PDA

View Full Version : At last she is all together!

AR-Tuma
02-14-2012, 8:20 AM
After months of planning and searching for exactly what I want (and thanks to a couple calgunners) I finally got the rifle out of jail and put together last night. I've wanted an M1A for years and finally settled on a Scout Squad. Haven't put any rounds through it yet since I only picked it up yesterday and assembled it last night. And of course being a proud papa of my newest baby I just have to share (sorry for the cell phone pics)

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2012, 8:24 AM
Specs?

chillincody
02-14-2012, 8:25 AM
Wow congrats she is BEAUTIFUL :cool:

jp1911
02-14-2012, 8:26 AM
Nice addition! Just remeber to feed and clean it on a regular basis.

tomd1584
02-14-2012, 8:28 AM
Very nice!

Nice! :thumbsup:

p.s. How much of a P.I.T.A. was it to install the extended bolt stop?

AR-Tuma
Specs.

M1A Scout Squad in a JAE-100 Gen 3

BobbyZ
02-14-2012, 8:29 AM
Purdy. I'm starting to really want one.

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2012, 8:35 AM
M1A Scout Squad in a JAE-100 Gen 3 (with barrel tensioner, titanium lugs, thumb wheel cheek rest, butt pad and spacer) Sadlak titanum mount, A.R.M.S. #22 rings (ones with the adjustable tension) Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 3-12x44, Sadlak oversized bolt release. New Harris BRM-S will be delivered today for it and either end of this week or beginning of next I will have the Sadlak TiN piston, extended bolt release, and spring guide. Will most likely drop the scout rail and add the solid cover but its not the highest priority at the moment

My goodness... I like to see some groups when you take it out. In all your research, did you find any loss of accuracy or velocity with the shorter barrel? I have been looking at the M1A's but not sure if I should go with carbine scout or the NM, or maybe a Rem 700....

AR-Tuma
02-14-2012, 8:37 AM
Nice! :thumbsup:

p.s. How much of a P.I.T.A. was it to install the extended bolt stop?

Wasn't bad at all. just drifted the pin out, lined it up and drifted it back in

AR-Tuma
02-14-2012, 8:43 AM
My goodness... I like to see some groups when you take it out. In all your research, did you find any loss of accuracy or velocity with the shorter barrel? I have been looking at the M1A's but not sure if I should go with carbine scout or the NM, or maybe a Rem 700....

On average what I've found was you will lose about 25 fps for every inch of shorter barrel (obviously depending on load this could vary). I would say go with what ever you would like, its about what makes you happy and what purpose it will serve for you. But it is VERY VERY rare to get bolt gun accuracy out of an M1A, you hear of sub min M1A's, not saying they dont exist, but I've never personally seen one. If your wanting precision you can't beat a bold gun.

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2012, 8:51 AM
I have so many carbines already, I thought about getting a rifle I could shoot from the bench. I was looking at the stock SPS 700's.

I sure you will be able to wring all the available accuracy out of an M1A with that setup.

There was something of a rifle guru here at one time, he got banned for arguing with people that said that an M1A was "precision rifle"....

I think he runs the California Precision Rifle Club website now.
http://caprc.com/site/Welcome.html

AR-Tuma
02-14-2012, 9:01 AM
I have so many carbines already, I thought about getting a rifle I could shoot from the bench. I was looking at the stock SPS 700's.

I sure you will be able to wring all the available accuracy out of an M1A with that setup.

There was something of a rifle guru here at one time, he got banned for arguing with people that said that an M1A was "precision rifle"....

I think he runs the California Precision Rifle Club website now.
http://caprc.com/site/Welcome.html

Oh by no mean am I saying that there aren't precision M1A's out there, or one can't be turned in to a precision rifle with work and money put into it. I just personally haven't shot or see one with my own eyes. But you can be sure I'm gonna do everything I can to get this one as close to one as possible. End goal is consistant minute of man accuracy out to 750-800

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2012, 9:06 AM
No I agree, it was kind of an inside joke around here, people calling an M1A a "precision riflle" would really set this guy off, not that I blame him, since he is right.....

MoM is what I shoot for too, thats why I was looking at bolt action 700's, to sort of step my game up. On one level anyway, shooting from the bench is something I almost never do.

AR-Tuma
02-14-2012, 9:39 AM
No I agree, it was kind of an inside joke around here, people calling an M1A a "precision riflle" would really set this guy off, not that I blame him, since he is right.....

MoM is what I shoot for too, thats why I was looking at bolt action 700's, to sort of step my game up. On one level anyway, shooting from the bench is something I almost never do.

Next build will be a bolt gun, but after this one it's gonna be a little bit till I get around to that lol

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2012, 9:40 AM
I'll bet. That stock costs as much as the gun....

speedrrracer
02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Nice! There's just something about the M-1A