aileron
03-30-2007, 6:26 AM
I think this is a good start. :)

JIM ZUMBO

March 28, 2007

An Open Letter to the
United States Senate

Dear Honorable Ladies and Gentlemen:

It recently came to my attention that one of your colleagues, Michigan Sen. Carl Levin, has chosen to attack firearms owners using remarks I wrote in mid-February as his launch pad. As you probably know, Sen. Levin has been making anti-gun speeches every week for the past eight years because of a promise he made to the Economic Club of Detroit in May 1999.

Mr. Levin has an agenda, and he should have spoken to me before using my name in one of his speeches, especially since his remarks were entered into the Congressional Record. I would like my remarks here entered into the Congressional Record as well.

Sen. Levin is only one of 16 members of the Senate to vote against the Vitter Amendment to the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act. This amendment prohibits the confiscation of a privately-owned firearm during an emergency or major disaster when possession of that gun is not prohibited under state or federal law.

Eighty-four senators voted for that amendment, inspired by the egregious confiscation of firearms from the citizens of New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina in the summer of 2005. Those seizures, you will recall, led the Second Amendment Foundation and National Rifle Association to join in a landmark civil rights lawsuit in federal court that brought the confiscations to an abrupt end.

The taking of private property without warrant or probable cause – even firearms – was considered an outrage by millions of American citizens, and yet Sen. Levin joined 15 of his colleagues in voting against this measure. It is no small wonder that Sen. Levin gets an “F” rating from gun rights organizations. He would have American citizens disarmed and left defenseless at a time when they need their firearms the most, when social order collapses into anarchy and protecting one’s self and one’s family is not simply a right and responsibility, it becomes a necessity.

That in mind, Sen. Levin must know that almost immediately after I wrote those remarks, I recanted and apologized to the millions of Americans who lawfully and responsibly own, compete with and hunt with semi-automatic rifles. I took a “crash course” on these firearms and visited with my good friend Ted Nugent on his ranch in Texas, where I personally shot an AR-15 and educated myself with these firearms.

Some of us learn from our mistakes, others keep making them. Legislation to which Sen. Levin alluded, HR 1022, would renew the ban on so-called “assault weapons,” and dangerously expand it to encompass far more perfectly legal firearms. For the Congress of the United States to even consider such legislation is an affront to every law-abiding firearms owner in this country.

This legislation that Sen. Levin appears to endorse is written so broadly as outlaw not only firearms, but accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. As I understand the language of this bill, it could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns – firearms I hope to one day pass on to my grandchildren – as well as millions of identical and similar firearms owned by other American citizens.

It is clear to me that the supporters of this legislation don’t want to stop criminals. They want to invent new ones out of people like me, and many of you, and your constituents, friends, neighbors and members of your families. They will do anything they can, go to any extremes they believe necessary, to make it impossible for more and more American citizens to legally own any firearm.

In his final paragraph, Senator Levin misrepresents what I said. I never spoke in favor of a general assault weapons ban. Again, I immediately apologized for my blog statement that was exclusively directed toward hunting and not gun ownership.

I will not allow my name to be associated with this kind of attack on the Second Amendment rights of my fellow citizens.

A few weeks ago, in a letter to Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, I promised to educate my fellow hunters about this insidious legislation “even if I have to visit every hunting camp and climb into every duck blind and deer stand in this country to get it done.”

I will amend that to add that I will bring my effort to Capitol Hill if necessary, even if I have to knock on every door and camp in every office of the United States Senate. In promoting this ban, the Hon. Carl Levin does not speak for me, or anybody I know.

Sincerely,

James Zumbo
Cody, Wyoming

KenpoProfessor
03-30-2007, 6:44 AM
Some of us learn from our mistakes, others keep making them. Legislation to which Sen. Levin alluded, HR 1022, would renew the ban on so-called “assault weapons,” and dangerously expand it to encompass far more perfectly legal firearms. For the Congress of the United States to even consider such legislation is an affront to every law-abiding firearms owner in this country.

