PDA

View Full Version : C&R Hand Gun

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 6:59 PM
Guys, Need your help.

I have C&R license, Can i receive the Walther P38 from out of state from a private party and then register it? or is it illegal.

thanks

a1c
02-14-2012, 7:17 PM
You need to have it sent to a FFL01.

Eddie1965
02-14-2012, 7:23 PM
Or you can purchase it out of state FTF and then register it within 5 days of bringing it to California.

TRICKSTER
02-14-2012, 7:27 PM
If you pick it up in person while out of state, you can bring it back and register it with this form and $19. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf

If you are not buying it in person and having it shipped to CA, you must go through a 01 FFL / Dealer.

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 7:27 PM
Or you can purchase it out of state FTF and then register it within 5 days of bringing it to California.

So i cannot get it mailed to my address from a private party?

thanks

Eddie1965
02-14-2012, 7:30 PM
Neither private party or dealer, all handguns have to go through 01 FFLs. The only way you can get around that is to pick it up in person and then bring it back into Cali.

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 7:39 PM
Do i need to pay tax even if i buy from private party?

thanks

bloodhawke83
02-14-2012, 7:58 PM

thanks

Nope

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

a1c
02-14-2012, 8:01 PM

thanks

The FFL01 might collect the use tax. Keep in mind that even if he doesn't, you are supposed to pay it when you fill in your taxes.

littlejake
02-14-2012, 8:01 PM
If you're buy from a private party -- there is a pitfall. It has to go to a CA dealer for DROS to you. But the CA dealer will not / cannot accept a shipment from a non-FFL because of the CFLC system. So, your out-of-state private party must ship it through a dealer in his state who is setup to use the CA CFLC system. An added step and expense at his end.

TRICKSTER
02-14-2012, 8:05 PM
If you're buy from a private party -- there is a pitfall. It has to go to a CA dealer for DROS to you. But the CA dealer will not / cannot accept a shipment from a non-FFL because of the CFLC system. So, your out-of-state private party must ship it through a dealer in his state who is setup to use the CA CFLC system. An added step and expense at his end.

This info is totally wrong. Private sellers are exempt from CFLC.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 8:11 PM
The FFL01 might collect the use tax. Keep in mind that even if he doesn't, you are supposed to pay it when you fill in your taxes.

Its a private party sale, so why do i need to pay when i file my taxes? This is just a question i am curious about.

thanks

littlejake
02-14-2012, 8:58 PM
This info is totally wrong. Private sellers are exempt from CFLC.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs

Yes -- but, finding a CA dealer who will accept a shipment from an unlicensed person is difficult.

Cokebottle
02-14-2012, 9:09 PM
Not if it's private party.

The FFL may or may not collect tax... and a recent letter from the BOE further muddies the water and makes it look like ALL out of state transfers are due tax... but an item purchased from a private individual who sells on an infrequent basis and is not any kind of dealer or business is not due tax whether it is a gun or a Zippo.

Motor vehicles (and real property) are the one exception to this.

macatprw1
02-15-2012, 4:23 AM
If you read through the information packet you got when you received your CCR license, you'll get your answer, no guessing!

TRICKSTER
02-15-2012, 7:15 PM
Yes -- but, finding a CA dealer who will accept a shipment from an unlicensed person is difficult.

:rolleyes: :facepalm: