PDA

View Full Version : 1911 night sights

drifter001
02-14-2012, 10:41 PM
i currently have a SA 1911-A1 in jail and want to get night sights on it. does anyone know a good set i could get for it and an approximate installation cost by a gunsmith or someone who knows how? thanks for your help

NewbieDave
02-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Depending on what you are looking for... any of the top brands are GTG. I've run Trijicon with great results in the past. My combat stuff uses XS BigDot now, also great sights. I'm not familiar with SA...do they use standard Novak dovetail?

If you don't want to do it yourself... you can always get the sights from Novak directly and send them your slide. They will install for a small fee, line them up and send it back to you within couple days.

sholling
02-14-2012, 11:55 PM
I like Trijicon and Meprolight.

MA2
02-15-2012, 12:12 AM
I believe Springfield's are LPA cut and made from Kensight/Champion, not sure.

Range only gun?...considered fiber?
I find that fiber optics works as well indoor and much better at outdoor ranges.

bug_eyedmonster
02-15-2012, 1:36 AM
I think the most important thing to consider is more of what you plan to do with the gun. If this is going to be a defensive gun, night sights are a great option. If this is something that will be more used at a range, then you will need to consider if you shoot more at indoor or outdoor. If you want something that will be dead nuts accurate, I would second guess night sights unless you plan to use it for something listed above as well. I would also encourage you to go and check out other sights in person at a gun store or range that rents guns. You can see the size difference and how lighting affects them as well.

Jerry

jeffrice6
02-15-2012, 2:50 AM
If its a loaded its cut for Novak's..... If its a mil or GI you will have to get the slide cut for whatever you like.

hairtumor
02-15-2012, 7:23 AM
depending on what you want night sites for you may want to consider Crimson Trace grips. I have them on my Dan Wesson and love it.

drifter001
02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Well its just gonna be used for range shooting and I guess home defense too...and it is the mil-spec model as well

BoJackUSMC
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I do not use night sights because I prefer flashlight instead. However, Trijicon and Meprolight makes good night sights.

dls
02-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Springer Precision installed Trijicons sights on my XD along with a bunch of other work, and did the ionbond coating on my 1911.
Here is the work/price sheet
http://www.springerprecision.com/art/forms/1911workorderform.pdf

NiteQwill
02-15-2012, 3:13 PM
A gold bead front and a black, serrated rear sight will work much more effectively in speed and accuracy. To me, night sights are pointless since you don't shoot anything in the dark you can't identify anyway. If it's too dark for a gold bead too collect light, it's too dark to use night sights.

With that said, Springfield doesn't use a traditional Novak cut, you may need to file to fit. You also need to cut the slide on a milspec slide. Trijicons or Heinie are an excellent choice of sights.

c3 rolling
02-15-2012, 4:03 PM
For the front sight Dawson precision offers sights that fit SA's. Any Novak cut rears will fit.

yayo
02-15-2012, 4:06 PM
fiber optics for cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Truglo-Fiber-Optic-Handgun-Sight/dp/B000YGPM26/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329350676&sr=8-2

jeffrice6
02-15-2012, 4:09 PM
it is the mil-spec model as well

Probably have to mill the slide.

the_donald_
02-15-2012, 4:22 PM
Probably have to mill the slide.

This^^^

It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the mil spec. Great price, but the back sight is a deal breaker because there's no Novak cut. I find that the older you are, the more your sights become a factor in shooting, and these small back sights are a no go for aging eyes, I see it all the time with students and range shooters. I run Mepros on my Kimber & standard factory Tritium on my MC Operator.

Good Luck.

guitargeak99
02-15-2012, 4:22 PM
fiber optics for cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Truglo-Fiber-Optic-Handgun-Sight/dp/B000YGPM26/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329350676&sr=8-2

You know I have to 2nd this one.
I have TFO's on my Kimber Ultra Carry, not necessarily for the Nights Sight part of it (that's all the gun shop had in stock), but because of the fiber optics. If they would have had straight Fiber Optics I would have got those.
They really stick out during day light at the range. As far as night sights Trijicon or Meprolight are possibly brighter in the dark, but I sure like the fiber optics when the sun hits them.
I have heard some say that the TFO's are not durable, but I've got a 1000 rds on them and I also carry this gun - with no problems.
BTW - I have Crimson Trace Grips for the HD at night.

negolien
02-16-2012, 6:31 AM
+1 on the Trijicon and if you send your slide only to Novak the don't guarantee accuracy just a btw...

cwin
02-16-2012, 7:29 AM
I have Trijicons on my 1911 and like them Meprolights are also good. A lot of places will install sights for free if you purchase from them.