This legislation that Sen. Levin appears to endorse is written so broadly as outlaw not only firearms, but accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. As I understand the language of this bill, it could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns – firearms I hope to one day pass on to my grandchildren – as well as millions of identical and similar firearms owned by other American citizens.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

These two paragraphs are the ones that are most disconcerting. He still isn't on the ball but this is a definite change in attitude, not quite the 180 (more like a 150 LOL) I think we'd like to see.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

FreedomIsNotFree
03-30-2007, 7:40 AM
Call me a softy, but I feel sorry for the guy. He took from himself, almost his entire career. I have no doubt that he was elevating himself, as some sort of pure hunter, when he made his fateful comments a few weeks back. I also have no doubt that he would take it all back in a split second if possible.

I'm pretty good at holding a grudge, but I'm also willing to recognize contrition.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

leelaw
03-30-2007, 7:50 AM
First he calls our firearms "terrorist weapons."

Then he retracts his statement in a damage comtrol move after his cash flow died.

Then he, while doing a propoganda piece with Nugent, says that the gun owners took out of context what he said (since there is a different way to interpret calling our firearms "terrorist weapons," I guess :rolleyes:)

He's still on damage control. He's stabbed gun owners in the back twice now, and as far as I'm concerned: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Well, he's used his two, and I'm not letting a third. He's a puppet, and a man without honor. I will never support him. He's done irreversible damage to our cause.

FreedomIsNotFree
03-30-2007, 7:57 AM
First he calls our firearms "terrorist weapons."

Then he retracts his statement in a damage comtrol move after his cash flow died.

Then he, while doing a propoganda piece with Nugent, says that the gun owners took out of context what he said (since there is a different way to interpret calling our firearms "terrorist weapons," I guess :rolleyes:)

He's still on damage control. He's stabbed gun owners in the back twice now, and as far as I'm concerned: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Well, he's used his two, and I'm not letting a third. He's a puppet, and a man without honor. I will never support him. He's done irreversible damage to our cause.

I see where you are coming from and cant fault anyone for feeling that way.

As to him having done irreversible damage to our cause, well, intially I felt that way too, but I am beginning to see another angle. He has galvanized black rifle owners to a point we have never seen in years past. Maybe its my way of seeing the silver lining in the situation.

When life give you lemons, you make lemonade.

fairfaxjim
03-30-2007, 8:03 AM
This guy needs to just STFU! He has toasted himself and his career, and all his worming and squirming to get himself back in is not helping anyone.

Fjold
03-30-2007, 8:04 AM
This action by Senator Levin is exactly what people feared when Zumbo made his intiial statements and that was what a lot of my outrage was about. He gave the anti's ammunition to use against us.

Wulf
03-30-2007, 8:09 AM
Sounds like he's trying....and doing what he can to minimize the damage he's done. Isnt that one of the recovery steps?

WokMaster1
03-30-2007, 8:28 AM
Sounds like he's trying....and doing what he can to minimize the damage he's done. Isnt that one of the recovery steps?

Nah! His first step is to invite & bring as many Senators & Congress folks who are fence sitters to the range & have a good time. Let these politicians speak to the folks that shoot at the gun range. These people are way too out of touch with their constituants. they need to get off their desk arses & go pound the pavement & see the REAL America.

Initially, I wanted to say that his first step was to mow my law but that would be selfish of me.

Comstock Lode
03-30-2007, 9:37 AM
More self-focused rhetoric... Obviously primarily concerned he'll loose his own personal "well worn" hunting firearms, not a strong statement that the civilian versions of our military firearms, like the AR-15, are definately not "assault weapons," they are semi-auto, not full auto, just like myriad hunting rifles that have been use for decades, but using modern designs and materials, and actually very effective and often superior firearms for hunting... I just can't stand the guy.

hoffmang
03-30-2007, 9:55 AM
I'm getting more and more respect for Zumbo here. He's paying attention and fighting the good fight now. If he keeps it up, he'll become a phoenix.

-Gene

oaklander
03-30-2007, 10:05 AM

Step 9.

ivanimal
03-30-2007, 10:25 AM
I did not pay attention to him as a hunter and he matters not to me as a Marksman.

Persona non grata.:rolleyes:

FreedomIsNotFree
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
I never even knew the guy before hand so maybe thats why I feel less "betrayed"...

I just dont see how this is going to work against us in the long run. Sure he gave the anti's some ammo, but did that change any minds? Are there people that have turned away from the principles of the 2nd Amendment because of what Zumbo said?

