PDA

View Full Version : How Important is the Eye?

capturedlive
02-15-2012, 7:08 AM
I am a solid lefty-- my right hand is next-to-useless. That said, my right eye is my strong eye. My left eye is OK, but the right is definitely dominant, and when I pick up a rifle I have a tendency to press it against my right shoulder to use that eye.

I recently bought a left-handed bolt-action rifle, which I love but have yet to shoot. To operate the bolt I'm going to have to use my left hand, which means I'll need to use the left side. So... am I destined to be a sub-par shooter with this gun, or is there still the possibility of mastering it with practice?

Thanks ahead of time.

Yemff
02-15-2012, 7:21 AM
seems to me if your left handed and left eye dominant then shooting lefty should be perfect for you, it will feel weird at first but it wont take long to get used to it.

paul0660
02-15-2012, 7:29 AM
seems to me if your left handed and left eye dominant then shooting lefty should be perfect for you, it will feel weird at first but it wont take long to get used to it.

He is lefty righty not lefty lefty.

OP, it will be tough. If the gun is worth enough you can get a custom stock made that will allow your head to rest with your right eye sighted. That would be a very special stock.

I think you can retrain your eye, but it is iffy.

bob7122
02-15-2012, 7:31 AM
i think you are cross dominant or something like that. you can be a great shooter with it; all you'll need is practice.

i write with my left, shoot with my right, and use my left eye only to shoot pistols-i use my right eye for my rifles.

Sicarius
02-15-2012, 7:46 AM
I am a righty and left eye dominant. For pistols I have a righty stance but cock my head to use my left eye. For me that just feels natural. For rifles I use a righty stance and right eye. My right eye is also nearsighted but my left is fine to boot... I just use what is natural for me because I will default to that in a situation. You can absolutely train to use either side and being able to shoot ambi is definately ideal. It will just take practice. Something I need to work on.
Kevin

NorCalK9.com
02-15-2012, 7:54 AM
I have the same problem but opposite, im right handed and left eye dominate! In the last couple months ive been swithing back and forth with my AK's shooting left handed so I can hopefully get use to it, but its HARD lol good luck bud

23's Dad
02-15-2012, 9:04 AM
I've got a slight cross dominance issue too. I just use a blinder or tape on the inside of the shooting glasses on my dominant eye. Don't squint or close the dominant eye, just let it relax.

The more I use my less-dominant eye, the easier it is for me to maintain focus with it. If I'm dry-firing regularly, I can start to skip the blinder, and maintain focus with my less-dominant eye. At the range, I'll get my sight alignment/picture, and momentarily close the dominant eye to ensure the shooting eye has the proper alignment. Then press...

russ69
02-15-2012, 10:02 AM
You want to shoot on your dominate eye side if at all possible. If that is not possible, then scotch tape on your glasses of your non-shooting eye is all you can do.

Drivedabizness
02-15-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm lefty/righty too - found out after my competitive career was over.

To the OP - if you want to sight/shoot your new rifle "normally" you're gonna have to learn to use your non-shooting (right) arm/hand to be a good support.

BucDan
02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm the same with bob7122. Shooting rifles and shotguns right handed with my right eye feels right, while shooting a handgun left handed with my left eye feels right, but I am a natural lefty lefty for sports and writing.

Turo
02-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Cross-dominance is fairly common, and is typically not a big issue.

I have to say that switching dominance in your eye is much easier than with your hands/feet. If you're left handed, I would say shoot everything left handed and use your left eye for rifles, and right for pistols.

You can check out some of Hickok45's videos on YouTube, as he's got the same problem as you, just mirrored (he's right handed and left eye dominant.)

capturedlive
02-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm with BucDan and bob7122. That's what feels right to me. But I appreciate Sicarius, NorCalK9 and 23's Dad's encouragement and will just keep dry-firing on my left side 'til it feels comfortable/natural. Also 23's Dad and russ69's idea of blocking the right eye, I'll try that, too. I'm not anxious to modify the gun to my tendencies if I can help it.

capturedlive
02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
If you're left handed, I would say shoot everything left handed and use your left eye for rifles, and right for pistols.

Interesting, I had to think for a minute what eye I used with the handgun. I believe that's how I do it.

Yemff
02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
He is lefty righty not lefty lefty.

OP, it will be tough. If the gun is worth enough you can get a custom stock made that will allow your head to rest with your right eye sighted. That would be a very special stock.

I think you can retrain your eye, but it is iffy.

ah i see i read it backwards. Well if your left handed but right eyed then you should probably learn to shoot right handed, I am the same as you but opposite. I couldn't hit squat until I found out I was left eye dominant, so I learned to shoot left handed, it didnt take long to get used to it. However I have heard of eye dominance changing, say if you put a patch over your dominant eye, I don't know if there is any truth to it though.

Sicarius
02-15-2012, 1:26 PM
I also find with carbines, I use a red dot and shoot right handed. I can focus pretty easily with my lame eye and right handed stance. I am also able to keep both eyes open. A red dot for me helps a lot. When I shoot my rifles with irons... I do have to close my dominant(left) eye while shooting right handed and after a while my right eye will get fatigued...
Kevin

ThemBastards
02-15-2012, 1:29 PM
Im right hand/left eye and it affects me more with pistol shooting than rifle...

therealnickb
02-15-2012, 2:04 PM
Interesting, I had to think for a minute what eye I used with the handgun. I believe that's how I do it.

I'm cross dominant the other way, but have been shooting with the "wrong" eye since I was a kid. It's never ever been an issue with a rifle. But I have to really pay attention with fast moving targets using a shotgun or handgun. Mostly the handgun.

Still targets don't matter at all to me.

peter95
02-15-2012, 2:17 PM
Like they say... Practice makes perfect... You can do it, just keep at it!