PDA

View Full Version : Century arms Saiga conversion

arslin
02-14-2012, 8:02 AM
I know this may be sacrilegious, but I was wondering if anyone has experiences with Century International Arms Saiga Semi Automatic Rifle 7.62x39? My first plan was to get a Saiga, and put a few hundred into converting it. When I called my gun store and asked what they had in stock, They sent me a list of AKs. They have a Saiga 7.62, but they also have A century arms conversion.

Now, from what I can tell, Century Arms did everything I was going to do. I was not going to go with any high end triggers, or anything really fancy. They even made the vent holes that I planned on. My first reaction is... "It is everything I am looking for, buy it..." Almost all the parts are Saiga. I was thinking "how much can they screw up a trigger job?" Then I just keep reading bad things about Century Arms. I have hardly heard of a good about them. Maybe they could screw a trigger job up more than me... It is a new production from them (makes me even more appreciative) so there is not a lot of feedback.

My brother got an arsenal conversion, but I just can plunk down $800-900 for a firearm.

I think I know the answer, but what does everyone think. $400 Saiga 7.62 and convert, or wimp out and get the Century Arms Conversion for $600. I think I'll just go take a look, and go with what I see. I do not think ill see bolt grind or anything.

arslin
02-14-2012, 8:04 AM
http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/saigaconver.jpg

hefedehefe
02-14-2012, 8:09 AM
I like the shorter, original ak stocks better imo, but it looks cool. I am doing mine myself because I didnt want to fork over the dough and I wanted to be able to get it just the way I like it

NorCalK9.com
02-14-2012, 8:09 AM
Bud its most likely a tapco trigger, which aint hard to install, cai gets a bad rap, ive shot dozens of cai builds that my friends have and they all work fine!
Theres alot if people that hate on cai because their cousins, sisters, boyfriends, uncle on heard from a guy they suck!

SJgunguy24
02-14-2012, 8:13 AM
I'd have to look at it to see where they took the short cuts. I can already see the triggerguard isn't right.

arslin
02-14-2012, 8:16 AM
The thing is... it is still a Saiga. The thing is... Im not sure if I could do it myself for as cheap.

arslin
02-14-2012, 8:17 AM
I'd have to look at it to see where they took the short cuts. I can already see the triggerguard isn't right.

Im new to this... how is it wrong?

radioburning
02-14-2012, 8:20 AM
Do it yourself. Save some cash, gain some knowledge, get it done exactly the way you want it, hone your skills.

SJgunguy24
02-14-2012, 8:23 AM
Im new to this... how is it wrong?

It's not spec, I can tell just from looking at it, some mag locks (like the popular Solar Tactical) won't block the mag latch enough to require the use of a tool if the triggerguard isn't shaped like it's supposed to be.

arslin
02-14-2012, 8:27 AM
Do it yourself. Save some cash, gain some knowledge, get it done exactly the way you want it, hone your skills.

The cost of the rifle if i do it myself will be around $580. The cost of the Century Arms is $610. Not sure if the risk of me screwing it up is worth the few bones.

arslin
02-14-2012, 8:30 AM
It's not spec, I can tell just from looking at it, some mag locks (like the popular Solar Tactical) won't block the mag latch enough to require the use of a tool if the triggerguard isn't shaped like it's supposed to be.

Im new to this... I hate to use logic when it comes to gun laws. However, since it comes with a pistol grip, should it not come with a bullet button?

chead
02-14-2012, 8:42 AM

It looks weird but I can't put my finger on it. What's the deal?

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2012, 8:45 AM
Post withdrawn, here's a picture of my Saiga. I did the conversion myself.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m397/kurofukushu/Saiga.jpg

arslin
02-14-2012, 8:50 AM
Where are you getting it from? Can you even find a dealer yet for a CA legal model? You may have to get it sent to a third party and then into the state. That would be just as much as converting a siaga yourself.

Yes, It is sold at parallaxtactical. They are a sponsor, so I can list them... I live very close to them.

arslin
02-14-2012, 8:55 AM
Post withdrawn, here's a picture of my Saiga. I did the conversion myself.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m397/kurofukushu/Saiga.jpg
Did I miss the joke?

SJgunguy24
02-14-2012, 9:05 AM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/6281AMD_65_001.jpg

Ok look at the triggerguard on this AMD65.

http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/saigaconver.jpg

Look at the triggerguard on this gun.