If anything, this has shown how powerful black rifle owners have become thanks to the internet...we should be spending more time focusing on how to continue that trend.

hoffmang
03-30-2007, 10:46 AM
The thing Zumbo can do is that by starting to treat seriously the threats to all firearms (hunting and black) he can educate the hunters who identify with him far better than we of the younger and blacker rifle camp can.

Having both major constituencies fighting the good fight is going to work best.

-Gene

wutzu
03-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Good on Mr. Zumbo for stepping up and turning at least a 150. We can ostracize him forever, but that would be futile and counterproductive. I don't much care about what his intentions were when he wrote this letter. The facts are, he recanted (good), he called foul when his recanted statement was taken out of context (good), and he'll presumably have a more inclusive view of the 2nd amendment (good). Whether it's because he genuinely cares, or wants another paycheck is largely irrelevant to me.

Grakken
03-30-2007, 11:00 AM
I never new who Jim Zumbo was before his whole debacle. He is at least making an effort to help now. You might never forgive him for what he has done but to each his own i guess. I am just glad their is one less ignorant hunter out there and if he can enlighten more of the ignits out there, than I am all for that.

ibbryn
03-30-2007, 11:05 AM
It's a big change to go from a hunter who doesn't understand the RKBA to someone who has a cache buried in case he needs to help throw King George (not alluding to Pres George Bush! :D ) out of the country.

I'd say he's taking the right steps. He has a lot of influence with the hunting crowd and may be able to bring some of them to our side. There's no point in wacking the guy now that we have him on the right path, even if he's not yet at our destination.

I vote for continued mentoring.

Surveyor
03-30-2007, 3:24 PM
The thing Zumbo can do is that by starting to treat seriously the threats to all firearms (hunting and black) he can educate the hunters who identify with him far better than we of the younger and blacker rifle camp can.

Having both major constituencies fighting the good fight is going to work best.

-Gene

Just what I was thinking.

xenophobe
03-30-2007, 4:56 PM
Zumbo has spent many years representing hunting groups and the NRA in ways that most of us never would be able. He made a huge mistake and it changed his life. He has seen the error of his ways and should be forgiven, if not for the fact that he may actually do more good for us in the future, then for the fact that he did misspeak and he was officially hanged, and that not forgiving him gives the anti's exactly what they want. The anti-leftists need to see that their divide and conquer tactics are starting to fail them, by giving Zumbo a second chance.

grammaton76
03-30-2007, 5:04 PM
I hate to re-post, but this makes me feel exactly the same way I did on the last post - and rather than re-type it, I'm just gonna quote my previous post. I'm glad to see him back and writing stuff like this.

Ya know, this whole thing reminds me of a quote from a 1996 movie named Mother Night, about a nazi propaganda guy who was an American spy. Never saw it, but one line from the previews really stuck in my head. It was something along the lines of, "In the end, it doesn't really matter whether or not you were an agent of the other side. You served me so well, that there's no possible way that what you did for them outweighed what you did for us."

Another point down below IS an actual quote, from IMDB:

you must be careful what you pretend to be because in the end you are who you're pretending to be.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0117093/

Now here's the part where this heads in a direction you probably weren't expecting: I don't care if, at his core, he's anti-EBR. If he's really motivated by his paychecks, then I want him back in his position making his regular tributes to the EBR side for fear of losing his job again, this time for good. I don't care if he ever starts hardcore 2A campaigning; in fact I prefer that he does not. Any lost credibility with his snobby, elitist Fudd followers will work against us in the end. The more he becomes like one of us, the more his Fudd following will walk away and tune him out.

I would like to see him reinstated, and if he must choke on every pro-EBR, pro-2A word he says, he will still utter them if he wants his paycheck. He doesn't have my forgiveness, as he doesn't need it. If he believes what he's saying, then I welcome him as a companion. If he doesn't, then I smirk at how it must burn at him to say the words which help our cause. Either way, it is a benefit to us.

In the end, he will either begin to believe what he's saying and become a true believer (if he isn't already), or simply remain silent on the matter to keep his job.

Either outcome is just as good, in my opinion. He knows and we know that a "comeback" could not survive a second Zumboing, and he'd have to be both drunk and stoned to say something like that again.

hoffmang
03-30-2007, 7:07 PM
gramma,

I'm sadly sure you'll post that again at least twice. I'm starting to get my local store of my usual posts...

-Gene