PDA

View Full Version : Swapping AR15 Pistol Grip - problem

Andric
02-14-2012, 6:23 PM
Hello All,

I had a stock pistol grip for my AR15, today at the gun store the Magpul grip caught my eye. Bought it and headed home.

Removed my old grip, positioned new grip, started threading new screw into hole (as per instructions do not use old screw).

made it about half way down and it just stops. back it out, try again. stops. Try to twist a bit harder goes in but doesn't feel right.

Back it out, check threads on old vs. new they match. Try putting old screw in with new grip won't go in past half way. Try with old grip and old screw, won't go back on at all.

So now I have an AR15 without a grip. The question is did I screw up my lower for good?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

russ69
02-14-2012, 6:29 PM
It's fixable. Chase the tapped hole with a tap. If you don't know how to do that, find someone that does. If the hole is beyond recovering, have a Helicoil put in.

peter95
02-14-2012, 6:34 PM
What happens if you put the screw in the grip all the way through without screwing it to the lower? Check if you are able to do that

If so try screwing in the screw to the lower, see how much you can... If the screw still won't screw deep enough, retap the lower. Most shops should be able to do that... Or buy a kit yourself and learn to do it. Simple as drinking water

dieselpower
02-14-2012, 6:38 PM
It's fixable. Chase the tapped hole with a tap. If you don't know how to do that, find someone that does. If the hole is beyond recovering, have a Helicoil put in.

This. You cross threaded the Lower. STOP. DO NOT KEEP SCREWING IN THE BOLT. You need to have the lower's thread chased with the proper tap, or have it re-tapped/ helicoil installed. This means a Gunsmith must check it out if you don't know what we are talking about.

I'm sorry. It happens. Look at it this way...you got more knowledge on the AR15 now. Pass this along to help out another guy when you can.

6mmintl
02-14-2012, 6:44 PM
If in bay area I can tap it out for you no charge, just got to promise to watch and learn what not to do, and how to fix it.

m35a2
02-14-2012, 7:37 PM
Same here, if you are around L.A, I can fix it for ya.

trob
02-14-2012, 7:48 PM
Same here, if you are around L.A, I can fix it for ya.

If in bay area I can tap it out for you no charge, just got to promise to watch and learn what not to do, and how to fix it.

Good group of guys we have here on CG. Nice of you to offer the guy some help

gun toting monkeyboy
02-14-2012, 9:19 PM
Ummm.. The magpuls come with a much shorter bolt and locktite on the threads. I am not saying that he hasn't crossthreaded it, but might he have also gotten to the locktite on the MP bolt and it felt stiff? And when he put the magpul grip on with the original bolt, might it be too long to get all the way in? Before hitting the panic button, he might consider putting the original grip back on and trying the original bolt. If it goes in, it might just be a simple fix. Look at the magpul grip bolt. If it has a blue paste or wax-like substance on it, take a sharp impliment and scrape most of it off. Now try installing the MP grip with the MP bolt. Just a thought...

-Mb

peter95
02-14-2012, 9:42 PM
Ummm.. The magpuls come with a much shorter bolt and locktite on the threads. I am not saying that he hasn't crossthreaded it, but might he have also gotten to the locktite on the MP bolt and it felt stiff? And when he put the magpul grip on with the original bolt, might it be too long to get all the way in? Before hitting the panic button, he might consider putting the original grip back on and trying the original bolt. If it goes in, it might just be a simple fix. Look at the magpul grip bolt. If it has a blue paste or wax-like substance on it, take a sharp impliment and scrape most of it off. Now try installing the MP grip with the MP bolt. Just a thought...

-Mb

that is exactly my point... he should try to screw it in without the grip first and see how much of it he could get it in and recheck screw.
Anyone could tell you if you crossthread a screw.

the magpul screw indeed is a bit tougher than the regular screw that comes with the LPK

Andric
02-14-2012, 9:56 PM
Thank you all very much for the advice, did try the bolt w/o grip same problem.

m35a2 - Thank you sending a PM, I have computer skills to trade when needed!

AR-Tuma
02-15-2012, 6:49 AM
Magpul CAKES the loctite on. I've had this happen quite a few times when switching out a stock or other grip to an MOE or a MIAD. It may be cross threaded, but if you have a wire wheel on a dremel or a wire brush try removing a little bit of the loctite. I've thought that I crossthreaded the threads many times when it turned out to jst be way to much loctite.

Petro
02-15-2012, 6:54 AM
Ya had the same issue with my magpul screw. It was the loctite. Just used the bolt that came with the lpk and some red loctite. I don't think you crossthreaded at all.

firemanj92
02-15-2012, 6:57 AM
not to beat a dead horse, but did you thread the bolt without the grip to visually check if it gets tight at the loctite line? good luck -J

Sicarius
02-15-2012, 7:55 AM
If the threads are boogered and you still have half of the threads are good, one way you can cheat is to thread the screw from the inside of the receiver to chase the threads. I have used this trick working on cars on non critical areas. What this will hopefully do is correct the threads. Just go slow and use some tapping oil or some sort of lubrication. You really only need a few threads for a solid hold because the pressure is not a pulling one on the grip. You should be able to thread it without much if any pressure to get it started. It will likely start to bind when it gets to the boogered area. I would have to look at my magpul grip but I personally like the alan type head. I feel that I have more bite with the tool. You may want to go to OSH and pick one up, especially if you are going to be putting some pressure on it after it threads in by hand.
Kevin

osis32
02-15-2012, 8:56 AM
I had that problem with the stock screw was about 1/8 gap. Just used a second washer tightened right up. Do check for cross threading. You have great resources here they wil take care of you if you need help.

Mac7504
02-15-2012, 9:44 AM
So what was it, crossthread or loctite?

Sub'd...Getting a MIAD grip soon and don't want to mess my stuff up.

Nathan Krynn
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Normally magpul sends a 1" screw and spec is 3/4". This could be your problem as most lowers are cut to accept 3/4".

Mac7504
02-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Normally magpul sends a 1" screw and spec is 3/4". This could be your problem as most lowers are cut to accept 3/4".

But he also mentioned that his old screw would not go back in either, so dunno...

I'm curious myself.

wikioutdoor
02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
I always reuse the stock screws because it's much easier to tighten down than those flat head ones magpul gives you.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
So what was it, crossthread or loctite?

Sub'd...Getting a MIAD grip soon and don't want to mess my stuff up.

I have installed dozens of magpul pistol grips, and never messed anything up. They sometimes come with a crapload of locktite paste on them. I tend to scrape most of it off before I install them. There is still plenty on there, and it doesn't feel like you are about the shear the bolt off when you tighten it down.

-Mb

Revolver Ocelot
02-15-2012, 3:26 PM
Mine wouldnt thread all the way either until i knocked off most of the caked on locktite. Was the locktite still left on the lower's threads? That may cause the old screw from srewing in as well. Clean both off before you take it anywhere.

slo5oh
02-15-2012, 5:36 PM
Fyi, Don't use helicoil, newer better option is the timesert.

Andric
02-15-2012, 9:37 PM
Update:

First, thanks to m35a2 who offered to take a look and re-thread if needeed.

Thanks to all of you this was not needed. Locktite was the issue, it was so thick the threads it actually was overflowing from the threads. I screwed down the bolt into the hole without the grip on the gun. Then attached the grip and it worked great all fixed.

Thanks all for the help.

Sicarius
02-16-2012, 8:46 AM
Glad it was a simple fix. Now enjoy the Magpul. Great choice in grip.
Kevin