It looks weird but I can't put my finger on it. What's the deal?
Compare the 2 and you'll notice the radius on the AMD trigger guard is much tighter, it's easy to see on the flat between the grip and the latch. Most mag locks fit up against the mag catch tower and the solar tactical uses that radius to lock itself in.

SJgunguy24
02-14-2012, 9:06 AM
Did I miss the joke?

A Saiga is a Russian Antelope.

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2012, 9:11 AM
I thought the Century looked a little 'round', but if Parallax is selling them, they must have figured a way to make it work....

I have a few Century imports, and one Century build (A WASR that works beautifully), but I would spend the extra money to convert it myself.

That is damn cheap though..... and incredibly ugly....

What is the price for a stock Saiga and conversion parts I wonder? Including the hand guards too?

http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=637

This kit has the hand guard stuff and feed ramps you need for ak mags, needs to be welded though.
130.00 bucks

arslin
02-14-2012, 9:29 AM
That is damn cheap though..... and incredibly ugly....

What is the price for a stock Saiga and conversion parts I wonder? Including the hand guards too?

I personaly sorta like the way it looks. I'm going to try to limit the tacticacool.

To convert it myself (Conversion kit {FCG+trigger guard+stock+grip} +Bullet guide+mag lock+ and the rifle itself= $580 (tax fees extra). then there is shipping...

The century arms convertion =$610

Difference $30

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2012, 9:39 AM
If you like it, go for it. I bet you convert the second one though...

Its a bit of an obsession....

arslin
02-14-2012, 9:44 AM
If you like it, go for it. I bet you convert the second one though...

Its a bit of an obsession....
I'm sure...If I get a chance to buy a seond one. Need a 1911 first.

Ill give feed back once I see it today after work. I will not have a lot of time. I have ballet with the family tonight.

Happy single awareness day BTW.

arslin
02-14-2012, 10:12 AM
I really can not wait for the day to end...

chead
02-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Ok look at the triggerguard on this AMD65.
Compare the 2 and you'll notice the radius on the AMD trigger guard is much tighter, it's easy to see on the flat between the grip and the latch. Most mag locks fit up against the mag catch tower and the solar tactical uses that radius to lock itself in.

Weird, did they just re-use the original trigger guard or something? It's not like a proper trigger guard is hard to find or install. In any case, Century is the company you buy Romanian imports from, not Saiga conversions.

MrPlink
02-14-2012, 11:42 AM
If century just imported it, fine. but there is no way I would trust them with even a simple Saiga conversion.

arslin
02-14-2012, 12:11 PM
If century just imported it, fine. but there is no way I would trust them with even a simple Saiga conversion.
It is a trigger job basically. So yes, they could screw it up. I will be very carfull when looking at it today. If in question, I will go for a a regular Saiga. I hear they are hit or miss...

chead
02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
It is a trigger job basically. So yes, they could screw it up. I will be very carfull when looking at it today. If in question, I will go for a a regular Saiga.

WASRs have Tapco triggers in them installed by Century, and they seem to do that just fine.

vta
02-14-2012, 2:20 PM
Buy it if you don't want to do it yourself. Not a whole lot they can screw up on the trigger group conversion. What they did is worth about 100 bucks in parts.

SJgunguy24
02-14-2012, 9:51 PM
Weird, did they just re-use the original trigger guard or something? It's not like a proper trigger guard is hard to find or install. In any case, Century is the company you buy Romanian imports from, not Saiga conversions.

Reusing the trigger guard is perfectly accecptable as long as the builder takes the time to reshape it into AK specs. Wanna guess which builder has a specific jig made just for reshaping triggerguards? This is one reason why I say just get a barrel less kit and strip out everything to use for the conversion. The triggerguard, selector stop, bullet guide, rear sight, gas tube, HG retainer, gas block, FSB, and brake. If one was confident enough in their skills, a full Krink conversion could be built using the Saiga for the base gun.

Buy it if you don't want to do it yourself. Not a whole lot they can screw up on the trigger group conversion. What they did is worth about 100 bucks in parts.

Give it some time before the horror stories get started up. Even the simple FCG swap can get epiclly f**ked if the person doing it tries hard enough.

arslin
02-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Well I put it in jail :cool:

It looked good. I am no expert, but I had read as much as a person could about the conversion, and it looks good. The trigger is better than on the stock Saiga. Century Arms did not even bother putting a stamp on it (thank god). So there is no shame in taking it to the range. The stock and grip felt a bit cheap and hard, but hey... upgrades. $680 to put her in Jail. I have a 1260 rounds of Yugo brass ammo headed my way too.

vta
02-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Well I put it in jail :cool:

It looked good. I am no expert, but I had read as much as a person could about the conversion, and it looks good. The trigger is better than on the stock Saiga. Century Arms did not even bother putting a stamp on it (thank god). So there is no shame in taking it to the range. The stock and grip felt a bit cheap and hard, but hey... upgrades. $680 to put her in Jail. I have a 1260 rounds of Yugo brass ammo headed my way too.

