View Full Version : Finally joined the club

02-14-2012, 12:15 PM
I picked up my first AR, let alone first true semi auto rifle (the keltec was just to much of a hassle). It's a spikes lower st15 multiple caliber. The upper, well it took a while go figure it out. It was a bushmaster my ffl said and I googles around and im almost positive it's one of the poly carbon 15 bushmasters. I was sorta second guessing myself at first, but it appears that bushmaster seems to make a very decent poly upper?

It has a foward assist and shell deflector. I at first wanted to get a saiga but they sold them all and after holding it, I just had to have it. I'm sorta thinking of picking up a spikes upper in a year or less if funds permit. Also ordered some slip 2000 ewl.

As far as the twist rate, it said 1:9. Is that good or bad for heavier bullets? I keep hearing the hornady TAP rounds do better in some different barrels? I take this sucker out soon, glad I made the jump. Anyone have any recommendations?

02-14-2012, 12:33 PM
What was wrong with the keltec?

02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
congrats on the new AR. please share what was wrong with the keltec?

02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
The bushmaster uppers, regardless of materials are pretty durable for the most part right? I do plan on getting a non poly upper when money is avaiable. I found a old m16a2 handbook and was reading up on parts and functions and figure even with that material it's matained the same?

That and I'm trying to figure a decent self defense round and grain.

And ugh well the keltec, got it in 2008. Had assorted fte's, ftf's. Extractor issues. Durability issues (plastic chipping right off) and problems with the piston getting stuck in the tube and at times being loose. In the last couple months I've remied alot of those issues but I just didn't have the confidence in it anymore. And honestly I tried as hard as I could to like that rifle. I won't sell it, it's was a college graduation present, but it's going back to the factory. I'm sure it was a lemon but life goes on. It's a good hiking/folding rifle.

Sorry about spelling and grammar, it's so damn hard to type on my phone.

02-14-2012, 12:52 PM
What no pictures??? :D

Congrats Sturnovik!

1:9 twist will be fine for most of the ammo you will most likely use, unless you plan on shooting 7_ + gr bullets

02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks ubermcoupe! I can post pictures in the next hour, but frankly have no clue how to make it pop up on the page, only as a downloadable/clickable link that goes to the picture.

And yea I decided it was time to step up to the AR plate. I'm getting used to the adjustable stock and love that it's a carrying handle that's detachable. I bought a bunch of 10/20 pmags and already have more mags from the keltec. Only thing I've added are rubber/synthetic rail shields.

Probably should have got the mbuis at the shop though.

02-14-2012, 1:10 PM
I'll take the keltec off your hands if you change your mind

02-14-2012, 1:11 PM

02-14-2012, 1:14 PM
Its not a club, its a disease! You might as well say, "hey guys, I finally got into the AIDS club, wooooo!" So with that said, welcome to the sickness :43:

02-14-2012, 1:17 PM
:83::84: Good luck.

02-14-2012, 1:46 PM
I'll take the keltec off your hands if you change your mind

I'll let ya know. I will more than likely keep it. Its basically been worked out but even the manual states 6,000 is the expected service life and I may not shoot 5k plus a year but I shoot close to a 1,000 in rifles. I'd certainly hope it'd last longer. But its not a bad rifle, just wasnt my thing. IMO they make a better pistol than rifle. But alot of people have had great luck with the rifles.

Its not a club, its a disease! You might as well say, "hey guys, I finally got into the AIDS club, wooooo!" So with that said, welcome to the sickness :43:

Haha yea it sounds like I'm screwed now! But one more fun thing to do in my favorite hobby.

:83::84: Good luck.

Thanks budd!

02-14-2012, 5:25 PM
Eh I took the upper off and tried bore sighting it with aiming the actual bore and peering through it at a can on a tree branch and quite frankly when I looked up, it was quite a bit off. Nothing frustrates me more than having to spend alot of rounds trying to find the zero for irons and especially optics.

Are these any good guys? Even if it only worked a few times it'd make my life easier.

02-15-2012, 6:01 PM
Aye so I finally stripped the lower out and upper and took the bolt/carrier and charging handle and lubricated them with Slip 2000. I wasn't sure on how much to put, so I put a drop on the actual bolt assembly piece from this old army manual I found, and smoothed it around and put it back in and also a drop on the actual cam pin that rotates so the bolt assembly can rotate. How much should go on the carrier itself though?

I also keep hearing this new spring more than the actual rubbing of the chamber/bolt, does that go away as its broke in?

Sorry to keep bumping the thread, very excited as I'm learning how this sucker works!