PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19, Gen 3 Question

larryis1
02-13-2012, 9:32 PM
Of members that recently purchased a new Glock 19, Gen 3, have you had ejector problems where your arms or face are taking random shells? *If so how have you resolved this?

Mana4real
02-13-2012, 9:42 PM
I'll let you know in a couple days. I pick it up tomorrow :)

Whatisthis?
02-13-2012, 9:44 PM
There was recently a thread about this. I'll attempt to search for it, but I can't promise I'll find it.

EDIT: found it pretty quickly

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=532526&highlight=G19

rtorc
02-13-2012, 10:24 PM
There was recently a thread about this. I'll attempt to search for it, but I can't promise I'll find it.

EDIT: found it pretty quickly

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=532526&highlight=G19

This was the thread that I started. FWIW, I decided to take my chances with the G19. I pick it up this coming Friday. I'll be updating those who are interested on the 19's performance as soon as I get some range time.

Take care,

RT

eifersucht
02-13-2012, 10:27 PM
I've never had that problem with my 19. I wonder if it was the ammo people were using? That could definitely play a part.

NewbieDave
02-14-2012, 12:18 AM
No... should be throwing them at about 4 o'clock of the gun. What you shooting out of it?

LoudSilence
02-14-2012, 12:25 AM
I have the same problem. I have about 1000 or more rounds through the pipe and I constantly get brass in my face/head. About 1-3 times a magazine. At first i thought maybe it was a bad grip like limp wristing or something along those lines, but I hear this is a fairly common problem. I shoot mostly Winchester 115gr FMJ white box from the 100 round boxes and Sellier and Bellot 115gr FMJ.

c3 rolling
02-14-2012, 1:01 AM
If you shoot hotter ammo it goes away. One of Glock 34 does this with reloads, WWB, and Rem UMC but flings at 3 oclock with hotter ammo.

c-wick
02-14-2012, 3:55 AM
Ive got about 2-3000 rounds of reloads with maybe 2 face shells. No issues here with "not as hot" ammo

drunktank
02-14-2012, 7:18 AM
My 19 (manufactured 8-10) ejects 3 to 4 o'clock regardless of ammo. 115gr wwb, blazer, HST, ranger t-series, reloads, etc.

DDRH
02-14-2012, 8:28 AM
Seems to happen to the 2011 glock19. Thought the issue went away with mine. But still consistently gettin brass at my face. May send it back to glock

larryis1
02-14-2012, 8:47 AM
February 14, 2012
Spoke to Technical Support at Glock in Smyrna, GA

Phone No.: *770-432-1202

Discussed Ejector issue on G19 Gen3, and was advised that this should no longer be a problem. *It was due to a nonconforming spring in the Ejector assembly. *If still a problem they will replace the entire Ejector Assembly at no charge.

famas619
02-14-2012, 8:52 AM
I got mine last month and put 300 rounds through it, no issues at all.

larryis1
02-14-2012, 8:55 AM
I got mine last month and put 300 rounds through it, no issues at all.

That is good news. I will be getting mine soon and hope to have the same experience.

Can you share either the factory mfg. date or the factory test fire date of you G 19 Gen3?

Thanks

P.S. what range ammo do you use?

SouperMan
02-14-2012, 9:10 AM
February 14, 2012

Discussed Ejector issue on G19 Gen3, and was advised that this should no longer be a problem. *It was due to a nonconforming spring in the Ejector assembly. *If still a problem they will replace the entire Ejector Assembly at no charge.

Good to see Glock will take care of the issue.

Had something similar to my Glock 17, figured it would go away with more rounds fired and it did after 300 rounds. I guess it needed to be broken in (in my case, YMMV).

DDRH
02-14-2012, 9:52 AM
February 14, 2012

Are they sending you a shipping label? or sending you to the nearest glock armorer to get the ejector fixed?

I didn't even know there's a spring in the ejector...you sure it's not the extractor? Curious.

rtorc
02-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Are they sending you a shipping label? or sending you to the nearest glock armorer to get the ejector fixed?

