PDA

View Full Version : Sac Valley Military Silhouette Match Saturday 18th of February

pro-nra
02-14-2012, 6:02 PM
If you guys/gals have never done this, it is a load of fun for sure. I am a new at this match (and not very good at that) but I have fun each time I shoot this match with guys that have done this for years. Come out and join the fun. I’ll be there wearing my lucky sombrero and shooting my newly built 1903/03-A3 hybrid.

Pthfndr
02-14-2012, 6:05 PM
I'll be there. Haven't decided whether to shoot open class or irons yet. I never do till I get there. That's why I always bring 2 or 3 rifles and enough ammo for all of them.

1-M-42
02-14-2012, 6:13 PM
I'm shooting the K31 with the vintage Weaver K3, 03A3 for back-up...

pro-nra
02-14-2012, 6:27 PM
I'll be there. Haven't decided whether to shoot open class or irons yet. I never do till I get there. That's why I always bring 2 or 3 rifles and enough ammo for all of them.
You are not working Saturday? I usually bring two rifles too and associated ammo.

I'm shooting the K31 with the vintage Weaver K3, 03A3 for back-up...
You got the scope mounted and zeroed? I'm almost finished with my 1903/03-A3 hybrid but still waiting for the hanguard to come in and fitted hopefully by Friday. If it does not come in on time, it will look funny but I'll shoot it without the handguard. Will bring one of my iron sight K31 as spare. See you all Saturday.

sacto929
02-14-2012, 8:56 PM
I'll be there. No need to back up the 03A3....:43:

BrokerB
02-14-2012, 11:14 PM
wheres the best place to buy bulk soft point 7.62 nato...

That is what I need to shoot correct? or HP

minute of Turkey is fine: )

pro-nra
02-15-2012, 6:12 AM
At this point in time mail order is a day late and dollar short for you to make it for Saturday so your best bet is your local sporting good stores. The cheapest place I've seen ammo are your local Wallmart (the ones that sell ammo).

Are you shooting an M1A? There are a few that shoots M1A but from what I was told from the match director the bolt guns (both US and foreign) wins each and every time.

MongooseV8
02-15-2012, 6:19 AM
Flyin Brian and I will be there again. I think Bruce is riding with us but I'm not sure. And I'm definetly bringing more than 50 rounds this time lol. Makes the sighter rounds very precious when you only have 10!

pro-nra
02-15-2012, 6:53 AM
Flyin Brian and I will be there again. I think Bruce is riding with us but I'm not sure. And I'm definetly bringing more than 50 rounds this time lol. Makes the sighter rounds very precious when you only have 10!
Or you hit the hanger the first time for each of the four distances. Then that leaves you with just 6 round for a shoot off. Heck last month on a shoot off we could not hit that darn turkey for nothing. I always bring at least 100 rounds for each caliber rifle (if different) as you can never bring too much.

bruceflinch
02-15-2012, 7:14 AM

I would love to come, but I'm committed to shooting the IDPA Classifier Match in Richmond. Have to shoot one before the Regional Championship.
So many games, so little time.

BTW, Diablo has a High Power Silhouette Match on the 26th, Mongoose.

Hope for March!

MongooseV8
02-15-2012, 7:22 AM
I would love to come, but I'm committed to shooting the IDPA Classifier Match in Richmond. Have to shoot one before the Regional Championship.
So many games, so little time.

BTW, Diablo has a High Power Silhouette Match on the 26th, Mongoose.

Hope for March!

Ah too bad you won't be there, but at least you have a great excuse haha.

17+1
02-15-2012, 8:10 AM
wheres the best place to buy bulk soft point 7.62 nato...

That is what I need to shoot correct? or HP

minute of Turkey is fine: )

Commercial soft point will be fine for 200 and 300m. You want to switch over to BTHP match bullets (seated just off the rifling) at the 385 and 500m lines, if you can. With my 7mm, I shoot 160 gr. Speer HP hunting bullets at 200 and 300, and save the 175 Sierras for 385 and 500. Even with a mild load, the 7mm 175's retain enough energy down range to take down the rams if you can connect.

Also, there's something to be said for 'mild' reloads that barely take the animals down...it makes the job of the spotter that much easier. This is especially helpful if you have a ChiCom spotting scope with less than stellar lenses. Chickens fly off the beam so don't bother watching for an impact, rather, watch how they fall. Did their feet fly out from under them, or did they spin to one side. This gives an idea of where the impact was so you can feed the shooter info during the string.

