PDA

View Full Version : Firearm transport quick question

ChopperX
02-15-2012, 1:06 AM
I know this probably has been answered before but I just want to make sure. I am going on a trip to the desert and I want to follow all laws. I will be having Handguns, Rifles & Shotguns in the car and I know that handguns must be in a locked container and rifles do not have to.

Now the question I have is I am bringing a decent amount of ammo. Can I put the ammo and the guns in my range bag together? Each handgun will be locked in its own pistol rug and the ammo just sitting in bag on the bottom. Or should I just use my .50 cal ammo can? Trying to minimize as much baggage as possible.

johnthomas
02-15-2012, 1:20 AM
Will they be in the trunk? Handguns must be in a locked container, even a zippered bag with a lock is a locked container, the ammo and guns can be in the same bag, guns cannot be loaded. If you are transporting rifles, I would lock the ammo up just to be safe.

• The transportation or carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being
concealed upon the person by any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years
who resides or is temporarily within this state, and is not within the excepted classes
prescribed by Penal Code Sections 12021 or 12021.1 or Welfare and Institutions Code sections
8100 or 8103, provided that the following applies:
- the firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container
in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment, and;
- when the firearm is carried by the person to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, the
firearm must be contained in a locked container while being physically carried. (Penal Code
12026.1.)

(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.

ChopperX
02-15-2012, 1:32 AM
It is an SUV and they will all be stored in the very back.

Dirtbikindad393
02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Will they be in the trunk? Handguns must be in a locked container, even a zippered bag with a lock is a locked container, the ammo and guns can be in the same bag, guns cannot be loaded. If you are transporting rifles, I would lock the ammo up just to be safe.

The transportation or carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being
concealed upon the person by any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years
who resides or is temporarily within this state, and is not within the excepted classes
prescribed by Penal Code Sections 12021 or 12021.1 or Welfare and Institutions Code sections
8100 or 8103, provided that the following applies:
- the firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container
in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment, and;
- when the firearm is carried by the person to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, the
firearm must be contained in a locked container while being physically carried. (Penal Code
12026.1.)

(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.

Good info JT thank you! As a newbie I appreciate the info posted so I don't have to ask 1000's of questions of my friends or dealer I bought my gun from. I ride motorcycles alot and was told I may carry the gun in one of my side bags as long as it is locked and I assume not loaded. I guess it would still be prudent to have a lock on the gun or have it in a case/shooter bag locked also, is that correct?

ChopperX
02-15-2012, 11:40 AM
It is good info. I was just curious for ammo transport. But now I know. Thanks man.

Librarian
02-15-2012, 4:38 PM
Good info JT thank you! As a newbie I appreciate the info posted so I don't have to ask 1000's of questions of my friends or dealer I bought my gun from. I ride motorcycles alot and was told I may carry the gun in one of my side bags as long as it is locked and I assume not loaded. I guess it would still be prudent to have a lock on the gun or have it in a case/shooter bag locked also, is that correct?

Unloaded and in a locked case - lock on the gun has no legal meaning for transport.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting