PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster NM 20" Upper

Bobby Ricigliano
02-15-2012, 4:18 AM
I added a Bushmaster NM 20" upper to a Stag featureless lower to complete my A4 'retro' build.

However I underestimated how ridiculously heavy the upper is and now the rifle's weight negates its use to me as a defensive rifle.

I'd appreciate any input on my idea of making this a 'bench' gun by adding a bipod. I'm also going to take off the carry handle and replace it with a decent scope.

Questions:

Will the NM upper produce good groupings out to say 300 yards or so?

What is a good quality and reasonably priced scope/rings ($300 or below) for an AR?

Does the scope have to sit really high to not conflict with the front sight post?

Is there anything about a regular Stag 1 lower that would affect the accuracy potential of the NM upper?

Thanks in advance for any input,
Bobby

russ69
02-15-2012, 4:39 AM
Will the NM upper produce good groupings out to say 300 yards or so?All the way to 600 and beyond, with the right load.

What is a good quality and reasonably priced scope/rings ($300 or below) for an AR?
Try a Leupold AR scope.

Does the scope have to sit really high to not conflict with the front sight post? No, it has to be mounted forward and high to get the eye relief correct.

Is there anything about a regular Stag 1 lower that would affect the accuracy potential of the NM upper?

No.

Bobby Ricigliano
02-15-2012, 5:32 AM
Thanks Russ, I appreciate it.

ocabj
02-15-2012, 5:49 AM
Not sure why the weight should be an issue. The heavy barrel and free float tube only adds an extra pound or so over a standard 20" barrel and non-float handguards. Unless for some reason your upper had a 3lb lead forearm weight preinstalled it shouldn't be heavy.