PDA

View Full Version : knife regulations on UC campuses?

Socal858
03-29-2007, 11:33 PM
ive tried to search for every kind of weapons laws regarding UC campuses and have come up wtih nothing useful in regards to knives. i do understand there is the gun free school act (or wahtever they are calling it) but i see a large amount of students with knives (folding knives with those shiny pocket/belt clips that are so obvious)

we are UC riverside so its pretty obvious, we are only a hop and a skip from the hood and they frequently come to rob the students

now obviously the hippie student body jack holes have the rules written out to where it says POSSESSION OF WEAPON AGAINST UNIVERSITY REGULATIONS PUNISHABLE BY *seemingly horrid punishment*. ambiguity at its apex

now where in the flipping flapjack can i find a decent list or explanations for the "university regulations"

if it would be legal, id like to keep a mini k-bar in my backpack. i live OFF campus wiht my benelli and OLL's, so i feel safe at home; ON campus i would like to be able to carry something defensive besides a large hardcover textbook

please help augment my poor search-fu

swhatb
03-29-2007, 11:41 PM
when wen't to uc, ask that same q to pd. carrying knife, like min-k bar, busted if caught. the sgt. recommended mace instead. asked if had any, said nope. said wait here. sgt came back with a new can of mace that they carry and said here. showed me how it worked, and then maced me to know what's it like :eek: had to use it one day. pd said justified. the sgt. remembered me and gave me a new can :D

CalNRA
03-29-2007, 11:46 PM
they consider a folding knife with a lock to be.....a fixed blade knife.

go figure

rkt88edmo
03-29-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html#SECTION THREE

Read and heed. Don't expect the PD to know the law. Also be aware of city ordinances.

CalNRA
03-29-2007, 11:49 PM
http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html#SECTION THREE

Read and heed. Don't expect the PD to know the law. Also be aware of city ordinances.

when I confronted the UCPD with the penal code in hand, they said "we'll arrest you and let the DA sort it out."

Socal858
03-30-2007, 12:14 AM
when I confronted the UCPD with the penal code in hand, they said "we'll arrest you and let the DA sort it out."

ouch. i guess they definitely know we as students have less money to fight back wtih and have more to lose because of our enrollment

no surprise at that course of action.

i guess it will be chemical spray . . . at least i am 6'1 195 and can clobber the hell out of them with a big book after they are blinded:D

CalNRA
03-30-2007, 12:17 AM
ouch. i guess they definitely know we as students have less money to fight back wtih and have more to lose because of our enrollment

no surprise at that course of action.

i guess it will be chemical spray . . . at least i am 6'1 195 and can clobber the hell out of them with a big book after they are blinded:D

pretty much.

interesting thing is though, that the same cop also said "you know it's sad, because carrying a loaded gun is a misdameanor and a knife is a felony."

I almost thought he winked when he said that. I was a little creeped out by that.

Socal858
03-30-2007, 7:26 AM
pretty much.

interesting thing is though, that the same cop also said "you know it's sad, because carrying a loaded gun is a misdameanor and a knife is a felony."

I almost thought he winked when he said that. I was a little creeped out by that.

oh he likey you ;) :p

yep, at this age though i cant afford to have neither on my record (or at any age for hte matter)

wildcard
03-30-2007, 7:56 AM
One way of looking at it is to carry it and don't get caught with it regardless of legality because the way I see it, nobody should know you have it until you NEED it. Or just get yourself some Fox pepper spray. I know that when I was doing my graduate work at Cal State Fullerton, the max length for a folder was 5" according to their weapons code. I thought that was generous :D

Scotty
03-30-2007, 7:57 AM
Penal Code 626.10 governs the types of knives you are allowed to carry on campus from K-12 to universities.

leelaw
03-30-2007, 8:18 AM
they consider a folding knife with a lock to be.....a fixed blade knife.

go figure

Are you thinking of gravity knives?

Slap a thumb stud on it and require force to open it and it's legal. I don't remember a length limit on college campuses, but 4" comes to mind. ETA: Nope, no length limit for folders.

Scotty
03-30-2007, 8:58 AM
It's 2.5" per PC 626.10.

