PDA

View Full Version : Long Gun Purchase Question - Restricted License

SURVIVOR619
02-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Can a person with a "restricted" California Drivers License (to/from and in course of employment and to/from DUI classes) purchase a long gun/complete the DROS successfully?

The CA AG's office denotes "valid, non-expired" license. Anyone have experience if "restricted" falls into the valid, non-expired category?

SVT-40
02-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Since it' still valid it should not trigger any holds based on the validity of the document.

corcoraj2002
02-14-2012, 1:38 PM
I have a restricted license, due to a medical condition, and my FFL processed my CA ID as my driving license. It passed even though my licesnse is restricted (my restriction is even tighter, I can not drive anywhere they just did not disqualify it, until I get a medical clearence).

J.

SURVIVOR619
02-14-2012, 1:48 PM
Thanks J. Good luck with your medical condition brother.

Decoligny
02-14-2012, 2:23 PM
Thanks J. As we've heard "driving is a privilege".. Well, owning a firearm is a right so back off on the license. Hope that proves true for me. Good luck with your medical condition brother.

You don't need a DL to purchase a firearm. You can get a CA ID card.

Decoligny
02-14-2012, 9:16 PM
Understood and agreed. I was trying to find out if I could avoid a trip to the DMV. Side question, can one obtain an ID card while also possessing a valid, but restricted license... I'll check DMV for that.

Otherwise, was hoping it'd be a smooth easy purchase. No hassles.

I appreciate the responses.:)

You can get a CA ID with a valid license, a restricted license, a suspended license, or even no license at all.

SVT-40
02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
You can get a CA ID with a valid license, a restricted license, a suspended license, or even no license at all.

True.

Even though they both have the same number they are considered differently at the DMV.

Technically when the FFL enters the number in the DROS process he must choose in the drop down whether the document you use is either a drivers license or a ID card. If he uses the DL drop down and your license is suspended then there will be a delay or hold because the computer believes the document you provided was a DL. Even though you may have provided a valid ID card.

If you have issues with the validity of your DL AND you have a California ID card be sure the FFL uses the ID card drop down choice during any firearms purchases.

leadstorm
02-15-2012, 7:20 AM
Can a person with a "restricted" California Drivers License (to/from and in course of employment and to/from DUI classes) purchase a long gun/complete the DROS successfully?Assuming that person is not a prohibited person, the answer is, "Yes."