I didn't even know there's a spring in the ejector...you sure it's not the extractor? Curious.

I'm curious too (In case I have similar issues)! I pick up my 3rd Generation G19 this Friday

Ubermcoupe
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I’ve never had ejector issues/brass hitting my head with Gen2s or Gen 3s unless it bounced off the wall next to me.

I’ve heard about it with Gen4s but I have no experience with a gen4 (yet...)

DDRH
02-14-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm curious too (In case I have similar issues)! I pick up my 3rd Generation G19 this Friday

Yes, i was active in the thread you started...glad you still decided to pick one up :)

anyone else got the same issues? fixes, ya'll tried?

larryis1
02-14-2012, 12:49 PM

I think a lot has to do with the factory manufacture or factory test fire date. Anything after October 2011 appears to be ok based upon other posts I have read.

I understand that for any customer that have this ejection issue and have purchased their G19 recently, the factory will cover shipping both ways (you can use a Glock Armorers as an alternate). You may have to be pushy with the person at Glock tech support if they don't offer it. After all this is a DEFECT.

DDRH
02-14-2012, 1:23 PM
I think a lot has to do with the factory manufacture or factory test fire date. Anything after October 2011 appears to be ok based upon other posts I have read.

I understand that for any customer that have this ejection issue and have purchased their G19 recently, the factory will cover shipping both ways (you can use a Glock Armorers as an alternate). You may have to be pushy with the person at Glock tech support if they don't offer it. After all this is a DEFECT.

Yes, that's the consensus on the testfire date...however, my buddy's SGX...?? is also having same issues...although, not as bad as mine. RXU...

Lovin
02-14-2012, 4:11 PM
Stop reading the internet and go out and shoot it when you get it.

sirgiles
02-14-2012, 5:33 PM
Stop reading the internet and go out and shoot it when you get it.

easy concept to live by.

Mana4real
02-14-2012, 6:28 PM
Just picked up my G19. It has the 336 ejector and it's an SLW... Gonna shoot some tomorrow and some Saturday.

Mana4real
02-14-2012, 7:15 PM
So, I just loaded my first magazine. Getting the tenth round in there was really tough. They really want to make sure you have no room to even possibly fit a piece of paper between the round and the magazine.

DDRH
02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
So, I just loaded my first magazine. Getting the tenth round in there was really tough. They really want to make sure you have no room to even possibly fit a piece of paper between the round and the magazine.

Soooo, how'd she shoot? brass to the face? or you one of the lucky ones? :confused:

Mana4real
02-15-2012, 1:35 PM
Soooo, how'd she shoot? brass to the face? or you one of the lucky ones? :confused:

I was just loading a mag at home. I'm going tonight to shoot some paper with a local calgun member. I'll give some feedback later :)

HPGunner
02-15-2012, 1:51 PM
*It was due to a nonconforming spring in the Ejector assembly. *If still a problem they will replace the entire Ejector Assembly at no charge.

I thought the ejector was just a piece of bent metal. The extractor has the spring in it. I'm guessing they have a nonconforming spring in the extractor causing the grip on the casing to be too loose or too tight.

Similar to tuning a 1911 extractor - too loose causes erratic ejections. too tight could lead to failure to feed

It must be recent G19's because I've got an older G19 (2008) and I haven't experienced any of this.

DDRH
02-15-2012, 2:00 PM
I was just loading a mag at home. I'm going tonight to shoot some paper with a local calgun member. I'll give some feedback later :)

OIC...i use an Uplula, and the last round is real tough to get in too.

I thought the ejector was just a piece of bent metal. The extractor has the spring in it. I'm guessing they have a nonconforming spring in the extractor causing the grip on the casing to be too loose or too tight.

Similar to tuning a 1911 extractor - too loose causes erratic ejections. too tight could lead to failure to feed

It must be recent G19's because I've got an older G19 (2008) and I haven't experienced any of this.

this is what i'm thinking also, the ejector looks stationary, i don't see a spring or feel any tension...but the extractor is the moving part, and i'm thinking this is why the erratic ejection.