Tyler
03-30-2007, 9:23 AM
I don't know if it is illegal or not but i have carried a benchmade folder to school everyday for 3 years and never had an issue. This is at UC Berkeley. I acually never even considered that it might not be legal. It is just a pocket knife.

slick_711
03-30-2007, 9:30 AM
I carry a folder 24/7 as well, school, work, the only time it leaves me is the airport (when I carry a Zytel bootknife, **** you terrorists lol).

The PC and some links have already been posted, follow that and you're good. Any 'non-auto' folder is fine, just clip it on your pocket. A fixed blade knife would be much riskier, but if its in your backpack it shouldn't be seen unless you really need it anyway. That's your decision to make though.

I'd recommend a good folder (or 2), you can't really go wrong there, and if you practice with it a bit its every bit as fast as a springloaded or fixed blade knife. Look at the Cold Steel Vaquero Grande if you really want the size of a fixed blade, but a 3-4" folder should prove fine for self-defense and utility.

Librarian
03-30-2007, 10:03 AM
It's 2.5" per PC 626.10.Fixed blades, though, not folders, for universities - K-12 is different:who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, or knife having a fixed blade longer than 21/2 inches

CalNRA
03-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Are you thinking of gravity knives?

Slap a thumb stud on it and require force to open it and it's legal. I don't remember a length limit on college campuses, but 4" comes to mind. ETA: Nope, no length limit for folders.

they have their own interpretation of what "fixed" means. The scary thing is how willing they are to arrest someone and let them deal with the DAs.

kap
03-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I carry a 3.96" Benchmade folder every day while on a UC campus. Thankfully, I have never had to use it. Last time I looked up the laws there was no limit on folders as the CKL website states.

nosewitdot
03-30-2007, 11:55 AM
yea...UCR is pretty shady at times...i wonder this too. but i wouldn't be worried...the police would rather pull over bike riders such as myself accusing people of doing tricks with no evidence

Patriot
03-30-2007, 2:25 PM
My school [not a UC] cites Education Code 48900 and 48915 as far as expulsion for knife-related offenses, specifically:

48900. A pupil may not be suspended from school or recommended for
expulsion, unless the superintendent or the principal of the school
in which the pupil is enrolled determines that the pupil has
committed an act as defined pursuant to

(b) Possessed, sold, or otherwise furnished any firearm, knife,
explosive, or other dangerous object, unless, in the case of
possession of any object of this type, the pupil had obtained written
permission to possess the item from a certificated school employee,
which is concurred in by the principal or the designee of the
principal.

48915. (a) Except as provided in subdivisions (c) and (e), the
principal or the superintendent of schools shall recommend the
expulsion of a pupil for any of the following acts committed at
school or at a school activity off school grounds, unless the
principal or superintendent finds that expulsion is inappropriate,
due to the particular circumstance:

(2) Possession of any knife or other dangerous object of no
reasonable use to the pupil.

(2) Brandishing a knife at another person.

g) As used in this section, "knife" means any dirk, dagger, or
other weapon with a fixed, sharpened blade fitted primarily for
stabbing, a weapon with a blade fitted primarily for stabbing, a
weapon with a blade longer than 31/2 inches, a folding knife with a
blade that locks into place, or a razor with an unguarded blade.

In reading these statutes it seems to me that they are intended to be applicable to primary education, but - in lieu of concrete evidence to the contrary - they may be applicable at UCs as well. Any impressions from the legal minds among us?

My school:

No:
-knives larger than five inches [blades :confused: ]
-switchblades
-butterfly knives
-swords
-hunting knives
-etc. [whatever the hell that means]

Okay:

-kitchen knives
-small pocket knives

thomasanelson
03-30-2007, 3:22 PM
I don't know what you guys are reading, but for primary schools the law states, ", a folding knife with a blade that locks into place,". This is independant of the length. It seems to me that any length blade that locks into place (Spyderco, etc.) would be illegal.

CalNRA
03-30-2007, 3:27 PM
I don't know what you guys are reading, but for primary schools the law states, ", a folding knife with a blade that locks into place,". This is independant of the length. It seems to me that any length blade that locks into place (Spyderco, etc.) would be illegal.

yeah and?

this thread is about UC, which is not a primary school aka k-12.

there is a seperate section on college campuses.

