PDA

View Full Version : AR Piston gas length and buffer

Blownmotor
02-14-2012, 7:47 PM
Does the gas length really matter for piston driven AR's? Also will a typical carbine buffer be ok for piston AR's shooting a mix of 5.56 and .223 ammo? Thanks in advance.

Blownmotor
02-15-2012, 11:13 AM
anybody?

Dhena81
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
I don't know about gas piston length but but the length probably does have something to do with how harsh it recoils.

You could run whatever buffer and spring you want as long as it's the proper buffer and spring for your extension like carbine carbine or rifle rifle. My only piston AR example is my LWRC it has a carbine H2 buffer from the factory and ejects brass exactly where it should.

ch3ck5ix
02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Does the gas length really matter for piston driven AR's?
OP -- I find that the recoil from my Stag Model 8 (carbine length) is a bit stronger than my Addax ZK piston upper (midlength). Not significantly, more like the difference between a shove and a gentle push (note, as point of comparison, the recoil from my Addax ZK is very similar to that of my Daniel Defense M4). Both piston rifles have a carbine buffer. You can run heavier buffers but, from what I understand, it may affect cycling depending on what you shoot out of it.

Also will a typical carbine buffer be ok for piston AR's shooting a mix of 5.56 and .223 ammo?
Yes.

Blownmotor
02-15-2012, 4:16 PM
thank you for the info. I thought you would need to change the buffer weight by going piston.