PDA

View Full Version : Looking for R700

SFgiants105
02-14-2012, 3:41 PM
Hello all,

I have just decided that I am going to buy a Remington 700 sps in 300 winmag pretty soon here. I wanted a gun that I could buy to have fun and hunt with right out of the box, and then later on add to it and make it a precision rifle. The m1a appeared to fill these needs, but as I read on about the whole side-mount scope issue, and saw that my only scope options were to buy the socom II with extended rails or the lrb m25 (minimum $2200), I decided I could get a remi and a top notch scope for that price.

These are my projected modifications (in order of which mod I will add first):

1. Scope: Want a nightforce or leupold, but am considering bushnell elite until I have more money and more practice shooting it; my main concern with a mid/lower end scope is that it will lose zero with a high powered magnum round like the 300. anyone know about this particular scope and magnum rounds?

2. Bipod: probably just a Harris; are these easy to remove and reinstall (example: for hunting)

3. Trigger: So far, I think either timney or jewell. Any other suggestions for this would be cool too.

4. Stock: Really want the McMillan a4; has anybody (or have friends who have) sent their rifles to mcmillan? is it a hassle? does it take very long; is the pricing and shipping straightforward?

5. Muzzle brake: kinda want a brake, but it's low on my priority list

6. Barrel: want a krieger eventually, but this is way down the road; do they do threaded barrels?

Being a Bay Area resident, I don't know of too many gun shops, and none of the ones I know about have prices like the one's you'd find on impactguns.com or budsgunshop.com. No CA shops have their inventory on-line, be it for security reasons or lazy web design. Does anyone know of somewhere within 50 miles of SF that has a large inventory, good prices, and friendly staff (also hard to come by in CA)? I guess even Sacramento would do for the right price.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SFgiants105
02-14-2012, 4:29 PM
No one?

Black Majik
02-14-2012, 5:00 PM
Something to consider is ammo. Factory .300WM FGMM ammo is $50 per box of 20. How far do you plan to shoot? Also, non-braked .300WM is not pleasant to shoot.

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=FA&prodID=***M300WM&prodTitle=Federal%20300%20Win%20Mag%20190%20gr%20B THP%20Gold%20Medal%20Match%2020/box

russ69
02-14-2012, 5:52 PM
You sound like you don't have much experience with highpower rifles? Your plan to get a Remington and a good scope is on the right track but the 300 Win Mag is way too much cartridge for most people. I would get a 308 or a 30-06 as a good long range rifle. Start with the standard rifle, learn to handload, then try to wear out the barrel. After that you can mod as much as you want.

SFgiants105
02-14-2012, 6:58 PM
Yeah I don't really have extensive experience with high-powered rifles, but it seems that if I get a heavy enough one, it shouldn't be a problem. I have a mosin m91/30 right now, and I feel that it essentially has no recoil whatsoever. The most recoil I've felt on a rifle was on my friend's grandfather's Springfield 1903 (30-06). It had what I could only describe as a rimfire stock attached to it for hunting. My bolt action 22 honestly weighed about the same amount. I figure that if a 300wm that weighs about twice as much has the same amount of recoil, I should be fine.

I'm pretty strong too, and I weigh about 250lbs, so lugging it around won't be an issue, and neither should recoil.

My main concerns were my options with the scope and trigger; also, which stores around the bay area have decent pricing, a wide selection, and friendly staff

mcmikeblues7
02-14-2012, 7:20 PM
Hello all,

I have just decided that I am going to buy a Remington 700 sps in 300 winmag pretty soon here. I wanted a gun that I could buy to have fun and hunt with right out of the box, and then later on add to it and make it a precision rifle. The m1a appeared to fill these needs, but as I read on about the whole side-mount scope issue, and saw that my only scope options were to buy the socom II with extended rails or the lrb m25 (minimum $2200), I decided I could get a remi and a top notch scope for that price.

