New York, famous place of OCC or Orange County Choppers.. of.. American Chopper fame.. :)

Vince

five.five-six
12-16-2009, 5:33 PM
just because I hate cats

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3641/necropostkitten.jpg

Creeping Incrementalism
12-16-2009, 6:49 PM
just because I hate cats

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3641/necropostkitten.jpg

Huh?

Did the original necro-post get deleted?

five.five-six
12-17-2009, 12:48 AM
I think so cause there was one from early 2008

Bill Carson
12-17-2009, 1:04 AM
I know that the city of Los Angeles has it's own ammunition laws, like the 50.cal one (eventhough no one in the history of Los Angeles has ever been killed by a .50 round) but they also have a no ammunition sales in december law and maybe that affects on-line purchases also.

Tanner68
12-17-2009, 6:47 AM
I know that the city of Los Angeles has it's own ammunition laws, like the 50.cal one (eventhough no one in the history of Los Angeles has ever been killed by a .50 round) but they also have a no ammunition sales in december law and maybe that affects on-line purchases also.

That's right, no LA City ammo sales the week proceeding 4th of July and New Years. (That's 4% of the year that ammo dealers would get screwed. Which is basically Big 5, as the rest are kaput 'cause of this crap.) I guess Midway and others are afraid to run afoul of laws like this. I wish they would stand up for us.

nick
12-17-2009, 7:15 AM
Santa Monica now also has requirements for ID/signature, which means no mail order ammo. It seems they pushed the ordinance through pretty quietly (and most people don't pay attention at what goes on on a city level, anyway).

I'm still wondering what problem they're trying to solve with this idiocy.

cineski
12-17-2009, 7:42 AM
Venice is not in the City of LA, otherwise the address would end in LA, 90291. I think it's a township. It's akin to Mar Vista, which is a district, but the mailing address is still Los Angeles, but everyone still says Mar Vista. The City of LA has the restrictions, not LA county.

Bill Carson
12-21-2009, 8:35 AM
Actually there is no ammo sales in the entire month of december and the wal-mart in los angeles never sells ammo.

RRangel
12-21-2009, 8:44 AM
Yep, Venice IS in the City of Los Angeles! The on-line purchase/mail order purchase of ammo is restricted in the CITY of, but not the entire COUNTY of Los Angeles. Funny thing, but if you lived in Culver City, which is surrounded by the City of Los Angeles, you'd still be able to get ammo shipped to your home!

"Sportsman's Guide" has a PROBLEM, too! They won't ship any night vision equipment to California, for their legal unit supposedly thinks that it's been declared as being "eavesdropping equipment" in the state! I ordered a "Weaver" digital N/V device from S/G, and they sent me a refund. I called them, and they said that N/V equipment was "banned" in California! Funny thing, for Turner's was selling the same "Weaver" N/V device....and at the same price as S/G....but it was cheaper, since I didn't have to pay shipping charges!

If you look at the S/G mail order catalog, they have a full page of "restrictions"! I wonder how many of them are because their legal unit "thinks" instead of "researches" them?

I also recall someone posting that there was a company (Cheaper than dirt?) who wouldn't ship anything to California if the product had the word "Tactical" attached to it!

I very much doubt that the cities in question actually restrict online ammunition. This is more the policy of the seller than it is the city. Although I'm sure some of the less than pro gun politicians don't mind the FUD.

CMonfort
12-21-2009, 1:12 PM
Some forum members here and at other gun boards have gotten answers from a couple of these companies about why they restrict sales to certain cities or counties even though there are no laws about shipping ammo/knives/etc.

It seems that some of the restrictions are based on agreements that the companies "voluntarily" make with the local DA in order to avoid prosecution or civil suit after somebody misuses one of the companies products.

Also, some companies have gotten wrong answers about the law from local authorities when they called to get clarification about some of the confusing local ordinances. (Haven't we all?)

So to be fair to Sportsman's Guide...

...no, I'm sorry, Sportsman's Guide are just a bunch of r-tards.

Where did you get this information from? This doesn't seem to make much sense. DA's can't waive an individual's right to sue civilly - and in the great majority of cases these companies would be immune from criminal liability for another's misuse of their products. If true, it seems like an unnecessary sacrifice is being made by these companies. Can you please forward me anything you have on this? Thank you very much.

It seems more likely that out of state shippers fear prosecution for violating local ammunition registration ordinances (in fear that the local ordinance could be used against out of state sellers). For jurisidictions that do not have these ordinances, however, something else must be behind it.

383green
12-21-2009, 1:18 PM
I get the feeling that companies like Sportsman's Guide don't really understand CA law that well. Flipping through the latest sale catalog that they mailed me, I found loose .50BMG that they would not ship to CA, but I don't think it was a type that would be restricted by law. On the other hand, I found linked .308 in non-disintegrating metal belts that they would ship to most of CA, even though it would violate our high-cap magazine restrictions. They also listed MG42 metal belts with no stated shipping restrictions at all. Sometimes they're excessively paranoid, and other times they'll ship things that would violate CA state laws.

putput
12-21-2009, 1:43 PM
My most recent issue of Cheaperthandirt states no ammo sales to California starting in 2011. Not pistol ammo mind you. Ammo...

bodger
12-21-2009, 3:37 PM
My most recent issue of Cheaperthandirt states no ammo sales to California starting in 2011. Not pistol ammo mind you. Ammo...

I knew that would happen.
Out of state vendors would get a whiff of AB962 and make it their policy to stop shipping any ammo to CA.

Even if AB962 isn't overturned by 2011, CheaperThanDirt could still sell rifle and shotgun ammo, as we all know.

I hope they will change their tune when presented with proof that AB962 didn't stick (if that does happen) and it's business as usual.

I just received 1000 rounds of .40 S&W from Cabela's, but Midway won't ship ammo to me because I'm in Los Angeles city limits.

And yeah, the DA's must love this FUD. Just like the DOJ probably loves the GunBroker dealers that won't ship anything to CA.