PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a dead 'yote?

battlehatch
03-30-2007, 8:14 AM
Ok, so lets say I'm done taking some tasteful pictures with my freshly dead 'yote. What happens next? Coyote's are eaten typically? Do I take it home and skin it? Do I skin it on site? What do I do with the carcass? Thanks in advance fellas!

Harbinger
03-30-2007, 8:51 AM
I don't think anyone is going to give you a hard time if you leave it where you shot it, considering it's a varmint animal.

However, their pelts can be pretty nice... so you might want to look into skinning and tannery.

Mike

gose
03-30-2007, 9:09 AM
I don't think anyone is going to give you a hard time if you leave it where you shot it, considering it's a varmint animal.
However, their pelts can be pretty nice... so you might want to look into skinning and tannery.
Mike

I think people will give him a hard time if he takes it home and prepares it ;)

Coyote Casserole anyone? :D

Harbinger
03-30-2007, 9:10 AM

:: retch :: I just threw up in my mouth a little.

:p

Technical Ted
03-30-2007, 9:12 AM
Yum, nothing like a dish made from the meat of an animal that feasts on parasite ridden carrion.

Fjold
03-30-2007, 9:15 AM
I hang tails on the barbwire fence. If you skin them wait about half an hour before doing it to let the body cooldown a bit so that some of the fleas, etc start to leave the body.

damon1272
03-30-2007, 9:19 AM
Bury it.

C.G.
03-30-2007, 9:24 AM
Sell it on E-bay.:D

battlehatch
03-30-2007, 9:47 AM
I wonder, is there some sort of tannery that would process the pelt for me, or is that something one does themselves?

theseacow
03-30-2007, 9:53 AM
Let them lay so other creatures can feast on them. Coyotes are not meant for eating. Think of them as large ground squirrels.

brighamr
03-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I wonder, is there some sort of tannery that would process the pelt for me, or is that something one does themselves?

I don't know where you're located, but I know of tannerys in gold country that will skin, tan, stuff, and mount anything that's not human. I've often thought of asking them how much it would be to stuff\mount feinstein with an ak (he doesn't qualify as human)

slick_711
03-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Depending on the shape of the pelt it could be a neat little trophy, wall hanging, or decorative item in your home/garage. I don't think having a hide skinned/tanned is all that cheap though so make sure it's in good shape before you pay to have that done. As to the rest of the carcass, I'd leave it. Just be sure to not be shooting in it's immediate vicinity anytime soon. Baiting is illegal, mmmK.

joel1316
03-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Its starting to warm up, so pelts are going to look a little thin. Best time for pelts is in Winter. Its almost den season right? Gonna be some pregnant yotes out there, leave them for next time...

redneckshootist
03-30-2007, 11:32 AM

In the midwest you would find alot of people that would eat coyote, I never tried it but I knew people that did

mousegun
03-30-2007, 1:47 PM
If you don't want to process it and..

..it's on public land, leave it for the scavengers.

..it's on private land, bury it or let the farmer/rancher/landowner decide.

Sydwaiz
03-30-2007, 3:24 PM
It'll be gone by mornin. Leave it. I do.

capitol
03-30-2007, 4:11 PM
Ok, so lets say I'm done taking some tasteful pictures with my freshly dead 'yote. What happens next?

You post the pictures for us all to see :D

VeryCoolCat
03-30-2007, 7:48 PM
People sell coyote pelts on ebay

http://search.ebay.com/coyote-pelt-skin_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1

I wish I knew how to skin/tan

randy
03-31-2007, 2:32 AM
Buzzards gota eat same as worms.

Outlaw Josey Wales

ViPER395
03-31-2007, 4:22 AM
LEAVE IT.

Let the other coyotes and scavengers chew him up and get whatever friends that dead POS was carrying.

pogo
03-31-2007, 8:40 AM
I second the idea of taking the pelt, one Turners has one on the wall and it's very nice.

I was at a garage sale a few years back and got a great deal on several wall mounts, along with an entire stuffed 'yote.

The guy shot it in S Cal and took it to a Taxidermist. It's "walking", head cocked to the right, with a distant stare, mouth open looking very hungry, whoever did it did a great job, looks very cool.

Hunter
03-31-2007, 9:07 AM
Leave it for the Condors, but make sure you get the lead out!

Nahuatl
03-31-2007, 10:17 AM
You're kidding. The SoCal desert rat coyotes don't have much fur anytime of year. Champion tannery will process them, but they're worth about $3. and not worth your time.

Toss the carcass in on top of a big bush. It'll settle off the ground and dry out fast. The crows might pick out the eyes, but nothing much will be able to get in there and drag it off. Hunting the same areas again and inspecting what was shot before, I always find old kills intact. Nothing eats a coyote - except maybe the Border Collie I had.

Whatever you do, please don't leave them visible from the road for the anti's to find. Throw them in a big bush.

The local sheriff was called in to investigate an "animal sacrifice" found at the scene of a "satanic ritual." A local vet mis-identified the carcasses as a Labrador Retriever and a Terrier mix. A predator caller took one look and saw a coyote and a fox that someone had skinned and dumped inappropriately.

xenophobe
03-31-2007, 4:29 PM
Yum, nothing like a dish made from the meat of an animal that feasts on parasite ridden carrion.

mmmm catfish

Technical Ted
03-31-2007, 4:40 PM
mmmm catfish
Let me restate that to mean FOUR LEGGED scavengers.

xenophobe
03-31-2007, 5:20 PM
mmmm rice rats

anotherone
03-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Use a guthook knife to skin the coyote. Cut aroud his feet and then to the center of the stomach. Peel back the skin and bag it. Go to home depot and get a large peice of plywood. Get some nails. Drive one nail into each leg of the pelt, stretching it as far as possible, nail it with the fur facing down.

If there are maggots don't get rid of them, they will help clean the pelt. Be sure to get salt on it nice and early and scrape the pelt with your knife. In a couple days it will be leathery and you will have a nice pelt.

Coyote and Grey Fox pelts look cool hanging around your hunting gear and sometimes they can be made into shell holders, etc. Other than looking cool though they have no practical use or value... lately though I've been considering attempting to make a sort of blanket out of furs that I could sleep under while spending nights in my truck or camping just to be hardcore.

Mostly if you don't have a lot of spare time, just leave the coyote there for other varmits. Carrion doesn't tend to stick around long in the desert.