These are my projected modifications (in order of which mod I will add first):

1. Scope: Want a nightforce or leupold, but am considering bushnell elite until I have more money and more practice shooting it; my main concern with a mid/lower end scope is that it will lose zero with a high powered magnum round like the 300. anyone know about this particular scope and magnum rounds?

2. Bipod: probably just a Harris; are these easy to remove and reinstall (example: for hunting)

3. Trigger: So far, I think either timney or jewell. Any other suggestions for this would be cool too.

4. Stock: Really want the McMillan a4; has anybody (or have friends who have) sent their rifles to mcmillan? is it a hassle? does it take very long; is the pricing and shipping straightforward?

5. Muzzle brake: kinda want a brake, but it's low on my priority list

6. Barrel: want a krieger eventually, but this is way down the road; do they do threaded barrels?

Being a Bay Area resident, I don't know of too many gun shops, and none of the ones I know about have prices like the one's you'd find on impactguns.com or budsgunshop.com. No CA shops have their inventory on-line, be it for security reasons or lazy web design. Does anyone know of somewhere within 50 miles of SF that has a large inventory, good prices, and friendly staff (also hard to come by in CA)? I guess even Sacramento would do for the right price.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Get something like a .308, .30-06, .270, or .243. Definitely do NOT go with .300 WM, just way too expensive. Also, as to hunting, this will not be an adequate hunting rifle. I would guess that my rifle is 9 pounds, which is a LOT, the only reason I carry it around is because I got it for a smoking deal of $275 OTD (C&R). What I'm trying to say is that you don't need all that stuff in the beginning. Go to a gun show and look for a used Remington 700 thin barrel for hunting, then put a decent scope on it, and then get a standard 700 sps tactical or varmint in .223 (.308 if you want to burn a hole in your pocket) and get some nice glass on it. Once you wear out the barrel on it get a new barrel, reloading supplies/precision ammo, and an upgraded stock. Just to let you know, the sport is expensive, you may even regret it in the future, but you will never stop having fun at the range.

russ69
02-14-2012, 7:34 PM
Yeah I don't really have extensive experience with high-powered rifles, but it seems that if I get a heavy enough one, it shouldn't be a problem...

No target shooters are using the 300 Win Mag (at least not for long). Hunters do. But they fire 3 shots a year.

toby
02-14-2012, 7:37 PM
No target shooters are using the 300 Win Mag (at least not for long). Hunters do. But they fire 3 shoots a year.

Really? thats funny right there, and I'm not talking about the spelling error.

SFgiants105
02-14-2012, 8:37 PM
Okay, so regardless of caliber, do you guys know of any shops that typically stock 700s and that have good prices within 50 miles of SF or in Sac (worst case)?

killshot44
02-14-2012, 8:46 PM
Gun Fishing and Other Stuff in Vacaville or City Arms in Pacifica has some 700s you can get behind but their caliber selection is weak. Decide what you want then order it online to be delivered to a FFL for transfer. And -1 on the winmag.

/calling S.F. "frisco" is asking for a beatin', 250 or not.

Peter W Bush
02-14-2012, 8:52 PM
Your first match grade rifle should be a .223 or a 308. Easy on barrels and match ammo is widely available and not crazy expensive. I would have life if every shot I fired had the recoil of a 300 WM.

SFgiants105
02-14-2012, 9:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
02-14-2012, 11:47 PM
+1 on staying away from the Win mag. My father made the mistake of my first hunting rifle being a Sako 7mm mag when I was about 15. Lots of flinch before pulling the trigger. I'm lucky I hit a few antelope on some hunts. Later on I bought another 7mm mag, and sold it with in a month of owning it.

Suggest going with a .308 to 30/06 with a nice muzzle brake.

rrr70
02-15-2012, 7:24 AM
Gun Fishing and Other Stuff in Vacaville or City Arms in Pacifica has some 700s you can get behind but their caliber selection is weak. Decide what you want then order it online to be delivered to a FFL for transfer. And -1 on the winmag.

/calling S.F. "frisco" is asking for a beatin', 250 or not.

How about asking the store to order one for you? They can't posibly have all calibers in stock.