View Full Version : Rifle Course ~ Frontsight Gun Training

02-14-2012, 8:38 PM
Hello all,
Anyone out there take a 2 or 4 day Rifle training course at Frontsight in Nevada? I was wondering what time of magazine carrier would be best. Either a chest rig or perhaps a single/double rifle mag kydex holster worn on the belt. I took a handgun course there and remember seeing other students in the rifle course wearing single or double 30 round AR mag holders on the belt on their hip. I don't really remember seeing anyone during the lunch break with any type of chest rigs on or plate carriers. Perhaps they took them off before going to chow.

So... I don't want to look like an idiot and all tacticool with a chest rig on when all is really needed is a good belt level mag holder. Please advise. Also any other recommendations on gear to bring to a 4 day rifle course.

Thank you

02-14-2012, 8:53 PM
This is what I run http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle-M4-Chest-Rig-LE-3-Mag-p/eag.563.htm

Some essential equipment to bring off hand is

Another rifle
Cleaning equipment
Hydration carrier
extra magazines
extra ammo
Magazine loader
warm clothes its cold in Nevada right now
Oh yeah an open mind :p

You could run a plate carrier no one will give you crap if they do their just making fun of you because they wish they were that guy :cool2:

02-14-2012, 9:37 PM
used a 2 mag holder on my belt...not a problem to get through the class.

I would add knee/elbow pads for kneeling and prone positions.

I brought 2 uppers with me... one had full length free float quad rails with a 16-inch mid-length gas system....that lasted only for the first day, got heavy. Switched to my back up upper with regular 16-inch barrel and carbine handguards, much lighter and easier to handle for the rest of the class.

02-14-2012, 9:40 PM
The 4 day practical rifle is more about drills than high volume shooting plus there are constant water breaks. 1 in the gun and 2 on your belt will get you through the drills between water breaks but wear whatever you want.

02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
I wear two kydex holders on my belt and a 3rd magazine goes in my cargo pocket.

+1 on the kneepads, huge help. I don't wear elbow pads.

02-15-2012, 3:13 AM
+1 on the kneepads.

I took the 4-day with my M1A and used some MOLLE pouches on my belt with a dump-bag. As always, "train as you would fight". Your comment about not seeing "tacticool" at lunch is correct, several in my class had full rigs but took them off for lunch and left them in the car. Go with what you feel most comfortable with and will use, FS will train you how to "run what you brung".

02-15-2012, 6:36 AM
I would imagine either 1 or 2 mags on The belt would be perfectly fine. BUT, I would also bring like 10-15 mags if you have that many, tht way you spend less time reloading.

02-15-2012, 10:04 AM
I took a 4 day course a few years ago and was fin with just a USGI surplus magazine pouch on my belt. You will never use more than 3 mags and usually you will never empty the mag. Just bring a good hat, warm clothes (layers), water (bottles or camelbak) and some good knee pads.

02-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Wear whatever you plan on fighting in (assuming you're learning rifle skills for fighting instead of "for sport").

"Train like you fight."

02-15-2012, 2:01 PM
Thanks all for the knee pad suggestion. They have it listed on their website under course requirements, but its good to know they really are needed.

Too Slow
02-15-2012, 2:13 PM
this is a minor hijack but you've already gotten good data. How do you handle the BB and the 10 round mag issue?

02-15-2012, 2:17 PM
this is a minor hijack but you've already gotten good data. How do you handle the BB and the 10 round mag issue?

no bb needed when taking the course. and you can use 30rd mags

gun toting monkeyboy
02-15-2012, 2:38 PM
It is in Nevada, so he can un-neuter his rifle. And if he doesn't have the magazines, he can always buy them there. He may not be able to bring them back assembled. But compared to the cost of the course and ammo, they are a minor expense.

02-15-2012, 2:49 PM
Off topic, whats the price for this 4day course?

02-15-2012, 3:00 PM

Revolver Ocelot
02-15-2012, 3:20 PM

WOW! Iam sure you get what you pay for but WOW!

02-15-2012, 3:32 PM
That is list, google Diamond Lifetime Membership. People picked those up at a 1/10 the price.

02-15-2012, 3:48 PM
@revolver im with you on the WOW!

02-15-2012, 4:50 PM

I have attended Front Sight for 3 different handgun courses and will be doing the shotgun course in June. I really enjoy the training but my least favorite thing about the organization is their marketing. The website is horrible. When I tell friends to check it out I warn them that its kinda done in the style of a bad spam email and to look past that and just get the info needed.
Yes, on the site the class is listed as $2,000. I hope nobody in their right mind pays that much for it. I picked up my Lifetime Diamond membership for $250 and can attend any class whenever I want. If you can't find a membership for sale, go on ebay and search "front site certificate". You can get a pass for a 4 day class for around $100, sometimes less. The value of the training far outweighs the cost of the class at those prices.

02-15-2012, 4:57 PM
Now that sounds great! And sounds like tons of fun!
Will they allow you to run any rifle such as an ak74 or is it ar's only?

Obviously a Plant
02-15-2012, 5:06 PM
You can run an AK, a Garand, and AR or a bolt action. The class is called practical rifle, I'm sure if you brought a lever-action (rifle caliber) or a pump you could learn how to run that well....

02-15-2012, 5:58 PM
Will they allow you to run any rifle such as an ak74 or is it ar's only?
Check their spam email styled website for info... :p

02-15-2012, 6:34 PM
Make sure you bring the stock mag release from your parts kit. You may find as I did that bullet buttons don't work so great when set to Nevada mode.

As already mentioned, you can buy a grey class slip on ebay for $100.

Sunscreen, knee pads. Also the box lunches you can order in advance are actually pretty good too.

I did the 4-day course with cargo shorts without any problem. I plan on bringing a Blade-Tech for next time.

Have fun!

02-15-2012, 8:14 PM
I've gone before for the 4 day defensive handgun. I am a diamond member. I think its probably the best $250 I've spent. I think I learned more in that 4 day class in regard to properly shooting my handgun then I did in the last 5 years of range time. Its true that its probably better to think about getting training on how to use those guns you have, before you think about buying that 5th AR. Hahaha...

02-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I took a 4-day rifle class last Oct. I wore a slim chest rig w/hydration pack. It was overkill, and there were a few other students wearing more than I had. Next time a pair of Kydex type holsters on my hip is what I'll be wearing.

02-16-2012, 7:46 AM
Ok Knee Pads seem to be in agreement. What about elbow pads? The website mentions them, but no one here in this thread did. Are they a must like the knee pads?

02-16-2012, 7:45 PM
Wear long sleeves and you'll be OK. You'll probably only go prone at 200yds and that's where you get elbows on ground.

02-16-2012, 8:17 PM
I did not find elbow pads necessary; my knee pads were some gardening pads, they are really nice, soft, olive drab and cheap from home depot.

02-17-2012, 6:10 AM
Check out the first post in this thread "Front Sight Members Check In Here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=518454&highlight=frontsight)" for some helpful Front Sight threads.

02-17-2012, 9:22 AM
wow, $2000.

If you live in the LA area, might want to give this outfit a try

The owner is a real deal been there, done guy, and can actually teach.