Some have said to file down the cast marks on the extractor to improve movement...some have replaced with LoneWolf extractors. and some say it works, some it don't. maybe also a spring tension, like you've stated?

larryis1
02-15-2012, 3:30 PM

If you can, please share your G19 factory manufacture and/or test fire date(s).

Thanks...

tbc
02-15-2012, 5:43 PM
Use to own a gen3 g19. The shell landed into the interior of my friend's bra. I was not considered that a problem though. Haha. I brought a bib for her on the next trip.

Mana4real
02-15-2012, 7:38 PM
If you can, please share your G19 factory manufacture and/or test fire date(s).

Thanks...

I put 150 rounds through it. 50 115 grain and 100 unknown old reloads. I had one FTF which jammed in the barrel, but we got cartridge out and continued (no fault of the gun) Everything ejected like it was supposed to. My test fire date was jan 15th 2012 I believe. I can double check. No brass to the face at all. I have an SLW Serial number. Going to dinner. BRB

Mana4real
02-15-2012, 8:13 PM
Sorry, test fire date is Jan 25th, 2012. So it's brand brand new.

larryis1
02-15-2012, 8:59 PM
Sorry, test fire date is Jan 25th, 2012. So it's brand brand new.

Your test results and test fire date are very helpful and encouraging data. It helps to support that the newer units likely do not have the ejector problem that results in shells projecting to the face/head. :)

For the one FTF, do you think that was a result of poor ammo or some other cause. How did you clear the FTF round?

Thanks for sharing and being helpful.

Larry

cwin
02-15-2012, 9:01 PM
In the few hundred rounds I've shot through my G17, I've had about two rounds fly back towards my face. Otherwise mine has been gtg. How often is it happening?

larryis1
02-15-2012, 9:16 PM
In the few hundred rounds I've shot through my G17, I've had about two rounds fly back towards my face. Otherwise mine has been gtg. How often is it happening?

The post addresses Gen 3 G19s and some other Gen 3s made during CY 11 through the October timeframe per other internet posts, and relates to the ejector assembly. Supposedly post October 2011 units should be ok.

USMC VET
02-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Mine is about 5 months old with 300 rnds and I have yet to have any such problems.

Mana4real
02-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Your test results and test fire date are very helpful and encouraging data. It helps to support that the newer units likely do not have the ejector problem that results in shells projecting to the face/head. :)

For the one FTF, do you think that was a result of poor ammo or some other cause. How did you clear the FTF round?

Larry

It was bad ammo. These were reloads from well over ten years ago that my father bought from a gun show. There were over 1000 and I'm down to about 200. I've had 3 FTF from that ammo so far. But that's the first time it got stuck in the gun. The other 2 FTF's were in my Browning Hi-power. But I've only really shot this ammo in the past few months. To get the round out, the slide wouldn't pull back. I went to the range with one of the local calgun members. He pulled the slide off for me and then we removed the barrel. We used a cleaning rod to push the bullet (complete) out of the chamber. The bullet never left the casing. I did pull it apart when I got home and inspected it, the barrel still looks brand new like nothing ever went through it. I'm just glad that there doesn't seem to be any issues with cases flying at my forehead. The only cases flying at me were from Rod shooting next to me. As far as the help, no problem!! That's what were all here for.

larryis1
02-15-2012, 10:50 PM
It was bad ammo. These were reloads from well over ten years ago that my father bought from a gun show. There were over 1000 and I'm down to about 200. I've had 3 FTF from that ammo so far. But that's the first time it got stuck in the gun. The other 2 FTF's were in my Browning Hi-power. But I've only really shot this ammo in the past few months. To get the round out, the slide wouldn't pull back. I went to the range with one of the local calgun members. He pulled the slide off for me and then we removed the barrel. We used a cleaning rod to push the bullet (complete) out of the chamber. The bullet never left the casing. I did pull it apart when I got home and inspected it, the barrel still looks brand new like nothing ever went through it. I'm just glad that there doesn't seem to be any issues with cases flying at my forehead. The only cases flying at me were from Rod shooting next to me. As far as the help, no problem!! That's what were all here for.