Librarian
03-30-2007, 3:41 PM
In reading these statutes it seems to me that they are intended to be applicable to primary education, but - in lieu of concrete evidence to the contrary - they may be applicable at UCs as well. Any impressions from the legal minds among us?Not a legal authority, but past K-12 schools do not have principals or superintendents - they switch to presidents and chancellors, usually. And past K-12, students are not usually called 'pupils', so I'd say the education code you note is for K-12.

PC 626 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=29809223534+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve), as noted above, makes distinctions - 626.10 (a) is K-12, 10 (b) is college and university. "folding knife with a blade that locks into place" is missing from (b).

I know a couple of CSU cops; one told me his department would object to my Spyderco if they saw it. (Well, he wouldn't hassle me, but others in his department were likely to.)

rkt88edmo
03-30-2007, 5:42 PM
I know a couple of CSU cops; one told me his department would object to my Spyderco if they saw it. (Well, he wouldn't hassle me, but others in his department were likely to.)

Yup, all depends on which way the wind is blowing that day and who you run into. Just because the law is on your side doesn't mean that the PD won't cause you a great deal of inconvenince in the short run. :rolleyes:

AfricanHunter
03-30-2007, 8:00 PM
I carried a SpyderCo Native (or some other folder) everyday I was on UCB campus and never had any problems.

CalNRA
03-30-2007, 9:08 PM
I carried a SpyderCo Native (or some other folder) everyday I was on UCB campus and never had any problems.

I'm going to UCB right now. I know many people who carried for 4 years with no problem. I carried there for 2.5 years with no problem. But my job on camp;us exposed me to the cops so often that I was under pressure to leave it at home. The cops I walked to were the supervior, the supervising sergent, and a third regular cop, and they gave me a uniform answer of "we will arrest and let you fight the DA".

leelaw
03-30-2007, 9:12 PM
they have their own interpretation of what "fixed" means. The scary thing is how willing they are to arrest someone and let them deal with the DAs.

Translation: "uneducated campus ninjas are going to mar your arrest record because they want to interpret the law ina way not aligned with reality or precedent."

CalNRA
03-30-2007, 9:23 PM
Translation: "uneducated campus ninjas are going to mar your arrest record because they want to interpret the law ina way not aligned with reality or precedent."

well, since you can put it more poetically, more power to ya. It's basically holding the students hostage: do what I say or I'll send you to the Alameda county jail. You can "choose" to do so and fight the DA. You "could".

Tyler
03-30-2007, 10:02 PM
"From my cold dead hand!" *translation* they can kiss my *** :D

Tweak338
03-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Carry a small kitchen knife with you. It's for cutting your apples and oranges ;)

Knight
03-30-2007, 10:14 PM
I go to Humboldt State University, a CSU, and I carry three folding knives - one SOG, one Benchmade, and one SpyderCo. Never had any problems.

ocabj
03-30-2007, 10:18 PM
PC 626.10 section b states:

b) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in this state, a person summoned by any officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while the person is actually engaged in assisting any officer, or a member of the military forces of this state or the United States who is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, or knife having a fixed blade longer than 21/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university, the University of California, the California State University, or the California Community Colleges is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.

This allows for folding knives on a UC campus. I carry a folding knife all the time at UCR. I went to a violence in the workplace meeting (mandatory for all UCR staff/faculty) where the UCPD came in and talked about various 'weapons'. They discourage knives and stated that you *should* only have a knife if you use it for daily duties. Personally, I encounter lots of boxes and what have not when taking care of computers that require a nice Benchmade axis-lock knife to open up.

In my 10 years at UCR, I have not heard of any cases where a student on campus was arrested for having a folding knife (non-switchblade) and getting kicked out of school for it.

Knight
03-31-2007, 12:08 AM
Personally, I encounter lots of boxes and what have not when taking care of computers that require a nice Benchmade axis-lock knife to open up.

Mmmm . . . axis-locks . . . :drool:

DedEye
03-31-2007, 2:34 AM
I follow PC626.10(b) at UCSB with my CRKT 4" folder. I've had conversations with police without them noticing it or raising a fuss about it; granted, I wasn't making a big deal of it, so they probably didn't see it. After reading the Equal CCW page about knife laws, I went through every page of the university guidelines and policies to see if there was any mention of school regulations; the closest I found was a provision that basically said "illegal weapons are illegal."

Socal858
03-31-2007, 9:14 AM
thanks everyone!