View Full Version : C&R FTF transfer questions

02-14-2012, 6:03 PM
OK so I have a couple questions that probably have very simple answers, but I can't find a clear source on them. As follows:

1. I purchase a C&R long gun from a dealer. DROS and 10 day. Can I now turn around and sell the gun to another person face to face, or does it need to be PPT'd to them since it was DROS'd to me?

2. I have a C&R long gun with an aftermarket (non-original) stock that is, itself, still older than 50 years. Does the gun still count as C&R, thus allowing a face to face sale?

Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance! happy VDay. :)

02-14-2012, 6:13 PM
1. yes
2. im not sure of i think its no ,but only 90% sure someone will chime in and correct me

02-14-2012, 6:16 PM
Cool thanks! Anyone have input on the second question?

02-14-2012, 6:21 PM
1. Yes
2. Some people see it differently than I do. AFT says that a non original stock wold take a firearm out of FEDERAL C&R stats. However, there is no federal law prohibiting FTF sales of firearms between non FFLs. California allows FTF sales of long gns over 50 years old. Since changing the stock does not affect the age of the firearm, I say that it's still legal to sell it FTF. But, IANAL and my take on this is sbject to change if someone can show me an error in my logic.

02-14-2012, 6:29 PM
1. Just be aware that if you were to do it right away it might have the appearance of a straw sale. But if you were selling it down the road, yeah, you're good until Jan 1st, 2014 when the exemption for 50 year old long guns ends. I'm not saying don't do it, but it's something to read up on. For one thing, if you told the dealer that you're buying it for a friend they'd most likely kill the sale.
2. I believe CSACANNONEER's interpretation is the popular one at the moment, so face to face within California should be OK.

02-14-2012, 6:36 PM
Cool. No, im not doing anything thatll look like a straw sale. Actually a gun ive had for a good while. Was just trying to work out the logistics of it =) Thanks for the replies!