Can't make it this month. I ran out of 175's and have a mid term on Monday. :( Shot highpower last weekend with an older gent that shoots the silhouette match as well...he said being a poncho to silhouette. :p

Mutant
02-15-2012, 9:44 AM
Be advised, you do reset your team's targets after each bank. The trick is to have a partner that doesn't hit many cuz then you don't lift as many to reset. I am an excellent partner.

MongooseV8
02-15-2012, 9:58 AM
Be advised, you do reset your team's targets after each bank. The trick is to have a partner that doesn't hit many cuz then you don't lift as many to reset. I am an excellent partner.

Interesting strategy!

I'm super excited for this weekend, I had a great time last month :)

BrokerB
02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Ishapore 2a

So do i have no chance at +300. With bulk bought soft points. I don't reload and have not shot further then 300 yd s and atleast my steel ram gongs with regularity
Im gonna show up someday soon:-)

pro-nra
02-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Commercial soft point will be fine for 200 and 300m. You want to switch over to BTHP match bullets (seated just off the rifling) at the 385 and 500m lines, if you can.

This is especially helpful if you have a ChiCom spotting scope with less than stellar lenses. Chickens fly off the beam so don't bother watching for an impact, rather, watch how they fall. Did their feet fly out from under them, or did they spin to one side. This gives an idea of where the impact was so you can feed the shooter info during the string.

Shot highpower last weekend with an older gent that shoots the silhouette match as well...he said being a poncho to silhouette. :p

I've had good accuracy jamming the bullet into the rifling rather than jumping. I jam the last .002" but do back off my charge .2 gr due to pressure rise when jamming. I'll have to experiment on different jumping distances.

Even with my very bright Kowa scope, I could not see the impact on the chickens. The ram and turkey (sometimes pigs if the humidity is right) I can actually see the path of the bullet till impact so it is easy to spot for the shooter.

Key to success in this match that is ofter overlooked is a good spotter telling the shooter exactly where each round hit.

Saturday will be trial by fire for me shooting a newly built rifle that I have never ever shot before.:eek:

MongooseV8
02-16-2012, 6:04 AM
Ishapore 2a

So do i have no chance at +300. With bulk bought soft points. I don't reload and have not shot further then 300 yd s and atleast my steel ram gongs with regularity
Im gonna show up someday soon:-)

I think the rifle has to be made 1945 or earlier?

pro-nra
02-16-2012, 6:11 AM
I think the rifle has to be made 1945 or earlier?
Not necessarily. In case of post war Garands made during the 50s it still qualifies for the match. My 16 year old son shoot my 1955 vintage HRA Garand.

MongooseV8
02-16-2012, 6:19 AM
Well the model was made before the cutoff as well. The ishapore rifles were not made til the early 60's or so. Totally diifferent animal than an enfield. However for some reason the m1a's are allowed in the open class, and we will be bringing one this weekend.

BrokerB
02-16-2012, 6:56 AM
so no Ishapores allowed? That would be a dam shame since it was the last bolt action general issue rifle in a military

MongooseV8
02-16-2012, 7:25 AM
so no Ishapores allowed? That would be a dam shame since it was the last bolt action general issue rifle in a military

I meant it as more of a question since I am not sure. They might be fine to use, but I would hate to see you drive all the way out there and set up and not be able to use that rifle.

Mutant
02-16-2012, 8:33 AM
If you drove all that way and had an Ishapore, I can not see Tom not allowing you to shoot. Not a chance in my mind. You might (or not) pass on prize money but shooters are welcome. I don't know about the rule for that rifle. It sure ain't a NM M1A so it may qualify.

I have a new/old Ishapore 308 comming by Fed Ex on Saturday and want to find out if they are OK in general for the shoot.

Flyin Brian
02-16-2012, 11:06 AM
If somebody shoots an Ishapore and places in the top three, I'll throw in a couple of bucks for prize money... that would be quite an impressive feat!! JK.

1-M-42
02-16-2012, 7:13 PM
I meant it as more of a question since I am not sure. They might be fine to use, but I would hate to see you drive all the way out there and set up and not be able to use that rifle.

You'll be able to use it, no problem. The rule is held to it's spirit, the Ishapore, although newer, still holds to the same characteristics of the WWII era SMLEs.

On a side note, went out to the silhouette range today to try out my new K-31 Swiss with it's vintage optics...it rocks. Looking forward to Saturday.