Thanks for sharing your interesting experience. As an aside I read that Glock does not support reloads. They only support FMJ ammo. They say use of reloads can void the warranty.

Take care...

Mana4real
02-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks for sharing your interesting experience. As an aside I read that Glock does not support reloads. They only support FMJ ammo. They say use of reloads can void the warranty.

Take care...

I'll keep that in mind. I am shooting FMJ ammo. Once I'm done with the rest of these bullets laying around, I have some fresh stuff I just bought.

DDRH
02-16-2012, 2:46 AM

Take care...

Most, if not all gun manufacturers, don't support reloads. And Glock recommends FMJ, because of the polygonal rifling.

Glad to hear the 2012 G19 is working like it suppose to.

HondaMasterTech
04-15-2012, 9:05 AM

Larry

G19.
Test fire date 3-xx-2012
336 Ejector
Extractor has a number 2 casted into the cylindrical portion
300 rounds of Winchester white box
30 rounds Hornady Critical Defense

Issues:
1 case stuck in the ejection port facing 180 degrees. ( primer forward )
Erratic ejection anywhere from 6:00 to 3:00.
Roughly 20% of the ejected cases land on the top of the shooters head
Roughly 10% of the ejected cases "dribble" out of the ejection port and fall onto the shooters forearm
Brass marks on the front of the ejection port, the left side of the ejection port and the bottom edge of the ejection port on the right.

Video confirms the report.

Fired fast and slow with no change in performance.

Same shooter, same day fired numerous rounds from a G30 with no issues at all with regards to ejection quality. No brass marks on the slide as with the G19 and no erratic ejection or failures to eject. "limp wristing" is likely not an ussue. Also, Winchester white box was what was fired from the G30, the same ammunition as fired from the G19 minus the caliber difference. G30 has over 1,000 trouble free rounds fired. Zero malfunctions.

The problem is not fixed with guns manufactured after October 2011 proven by my own experience and with reports on various message boards.

grim1U
04-15-2012, 5:19 PM
I've never had a single problem from any Glock 17 / 19/ 26 Gen 3 9mm in any situation, with/without lights attached.

So no, doesn't sound normal for a G19 if everything is factory.

larryis1
04-15-2012, 5:21 PM
G19.
Test fire date 3-xx-2012
336 Ejector
Extractor has a number 2 casted into the cylindrical portion
300 rounds of Winchester white box
30 rounds Hornady Critical Defense

Issues:
1 case stuck in the ejection port facing 180 degrees. ( primer forward )
Erratic ejection anywhere from 6:00 to 3:00.
Roughly 20% of the ejected cases land on the top of the shooters head
Roughly 10% of the ejected cases "dribble" out of the ejection port and fall onto the shooters forearm
Brass marks on the front of the ejection port, the left side of the ejection port and the bottom edge of the ejection port on the right.

Video confirms the report.

Fired fast and slow with no change in performance.

Same shooter, same day fired numerous rounds from a G30 with no issues at all with regards to ejection quality. No brass marks on the slide as with the G19 and no erratic ejection or failures to eject. "limp wristing" is likely not an ussue. Also, Winchester white box was what was fired from the G30, the same ammunition as fired from the G19 minus the caliber difference. G30 has over 1,000 trouble free rounds fired. Zero malfunctions.

The problem is not fixed with guns manufactured after October 2011 proven by my own experience and with reports on various message boards.

Sounds like your G19 needs to go back to Glock for warranty service. My 19 has more rounds thru it with zero problems. Good luck.

EWILKE
04-15-2012, 6:28 PM
I have never had my G19 hit me in the face
are they ricochet off the walls or target system.
mine ejects very far to the 4 to 5 o'clock area and I shoot my reloads
xtreme 124 grain with 4.2 grains of titegroup.