PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39mm Range Ammo

Faded
02-13-2012, 9:05 PM
Just curious what ammo do you use at the range? Will Brass Plated pass the magnet test?

lrj812
02-13-2012, 9:17 PM
I don't have to pass the test at my range, but Yugo M67 is brass and is suppose to be non magnetic. I buy it online, it's out there right now.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-13-2012, 9:26 PM
...Will Brass Plated pass the magnet test?

The only 7.62x39 ammo that I know of that uses brass plated steel cases is Golden Bear. If your range is one of the few that ban steel cased ammo then they will ban Golden Bear. More importantly, Golden Bear also uses steel jacketed projectiles. Most ranges in So Cal don't allow ammo with steel jacketed projectiles.

jonc
02-13-2012, 9:28 PM
yugo is the way to go!!

Faded
02-13-2012, 9:33 PM
Yeah I usually shoot at "A Place To Shoot" and I have had the range officers do the magnet test on my ammo for my AR.

I have a new AK coming shortly and am finally checking out my ammo choices. Doing the corrosive ammo seems like a pain to clean. Saw some Youtube videos that entailed a bucket, Windex, Soap, a hose, etc.

ott1
02-13-2012, 9:34 PM
It's not the steel case (brass plated or not) that the ranges worry about. It's the bullet that they care about having either a mild steel core or just lead.

If the ranges care about the steel cases, then more likely that they don't want to bother sorting the brass from non-brass cases because they get money for the brass for recycling or reloading.

Johnnyfres
02-14-2012, 8:31 AM
The range near me only does the "magnet test" to the bullet itself not the casing.

LawStudent
02-14-2012, 2:37 PM
I was in the same boat, best I found was fiochi at .50/rd from dsg arms w/ free shipping on 400 rds this month - then I shot at lytle creek where bi-metal jacket is gtg and ordered some brown bear at .22/rd from sportsmanguide w/ free ship this month, oh well now I'm covered both ways

therza2071
02-14-2012, 3:09 PM
Yeah I usually shoot at "A Place To Shoot" and I have had the range officers do the magnet test on my ammo for my AR.

I have a new AK coming shortly and am finally checking out my ammo choices. Doing the corrosive ammo seems like a pain to clean. Saw some Youtube videos that entailed a bucket, Windex, Soap, a hose, etc.

It's not difficult at all to clean up after corrosive ammo. A little bit of warm, soapy water is all you need. Everything else is totally unnecessary.

Richard Erichsen
02-14-2012, 4:15 PM
Just curious what ammo do you use at the range? Will Brass Plated pass the magnet test?

Yugo surplus remains the cheapest option. When that is gone there will be fairly inexpensive Winchester, Federal, Fiocchi, Privi Partizan and similar non-steel cased, non-steel jacketed.

Range rules differ. Some care about steel cored/steel jacketted bullets wearing out steel backstops or targets, or it may be a fire risk in some large outdoor ranges during the summer months. Some ranges care about steel cases getting mixed with the brass cases that can be recycled. Talk to your RSO or if the interpretations differ, the management to find out what part of the "steel" in some of this ammo is the problem. For example, Hornady SST and Vmax ammo is steel cased, but the bullets are lead cored, copper jacketted, plastic tipped and therefore not-magnetic. It's great 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 mm ammo, won't ruin backstops but not all ranges will allow it if they make a few bucks on recycling spent brass because they HATE having steel cases show up in their brass containers which the scrap dealers could reject.

R

tujungatoes
02-14-2012, 5:25 PM

Cleaning corrosive is actually quite easy. There's no need for windex, pots of scalding hot water, industrial solvents, or evil black magic. Many people make WAY too big a deal out of it...especially when you consider the fact that we live in southern california. It's a f**king desert after all. In higher humidity environments immediate attention is more of a concern.

Just clean your rifle like you normally would. Don't do a crappy job. This will remove the majority of the corrosive salts. When you're done take some patches(maybe a dozen:shrug:) soaked in water and run them through the bore. The water will dissolve any remaining salts and carry them out. Patch it dry and then oil it up. Don't forget to clean and then give the water wipedown and oil treatment to the bolt/carrier and gas system. Presto! You're done. Wasn't that easy?

ott1
02-14-2012, 6:33 PM
if they make a few bucks on recycling spent brass because they HATE having steel cases show up in their brass containers which the scrap dealers could reject.

Easy to sort steel from brass, big magnet. ;)

Faded
02-14-2012, 8:23 PM
Thanks for all the input. I will call my range and see where their head is at to determine if its the bullet,case, or both they care about. Hopefully its just the bullet so that I can buy whatever is cheap.

Is there any ammo one should completely avoid?

Richard Erichsen
02-15-2012, 7:05 AM
Easy to sort steel from brass, big magnet. ;)

Tell that to the youngest/newest RSO that drew the short straw and actually has to do the work of sorting them. ;)

R

hyeg35
02-15-2012, 6:06 PM
Anyone been to Angeles shooting range in Sylmar? Wondering what kind of ammo will work there since they do the "magnet test".

RonPogi
02-15-2012, 6:25 PM
Yugo gtg in Angeles Shooting Range

Richard Erichsen
02-26-2012, 8:58 AM
Thanks for all the input. I will call my range and see where their head is at to determine if its the bullet,case, or both they care about. Hopefully its just the bullet so that I can buy whatever is cheap.

Is there any ammo one should completely avoid?

None that I can think of, but like most I never met a 7.62x39 mm round I didn't like.

Inspect your ammo before using it. Some surplus ammo was stored improperly and once the case has had it's seal perforated, it's down to the lacquer seals on the case neck and primer to protect the interior and the steel case itself. If strange color bands are present, it may have been in a flooded basement in a crushed case. That's ammo I wouldn't use. If the appearance is fine, the OAL length is within spec and nothing appears out of sorts, shoot it.

Some folks will even give a dud another chance for glory by pushing it back into the mag after the clearance drill trying again. I have mixed feelings about this, but it's regularly done. Generally by attempt 2 it's not worth trying again.

R

zfields
02-26-2012, 9:03 AM
Man I'm glad I never had to deal with magnetic ammo being banned from ranges.

Mail Clerk
02-26-2012, 9:16 AM
The only ammo I know I can shoot at the range is either Fiocchi or Remington. My range bans all steel wether it's steel cased or the bullet core is steel. They will also magnet test your ammo and if it detects steel they'll make an attempt to confiscate the ammo and get you to buy there's in the store.

The last time I bought Fiocchi it was terribly high in price. Unless it's on sale I will never buy this stuff even though it's non-steel and non-corrosive. For that price I'm much better off driving to Bass Pro and get boxes of Remington and rab a quick lunch out there and have a nice time drive back into town.

Mail Clerk

zfields
02-26-2012, 9:49 AM
The only ammo I know I can shoot at the range is either Fiocchi or Remington. My range bans all steel wether it's steel cased or the bullet core is steel. They will also magnet test your ammo and if it detects steel they'll make an attempt to confiscate the ammo and get you to buy there's in the store.

The last time I bought Fiocchi it was terribly high in price. Unless it's on sale I will never buy this stuff even though it's non-steel and non-corrosive. For that price I'm much better off driving to Bass Pro and get boxes of Remington and rab a quick lunch out there and have a nice time drive back into town.

Mail Clerk

Yugo surplus.