PDA

View Full Version : Quick ar lower question.

Kris79
02-14-2012, 2:59 PM
I know when u buy a gun it has to have one of those crappy lock along with it. But does the same apply when u buy a lower only?

SureShot241
02-14-2012, 3:04 PM
When you go to purchase the lower, ask the salesman behind the counter for instructions, also talk to customers that are at the store, they can give you some tips.

0351USMC
02-14-2012, 3:05 PM
If u have DOJ approved Safe at home,you dont need to buy cable lock

Kris79
02-14-2012, 3:06 PM
Ok just wondering. Since last lower I bought the shop didn't ask and another shop did. Damn it I forgot the name of the safe I have oh well anyone wanna buy 7 cable locks lol

icenix
02-14-2012, 3:55 PM
I know when u buy a gun it has to have one of those crappy lock along with it. But does the same apply when u buy a lower only?

I had to.

stix213
02-14-2012, 4:06 PM
At one shop I had to buy one, at another I didn't.

corcoraj2002
02-14-2012, 4:10 PM
hmm, just picked up a lower from my local FFL, no lock needed but I had one on me incase.

CHS
02-14-2012, 4:16 PM
CA law requires that the FFL sell you a lock, unless you can fill out the safe affidavit, showing that you own a safe.

JNunez23
02-14-2012, 5:31 PM
JD Machine includes one of those red cable locks with a stripped lower. Maybe some other's as well. Don't know if you need it, but some manufacturers will throw one in.

jpm804
02-14-2012, 8:19 PM
When I bought a stripper lower, the options they gave me were buy from them, fill out affidavit showing you have a proper gun safe or show a receipt showing you bought a lock from someplace in the last 30 days ( show receipt and lock).

I went with the last one since it was cheaper at the local walmart and if you dont need the lock you can just return it. I ended up using the lock for my rifle bag anyways so it went to use.

But like people said best to ask the shop their policy.

jbush
02-15-2012, 6:11 AM
Bought 2 lowers, I went to fill out the safe form and we opened the box that had the lowers and locks were included (JDs). It's required, either safe or lock. Not quite sure what locking a stripped lower would accomplish, but this is California. There doesn't have to be a logical explanation for anything.

norcal-ar
02-15-2012, 6:38 AM
depends on the shop really. Bought a few lowers that came "with", other times I was able to bring my lock and my receipt showing I bought the lock in the last 30 days. Get a safe and forget the b.s. all together!

CHS
02-15-2012, 7:44 AM
Not quite sure what locking a stripped lower would accomplish, but this is California. There doesn't have to be a logical explanation for anything.

It is in fact not required by law that you use the lock at all.

Even worse, for handguns it's actually ILLEGAL to use the lock for transport as a handgun has to be inside a locked container. So the lock could actually get people in trouble.

Akers
02-15-2012, 8:00 AM
So what I have seen is the shop will sell you a lock (if the firearm manufacturer doesnt include) ore to cover their booty and then allow you to return it for a refund within 30 days.

This does apply to lowers in my situation.

lawhite92
02-15-2012, 8:08 AM

it seems like it is up to the shop, one place made me and another didnt even ask

ikon
02-15-2012, 9:19 PM
Last lower I bought from AmmoBro's, the lady told me I had to buy a lock and bring the receipt so I did. Went to pick up my lower 10-days later and the guy didn't even ask me if I bought a lock, he just gave me a free one.