PDA

View Full Version : CAL Drivers Licence Address Question

PixelBender
02-14-2012, 1:49 PM
Hopefully this isn't a big deal but here goes nothing...

When I got my DL I used my parents address, this was a while back, and I never changed it because I was living in some spotty living conditions. Mail had the potential to go missing, or not come at all. Longer story than I would like to explain. Maybe another day.. Anyways, Since then I've moved 3 or 4 times, and found it annoying to constantly have to change my address for EVERYTHING. I.e banking statements, membership letters, magazines, tickets, billing addresses blah blah blah. I've used my parents address as a mailing address, and the address listed on my DL.

When someone asks me, is this address valid, I say yes, as it is an address I receive mail at. If got a ticket and the officer asked me "Is this your address" and I said yes, is that illegal? How would they know? Also, does it matter when I fill out form 4473?

I dont think it matters as long as whatever mail I get, ends up in my hands.

Playing with fire am I?

Kalderis40
02-14-2012, 2:07 PM
I ended up doing a change of address with the DMV since my DL has my old address on it. I had to bring in rent statements to prove where i lived.

-As well as the change form from the DMV

knerona
02-14-2012, 2:16 PM
There are two address that are associated with your DL/ID.

Mailing address
Residence

Your DL/ID always gets the mailing address printed on it. (If the two addresses are the same then no worries)

You can keep your parents address as the mailing address, and keep updating your residence address via DMV's website (www.dmv.ca.gov).

When/if you get pulled over or asked then you will be telling the truth about your mailing address, and if asked about your residence they will be able to confirm it by looking up your record.

=)

PixelBender
02-14-2012, 2:26 PM
There are two address that are associated with your DL/ID.

Mailing address
Residence

Your DL/ID always gets the mailing address printed on it. (If the two addresses are the same then no worries)

You can keep your parents address as the mailing address, and keep updating your residence address via DMV's website (www.dmv.ca.gov).

When/if you get pulled over or asked then you will be telling the truth about your mailing address, and if asked about your residence they will be able to confirm it by looking up your record.

=)

Not to propose the idea of going against the grain here, but why bother? It doesn't matter where I live does it? Hell, if I'm driving all they need is an address to send the ticket to. Where I live is of no importance to them IMO. Yeah send the ticket to me at that address. If a cop ever asked me where I live, I usually dont answer or ask if I'm being detained/arrested, and if not, am I free to go. I've only ever had an officer ask if my address was valid. That was when I got a fixit ticket here in Santa Monica.

I'm all for remaining in the law, but what is the purpose of having my actual residence on file at the DMV?

Any info on the DROS forms? Does it matter?

PixelBender
02-14-2012, 2:31 PM
"and if asked about your residence they will be able to confirm it by looking up your record"

The only instance I could see this applying to is if the neighborhood was on lock down (Local bangers acting a fool or something stupid like that). Then, the officer would have to check my license and see that I do in fact live there, but my parents live down the street so it wouldn't be much of a hassle.

I'm only asking because the thought has crossed my mind regarding the legality of not updating my address. Basically if its not illegal to use their address on a DROS form, than I'm not going to change it.

knerona
02-14-2012, 2:36 PM
CA Vehicle Code Section 14600 give you 10 days to report to the DMV if your mailing address/residence changes.

They wanna know where you are at all times... shocking isn't it. What if something were to happen to you? Residence to contact next of kin? There are many reasons that they may want your place of residence. Can't go to a mailbox to find you. PO boxes aren't allowed on CA DL/ID unless accompanied by a place of residence, you can't live in a PO box.

Take it for what it is, it's all up to you. I just thought I'd help out with what little I know and some googling.

bandook
02-14-2012, 2:39 PM
Not with fire, but with a felony for sure. Making a false statement on the 4473 is a federal felony (where there is no time off for good behavior)

PixelBender
02-14-2012, 2:39 PM
Found this...

http://www.sebastiangibsonlaw.com/california-vehicle-code-section-14600a-traffic-ticket-court-fine-cost.html

PixelBender
02-14-2012, 2:41 PM
Not with fire, but with a felony for sure. Making a false statement on the 4473 is a federal felony (where there is no time off for good behavior)

That answers my question. Thanks.

itisagoodname
02-14-2012, 4:13 PM
They can actually ticket you for not having the correct address on your license (i dont remember the code offhand and no idea where the ticket went). They towed my gf's car for a suspended license and when i picked her up he ticketed me for not having correct information on my license and no front license plate. I ended up getting both written off.

quiet-wyatt
02-14-2012, 4:15 PM
That answers my question. Thanks.

Also realize that when you do a change of address with the DMV in person, they will hole-punch your current Driver's License where the Expiration Date is - thereby nullifying it as a valid CA ID...

