PDA

View Full Version : First time AR assembler question

ThemBastards
02-14-2012, 9:29 PM
I opened my LPK and all the parts have a sticky residue on them. Are they supposed to be like that? I assume I clean them before I assemble my lower, what should I use?

mod1217
02-14-2012, 9:39 PM
Its probably just storage grease or some kind of oil that they put to prevent rust. Any good firearm solvent will do or a spray of Rem Oil will clean it right off. I always have a can of Rem Oil at hand when assembling a new rifle. A quick spray then wipe it down to remove excess before installing it makes a world of difference specially moving parts like LPK

gun toting monkeyboy
02-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Its probably just storage grease or some kind of oil that they put to prevent rust. Any good firearm solvent will do or a spray of Rem Oil will clean it right off. I always have a can of Rem Oil at hand when assembling a new rifle. A quick spray then wipe it down to remove excess before installing it makes a world of difference specially moving parts like LPK

^This^

/thread

ThemBastards
02-14-2012, 11:37 PM
^This^

/thread

Haha, I couldn't wait. According to a post on AR15.com says that Spike's recommends building it as it comes with grease and all... So I did, I couldn't wait!!!! I will spray some solvent down there before I put my upper on. Thanks anyways guys... First lower has been assembled :)

peter95
02-15-2012, 1:06 AM
sticky or greasy?

greasy ok, sticky... never seen that problem....

RRichie09
02-15-2012, 1:24 AM
Haha, I couldn't wait. According to a post on AR15.com says that Spike's recommends building it as it comes with grease and all... So I did, I couldn't wait!!!! I will spray some solvent down there before I put my upper on. Thanks anyways guys... First lower has been assembled :)

Wait, why are you spraying solvent into your lower before attaching the upper? Its not as critical but its a good thing that the lower parts are lubed.

russ69
02-15-2012, 4:56 AM
Yeah, the preservative is fine as is but use some assembly lube on all the parts. You also want to grease the push pins and safety lever grooves.

ThemBastards
02-15-2012, 8:33 AM
sticky or greasy?

greasy ok, sticky... never seen that problem....

A bit sticky, kind of looked and smelled like the stuff that SKS' are packed in when they put them in storage.Cosmoline. I guess tacky would be a better word.

Wait, why are you spraying solvent into your lower before attaching the upper? Its not as critical but its a good thing that the lower parts are lubed.

After I assembled it I came back on here and some folks had said to clean it off, I jokingly said I would just spray some solvent down in it to clean it... I got to take it apart anyway to put the stronger hammer spring in when I get it. --- Will not be taking the mag latch out though haha

Yeah, the preservative is fine as is but use some assembly lube on all the parts. You also want to grease the push pins and safety lever grooves.

Didn't grease the push pins, and I don't know what a lever groove is :kest:

Thanks all for the help. It will be good practice taking it down and cleaning it and re-installing anyway.

CHS
02-15-2012, 9:07 AM
I will spray some solvent down there before I put my upper on.

Don't do that. You'll only end up getting rid of the protective film that's preventing rusting and adding a little bit of lubricant to the surfaces.

Just install the LPK, and put a drop of grease on the trigger, hammer, and disconnector sear surfaces. Remember, the hammer has two spots to hit.

Below.Zero
02-15-2012, 9:21 AM
^^^THIS^^^

As far as the grease... not to worry, sound normal.