PDA

View Full Version : Canada " Minimum gun sentence 'cruel and unusual punishment': Judge"

YubaRiver
02-14-2012, 8:08 AM
Guy posed with a friends handgun for a photo, was caught in the act, should have been given
3 years mandatory prison sentence. Judge gave him a year and now it has
thrown the whole justice system into a twitter about mandatory sentencing.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2012/02/20120214-101158.html

raycm2
02-14-2012, 8:39 AM
The big question here is how the police found out what was happening. From what I read, he was still posing and hadn't yet snapped the photo.

Ray from my Android.

elSquid
02-14-2012, 9:11 AM
The big question here is how the police found out what was happening. From what I read, he was still posing and hadn't yet snapped the photo.

From the article:

- police gang unit executes search warrant at home
- guy is in process of taking photos of self with loaded gun in hand
- police bust in, don't shoot guy, tell him to drop gun
- guy drops gun and gets on floor
- guy gets charged with illegal gun possession

The guy made the mistake of being in his cousin's apartment when the police raided, and for holding an illegal, loaded gun when the police came in.

The photo is a red herring - being in possession appeared to be the crime.

: shrug :

-- Michael

Liberty1
02-14-2012, 9:58 AM
'The Crown is reviewing the decision...'. Canadian subjects need to not forget their place!

Suvhater
02-14-2012, 3:23 PM
..but he could have killed so many people with such a lawless and dangerous weapon! Let us pray that the RCMP have secured the object with a trigger lock so that it can't slay any helpless citizens on its own.

pointedstick
02-14-2012, 4:01 PM
'The Crown court is reviewing the decision...'. Canadian subjects need to not forget their place!

Is it really any different? Both are untouchable unaccountable authority.