Until I received my new Driver's License (which last year took over two months), I could not buy a gun or even pull money out of my bank... :mad:

itisagoodname
02-14-2012, 4:39 PM
Also realize that when you do a change of address with the DMV in person, they will hole-punch your current Driver's License where the Expiration Date is - thereby nullifying it as a valid CA ID...

Until I received my new Driver's License (which last year took over two months), I could not buy a gun or even pull money out of my bank... :mad:

I just did mine online. This thread was a good reminder!

PixelBender
02-14-2012, 5:31 PM
Yeah, I'm planning on making some purchases this year and my roommate the other day had his DL out and I asked why he had the address written on the back, and he said you have to change it. My concern is that I've been at my current address longer than 10 days.

An issue I have is that my registration matches my DL, its a lease (cosign) with my parents. I no longer live there, and recall when I went to turners I needed to bring my vehicle registration in. I would need to update my registration, and my home address. I assume I can do all this at the DMV, but I dont want to walk in "howdy I'de like to update my address" and they say "How long have you been there" and I reply "over a year now" and they slap me with a ticket on the spot. This is one of those things that I could keep my mouth shut about but look, theres a lot of things we could get away with if we kept our mouths shut, but I dont want to live with that, and certainly dont want this to come and bite me in the *** later this year when I make new purchases.

PixelBender
02-14-2012, 5:32 PM
I just did mine online. This thread was a good reminder!

How long have you been at your current residence? Does it even ask that?

Tyson
02-14-2012, 5:48 PM
Its a minor offence, likely a ticket for not having your correct address on you DL.

On a side note, when we moved five years ago I changed our address with both the phyical and P.O. Box info supplied to the DMV. Well the DMV couldn't figure out when I supplied the P.O Box thats where I wanted to receive my DMV mail, they didnt put my physical on the DL and my DL expired. My actual new DL took almost a year to get (just slow on their part) after I gave them a change of address with my P.O Box only. :cool:

Also, my picture on my DL is from 2000 they have never asked me to come in and take a new one. :sleeping:

Oh hey PixelBender, I hate to do it but I just have to steal part of your sig. I LOL'd.

Ubermcoupe
02-14-2012, 5:55 PM
They wonít slap you with a ticket (err, I hope not... :TFH:) Fill out a DMV 14 (http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/dmv/dmv14.pdf), walk into a DMV, pay the fee, take a picture if you like, they send you a new one in weeks. :D

Not sure about updating your registration, Iíve never had to do that.

BTW: Did you just become a Contributor (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/payments.php)? Congrats, all the cool kids are doing it! :thumbsup:

PixelBender
02-14-2012, 6:02 PM
They wonít slap you with a ticket (err, I hope not... :TFH:) Fill out a DMV 14 (http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/dmv/dmv14.pdf), walk into a DMV, pay the fee, take a picture if you like, they send you a new one in weeks. :D

Not sure about updating your registration, Iíve never had to do that.

BTW: Did you just become a Contributor (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/payments.php)? Congrats, all the cool kids are doing it! :thumbsup:
Sounds good then. From what I gather, if you somehow get busted, not sure how, but whatever, you'll pay the price, but if you go in and volunteer the information, your good to go.

I used to be a contributor, but forgot to renew.

cruising7388
02-14-2012, 6:28 PM
PO boxes aren't allowed on CA DL/ID unless accompanied by a place of residence, you can't live in a PO box.

Take it for what it is, it's all up to you. I just thought I'd help out with what little I know and some googling.

I think you got some bad information. Although my wife's DMV data profile in Sacto shows her physical address, her current CA DL only shows a P.O. Box. This is typical for people that live in communities where there is no mail delivery. Unless you have as friend in one of those post offices, mail with only a street addressed as often as not is returned to the sender.

Tyson
02-14-2012, 6:38 PM
I think you got some bad information. Although my wife's DMV data profile in Sacto shows her physical address, her current CA DL only shows a P.O. Box. This is typical for people that live in communities where there is no mail delivery. Unless you have as friend in one of those post offices, mail with only a street addressed as often as not is returned to the sender.

Word!

natrab
02-14-2012, 7:26 PM
I used to have my PO Box listed on my DL, but ran into problems using my DL as a POR when buying firearms. I since had it changed to my physical address for that purpose.

cruising7388
02-14-2012, 9:18 PM
I used to have my PO Box listed on my DL, but ran into problems using my DL as a POR when buying firearms. I since had it changed to my physical address for that purpose.

You certainly can do it that way but alternatively, you can pop into a DMV office and they will print out your driver information with your physical address on it. I think you can even do it on line at the DMV site but it is sent to you via snail mail. That plus your DL works just fine for purchasing your hardware.

knerona
02-15-2012, 8:19 AM

Maybe I should have clarified.

"PO boxes aren't allowed on a CA DL/ID unless accompanied by a place of residence (on the application), you can't live in a PO box." If you look at a DL44, they provide room on the form for your physical address if different from your mailing address.