Congrats. Make sure you clean the rifle real well after shooting those yugo round. They are mildly corrosive.

arslin
02-14-2012, 11:08 PM
yea, I will. I'll buy some wolf too.

SVT-40
02-15-2012, 9:07 AM
Reusing the trigger guard is perfectly accecptable as long as the builder takes the time to reshape it into AK specs. Wanna guess which builder has a specific jig made just for reshaping triggerguards? This is one reason why I say just get a barrel less kit and strip out everything to use for the conversion. The triggerguard, selector stop, bullet guide, rear sight, gas tube, HG retainer, gas block, FSB, and brake. If one was confident enough in their skills, a full Krink conversion could be built using the Saiga for the base gun.

Give it some time before the horror stories get started up. Even the simple FCG swap can get epiclly f**ked if the person doing it tries hard enough.

Tear your SAIGA down to it's bones (receiver and front trunnion) and start over!!!

Not a real big deal. This one's gonna be a AK-105 clone.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/AK/DSC05712-1.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/AK/DSC05713.jpg

Plus this.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/AK/DSC05678-1.jpg

and this. As well as a permanently installed barrel extension.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/AK/DSC05717.jpg

SJgunguy24
02-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Tear your SAIGA down to it's bones (receiver and front trunnion) and start over!!!

Not a real big deal. This one's gonna be a AK-105 clone.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/AK/DSC05712-1.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/AK/DSC05713.jpg

Plus this.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/AK/DSC05678-1.jpg

and this. As well as a permanently installed barrel extension.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/AK/DSC05717.jpg

Been there done that, even split the trunnion and installed a military bullet guide and welded the big rivet hole up for a military clone.

SVT-40
02-15-2012, 3:46 PM
Been there done that, even split the trunnion and installed a military bullet guide and welded the big rivet hole up for a military clone.

I would like to find someone who can weld up the various holes which are no longer needed.

Know anyone who does this and what is the approx cost? I think there are 8 or 9 holes which need plugging. I want the holes to look like they were never there.

I'm going to weld on the reinforcing plate to the bottom of the receiver as those welds will not show so strength is more important than appearance.

SJgunguy24
02-16-2012, 12:16 AM
I would like to find someone who can weld up the various holes which are no longer needed.

Know anyone who does this and what is the approx cost? I think there are 8 or 9 holes which need plugging. I want the holes to look like they were never there.

I'm going to weld on the reinforcing plate to the bottom of the receiver as those welds will not show so strength is more important than appearance.

I TIG weld all the holes up that aren't needed. It can be done with a MIG machine, but more care is needed when dressing out and blending the surfaces together since the wire is pushed in there instead of fed as needed like the TIG.

ZX-10R
02-16-2012, 5:20 AM
Bud its most likely a tapco trigger, which aint hard to install, cai gets a bad rap, ive shot dozens of cai builds that my friends have and they all work fine!
Theres alot if people that hate on cai because their cousins, sisters, boyfriends, uncle on heard from a guy they suck!

This is your answer...Just DROSd a CAI Romy AES RPK yesterday ;) .The thing looks awesome. Small but barely noticeable (that will get fixed quick) cant. Not enough to stop that show since everything else was flawless and checked out.

Hmmm that is my 6th CAI gun/ Draco and an open challenge still. :43:

arslin
02-16-2012, 9:32 PM
I TIG weld all the holes up that aren't needed. It can be done with a MIG machine, but more care is needed when dressing out and blending the surfaces together since the wire is pushed in there instead of fed as needed like the TIG.

My brother is a master welder, and he and I basiclly now have the same AK... However, We only need it to operate like an AK. We do not need it to look 100% like one.

SJgunguy24
02-17-2012, 5:56 AM
My brother is a master welder, and he and I basiclly now have the same AK... However, We only need it to operate like an AK. We do not need it to look 100% like one.

99% of AK's out there are basically the same. The big difference is in the quality of the parts and the attention to detail during the build. Some countries built fine working firearms, some build works of art with fine machine work and beautiful blued finishes.