On another side note, when we got up there, two of our guys were repairing the silhouettes, probably two dozen had been busted up. Unidentified (or close to it) persons have been using AP and Magnum rounds, basically destroying the targets. Our guys were out there until 1 PM welding them back up. If you are out during the week keep an eye out for shooters using unapproved ammo and report them to the office. These guys are costing us all time and money and it's starting to get a bit annoying. Staff thinks they know who's doing it and that group has been banned from the silhouette range.

See everyone Saturday.

17+1
02-16-2012, 7:31 PM
I've had good accuracy jamming the bullet into the rifling rather than jumping. I jam the last .002" but do back off my charge .2 gr due to pressure rise when jamming. I'll have to experiment on different jumping distances.

Even with my very bright Kowa scope, I could not see the impact on the chickens. The ram and turkey (sometimes pigs if the humidity is right) I can actually see the path of the bullet till impact so it is easy to spot for the shooter.

Key to success in this match that is ofter overlooked is a good spotter telling the shooter exactly where each round hit.

Yeah, you can't see impacts on chickens, even if you shoot them with a 223. Have to watch how they fall.

Agree on good spotter. I like minimal feedback during the string. If my barrel is heating and starting to impact low/high, I will hold slightly off rather than take the time to adjust the sights/slow the rhythm. More so in the wind where a delay may result in the dope being off when you rebuild your position. Also, if you're shooting irons, you need a better spotter that can watch the wind conditions down range. If you have a newbie spotting for you, a scope is much easier as you can see what's going on down range for yourself, through your scope, and not rely on the inexperienced spotter to feed you accurate data.

If the conditions are good, I try to hurry up and shoot it. Can't believe I dropped 3 pigs last month shooting the Mauser...I cleared them 2 months in a row with my M1. :o

pro-nra
02-16-2012, 9:50 PM
If you drove all that way and had an Ishapore, I can not see Tom not allowing you to shoot. Not a chance in my mind. You might (or not) pass on prize money but shooters are welcome. I don't know about the rule for that rifle. It sure ain't a NM M1A so it may qualify.
I am fairly confident that Tom will let you shoot it as a military issue. I am so confident that if he does not let you shoot it, I'll let you shoot one of my spare rifle (either a 1917 Eddy, SA 1903 or RA 03-A3) but you will have to cover the ammo. Just show up with it and you will be able to shoot it.

Geologyjohn
02-17-2012, 6:56 AM
I'm lost. Is there a posting somewhere on CALGUNS with the time, place, and rules for this match? I'd love to participate. Thanks, Geologyjohn

pro-nra
02-17-2012, 8:18 AM
I don't think its on CALGUNS but you can go to Sac Valley Shooting Center and check the schedule but I don't think the rule is there. Just show up tomorrow between 0800-0830 with $20, about 70 rounds of SP or HP ammo and your military rifle and you are GTG for the match. I guarantee you you'll have fun. Say hello to me with the giant "lucky" sombrero.

Geologyjohn
02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Bummer (for me). All my ammo is mil-spec, such as .30-06 HXP from the CMP. No SP or HP in the lot. Maybe next time. Thanks, Geologyjohn

Riflewizard
02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Agh. Wish i could go. Would love to shoot my 1917 there. How often do these occur?

1-M-42
02-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Every month, third Saturday

pro-nra
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Agh. Wish i could go. Would love to shoot my 1917 there. How often do these occur?

That's all I shoot at these matches and love it. However, tomorrow I will have a new rifle I've never ever shot before, a 03-A3/1903 hybrid. We shall see how it performs.

1-M-42 also shoots his nice 1917 Eddy but the past couple of times he has been frustrated with it and shore to cut up the barrel when he gets home.:D

MongooseV8
02-17-2012, 1:22 PM

You should really make the effort to make it to the next match. Its about as much fun as you can legally have while still wearing pants haha.

bloodhawke83
02-17-2012, 1:28 PM
Going to be a while for me. Garand still not up and running, G43 still out and Springfield 1903 needs some work.

I forgot to look at my score last night, how bad was I? :D

Flyin Brian
02-17-2012, 1:50 PM
Bloodhawk, I have a nice Springfield you can use if you have ammo.

bloodhawke83
02-17-2012, 1:56 PM
Bloodhawk, I have a nice Springfield you can use if you have ammo.

thanks

Ammo not ready yet, waiting to buy a new reloading machine with tax return.

Pthfndr
02-17-2012, 8:02 PM
I'm lost. Is there a posting somewhere on CALGUNS with the time, place, and rules for this match? I'd love to participate. Thanks, Geologyjohn

Here you go. All the regulars there, read this over. If I missed anything or it needs corrections let me know and I'll edit it and see if we can get a mod to sticky this at the top of the forum.

Sacramento Valley Shooting Center Military Rifle Silhouette Match

Sign in Time: 0800-0830 at the Steel Silhouette range (Range 6)

Cost/Prizes: $20 (which includes the $7 steel silhouette range fee) - All profits go to the Military Rifle Silhouette Discipline of the Folsom Shooting Club to pay for awards and supplies. There will be one award for every three competitors in a class.
The match will begin at 0900 hrs, on the third Saturday of each month.
The range will be open at 0830 hrs, for "sighting in" and practice.

Total Shots for record: 40 (bring at least 20 more for sighters and potential shoot offs).

Course of Fire: All fired from the prone position
Silhouette Color: Whatever it is that day – black or white.
200 meters 10 rounds (chickens)
300 meters 10 rounds (pigs)
385 meters 10 rounds (turkeys)
500 meters 10 rounds (rams)
Two people per firing point. First person shoots and second person spots for them. After resetting targets second person shoots and first person spots. Everyone rotates through until everyone has shot at all targets.

Equipment:
Bipods, monopods, tripods, mechanical rests, etc. cannot be used.
Front support such as bedroll, sand bag, duffle bag or similar rest can be used. No rear support (other than your hand) is allowed. Slings, shooting jackets and shooting pads can be used.

Time Limits for Each Stage: 10 minutes per stage - The time limit is for "sighters" and all shots for record. Once the "record run" has begun, there will be no more sighters.

Rifles: Any stock military rifle can be used. Iron sights must be original i.e., no Alley aperture fronts for M1 Garands. Triggers and barrels must also be original military. Slip on recoil pads or stock extenders are okay. M1A's or AR-15's aren't "stock military" and will shoot in the Open classes.

Ammunition: Bullets must be hollow point or soft nose. AP and FMJ are not allowed. Ammo will be checked. Rifles must be at least .24 caliber (.223/5.56 is the minimum) and muzzle velocity cannot exceed 3000 fps.

Classes: are based on the two highest scores - New shooters will be put in AA until classified.
• Master (35-40)
• AAA (29-34)
• AA (21-28)
• A (15-20)
• B (00-14)
• Open (prone)
• Open (bench)

Open Class: For rifles that aren't fully stock or are original or reproduction sniper rifles. Scores fired in Open Class will not determine classification, or shoot for over all match winner.

Target Setting/Resetting: You're responsible for resetting what you knock down. Targets will be fully placed on the designated pads. Targets will not be "soft set".

1-M-42
02-18-2012, 4:32 PM
Good weather held almost the entire match then it turned a bit cold. Great turnout today, over 30 shooters. Some high scores were turned in, I shot a 32/40 for my highest ever score but didn't come close to placing. I've decided that the Swiss made the best rifles....EVER.

I'll be missing the March shoot while on vacation. To all of you who have been thinking about participating , DO IT. Great bunch of folks and a fun match.

Mutant
02-18-2012, 5:08 PM
And a good time was had by all. The End

SilentScream
02-18-2012, 5:24 PM
Will the overall standings be posted someplace?

Pthfndr
02-18-2012, 7:22 PM
Will the overall standings be posted someplace?

Tom usually emails them out.

Pthfndr
02-18-2012, 7:25 PM
Good weather held almost the entire match then it turned a bit cold. Great turnout today, over 30 shooters. Some high scores were turned in, I shot a 32/40 for my highest ever score but didn't come close to placing. I've decided that the Swiss made the best rifles....EVER.

I'll be missing the March shoot while on vacation. To all of you who have been thinking about participating , DO IT. Great bunch of folks and a fun match.

Isn't it wonderful what a good rifle and a scope can do for your ego :)

I like shooting the iron sights, but dang, I swear those silhouettes get smaller every year.

I too will miss the March match, so will see you all in April for the silhouette match the vintage LR match.

bruceflinch
02-18-2012, 8:20 PM
Sorry I missed the fun today. I shot my IDPA Classifier poorly. The weather in Richmond was ok though. We saw the sun!
Planning on being there next month!

Pthfndr
02-19-2012, 8:52 AM
Here's the match results for those who didn't attend or receive a copy.